🌸 Emily's self-care journal

Hey all!

I just turned 28 (an hour ago), and it’s nice to use this opportunity. Let’s say that the 28th year is going to be The Year of Self-Care.

So, this is going to be a journal about self-care.

The previous two journals worked well — I learned about consistent waking-up time and partly fixed my insomnia w/ 🌸 Emily’s insomnia journal, and got much better at creating new routines w/ 🌸 Emily’s tasks journal. So I have trust in this journal as well.

5 Likes

happy birthday!! :tada::blush::bouquet::birthday::gift::balloon::smile:

weekly update

By the end of the week I mostly forgot that it’s a Year or Self Care. I wish it was more prominent in my mind.

Maybe a phone background will work for a while.

quality of life improvements

I bought fluffy socks. See above. I like them. If you have recommendations for the best ever fluffy or fuzzy socks / clothes in general (not itchy), send them my way.

Also bought more teas.

being careful w/ my routines and irritability

Went to visit someone in a different town, but just for one day so that I would still have another weekend day left & wouldn’t break the Sunday routines.

Avoided engaging in a discussion that I knew would irritate me.

Used earphones to block distracting/annoying things (I rarely do this).

tracking

Using a food tracker as the first step towards “three meals a day”. I don’t have high hopes for it, because I also have screen time tracking and it hasn’t helped with reducing screen time. But we’ll see.

Using a mood tracker (Apple Health). I also don’t see how it might help, but I like the actual process of recording the mood, so I’ll keep using it.

In two weeks I’ll start another “month without caffeine” and we’ll see if I can spot a difference in my mood.

drinking and vaping

Didn’t, because it leads to headaches & sleepiness & low energy.

psychiatry

Had an appointment with a psychiatrist re/ ADHD, maybe he’ll also recommend something re/ anxiety.

gratitude journal?

I don’t want to use the forum gratitude journal, so I might use my diary as a gratitude journal. I won’t be creating a routine for now, though, to avoid routine overload.

self-care

“I feed bad, I will buy a [chocolate wafer] for myself.” A yogurt. Crepes.

1 Like

weekly update

PHONE BACKGROUND:
The phone background is vaguely working. I keep being anxious about things (like being stuck with a job that doesn’t pay enough) and then remembering “this is a Year of Self Care, not a Year of Finding a Better Job”. It calms me down.

GRATITUDE JOURNAL:
I don’t think a gratitude journal is working, but also I’m not doing it consistently. I very rarely feel an unambiguous feeling of “being grateful”. Maybe eventually I’ll start feeling it more.

• update: one positive effect from a gratitude journal is that I can also imagine that someone might be grateful to me for things. Like, “I’m glad that $job organizes non-work things like bone marrow donations etc”. But I also organize things (at school, or meetups, etc).

MEDS:
Hoping that ADHD & anxiety meds would have a big impact on my mood / quality of life? The next appointment is tomorrow, we’ll see what comes out of it.

NO STIMULANTS:
I started the “no stimulants for a month” experiment, so far it turns out that without caffeine I’m sleepier and my bones ache. Also it happened twice that I played Civ 6 till 5-7am. Not sure if decreased willpower (?) is a symptom of giving up caffeine, or unrelated. I also feel vaguely… calm and empty-headed, but in a sad way. Idk. Anyway, I’m sleepy right now so maybe I actually generally don’t feel like that.

NO DRINKING:
Nowadays even small amounts of alcohol give me a headache, so I don’t drink anymore. Nice.

SELF-CARE:
I occasionally spot “oh, my mood is going down” and then do something nice for myself, like buying a snack or making tea. I also justify more things via self-care, like “I won’t be working at home, because I will be irritated… because self-care.”

1 Like

weekly update

GRATITUDE JOURNAL:
doing it very occasionally. Still not noticing any particular changes.

MEDS:
got Strattera, I think it has improved my internal state. Judging by the mood log (although it’s too early to tell), looks I don’t feel bad as often as before.

NO STIMULANTS:
I feel ok without caffeine. Zero idea if it improved my sleep, b/c now Strattera made it worse again. I don’t feel a need for caffeine now but I am looking forward to drinking coffee again. Not thinking about vaping at all is kinda neat though.

NO DRINKING:
still nice. Removed “tiny bars” from my Tinder profile.

SELF-CARE:
occasionally doing things “because self-care”, but maybe not really. However, I’m bad at noticing changes in myself anyway.

I think the big things I can do for myself are “sleep better”, “get anxiety meds”, and “take things less seriously in general in life”. The last one is going to be long-term.

2 Likes

weekly update

GRATITUDE JOURNAL:
I only do it when I’m writing these updates. No motivation.

MEDS:
I think Strattera is making life somewhat easier. Tasks get done with less resistance. I still want anti-anxiety meds though. Or anti-depressants. I don’t know. Seems like perhaps often my mood is ok simply because I’m pushing the upsetting things out of my mind…?

NO STIMULANTS:
I still feel ok without caffeine/vaping. Perhaps after the month is over, I can have a thing like “coffee only in social situations”. But I’m not sure how much it contributes to a sense of a calmer life.

NO DRINKING:
yeah, still glad about it. This is not a “making life happier” kind of thing, but definitely an “avoiding adverse effects” kind of thing.

BETTER SLEEP:
after the clock went back, I got an extra hour before work. So I get up at 7am now, a bit before the alarm, and have time for breakfast and Overwatch and not having to hurry. Going to sleep at 10.30–11am might be doable. At least it’s doable right now, but a friend is visiting so maybe that’s why.

SOCIAL LIFE:
went hanging out with someone from Tinder and it was fun. I’m worried that I will give up on Tinder / visiting couchsurfers / etc because organizing anything social feels hard. Idk.

SELF-CARE:
still occasionally doing things “because self-care”. Bought sweets because I was feeling meh. Went home from work because I forgot a pain-relieving spray ← this is a concrete example of the concept of “self-care” changing the actual behavior; I wouldn’t have returned otherwise.

minor things:

• raising self-esteem somehow would be nice. idk how to do it.
  • I have mostly stopped sharing my problems/worries w/ people around me, and it’s possibly bad.
  • reading kinder books might be good. “kinder” as in “having an outlook that the reader is ok, even if they have [issues]”. like ADHD books that don’t blame the person for having ADHD.
1 Like

are there books that blame us for having ADD? how horrible

1 Like

I had a conversation about gratitude the other day. The conclusion was that it is really hard to feel gratitude for the status quo because as humans we just naturally get adapted to things.

For example, you might realize that you should be grateful for being healthy, but until you lay in bed with fever for a couple of days it doesn’t sink in on an emotional level. Or I remember having a knot at a particular part of my body that shall not be further specified, and waiting for the test results over the weekend was one of the most stressful experiences ever. I felt genuine gratitude when the results came back negative the following Monday.

To fight the adaption to the status quo, we can purposefully bring ourselves into uncomfortable situations. Some ideas that may be more or less challenging depending on the type of person you are:

1. Only cold showers for one week. In winter, one will really appreciate warm water the next day.
  2. 16-hours, 3-day or 7-day fasts. One will never find an apple that tastes as good as an apple after one week of fasting.
  3. Sleep on the floor one night per week. One will really appreciate their bed again.
  4. Sleep in the forest for one day (in the winter, you can use a sleeping bag and tent). One will really, really appreciate their bed again.
  5. Mediate for an hour and do not at any cost move any part of your body. Oh my god, we can move our body. How blessed we are.

I don’t know if any of that is helpful, but maybe the message is that you don’t have to feel bad that gratitude journaling doesn’t do anything for you. I feel like it never worked for me either, and it makes sense from an evolutionary perspective that it doesn’t.

2 Likes

I meant “as opposed to the prevailing consensus that [adhd behaviors] are bad for you and for people around you”. Like, I don’t encounter an explicitly sympathetic POV anywhere except adhd books.

1 Like

Nah, I don’t feel bad. I didn’t have any expectations from it anyway.

I still suspect, though, that it might be one of those things that don’t seem to have any effect at first but eventually “take off”.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s some research showing that in some situations, like if you try to force it, or do it every day, gratitude journals can backfire!

I cannot imagine a more toxic and harmful attitude than “you should be grateful!” Barf! No thanks.

With those kind of thought processes, a person is guaranteed to be miserable and never feel grateful!

But it’s not hard to tune into appreciation of what you have, if you purge yourself of the toxic viewpoint that gratitude is like eating your veggies!

1 Like

can you explain? what kinds of negative views or messages do you get elsewhere?

I’d rather not (at least right now). I don’t think it’s a bad line of inquiry, I’m just not feeling like going there.

1 Like

Fair enough. I have a lot of self-judgment for it that I don’t even realize so it really helps to see your comment - I’m trying to be more aware of this.

1 Like

I will clarify a bit about ADHD and “explicit understanding” vs “not blaming”.

In normal life, I encounter several reactions to ADHD related issues:

• Screw-ups are silently ignored. This is the biggest category. People generally don’t tell me “hey, you’re bad for not replying to my emails” or “what took you so long with [this task]” to my face.

• Screw-ups are pointed out kindly, like “don’t you see this is bad for you?”. Eg. I had someone tell me that constantly keeping messengers open & getting distracted might prevent me from being productive or achieving my goals. But I felt like the underlying current was “you should try to stop”.

• Screw-ups are pointed out neutrally, like “this is what the consequences are going to be”. This doesn’t even have to be directed at me. In fact, it might even be generated by me. I know that I hold as truth things like “quick replies are much much better than slow replies”, or “the consequences of replying slowly is that people would talk to you less”, etc. I don’t know where those thoughts came from. I said “prevailing consensus” in my previous post, but honestly I don’t know if it’s a consensus, or just something I came up with and saw vaguely confirmed somehow/somewhere/by someone.

• Screw-ups are actually treated as personal failures. “You forgot about X, I’m disappointed/angry/etc”. I’m lucky to not have to deal with this often, I think.

Now, in contrast, here is a quote from “Driven to Distraction” (a book about ADHD):

In some ways [ADD without hyperactivity] is a charming symptom. The mind meanders like a brook, winding through the contours of the land, bending here, falling there, quietly making its way, in its own time, to some larger river of thought.

But in other ways it is anything but charming. It can be downright disabling not to be able to rely on your own mind to remember things, to prompt you to get to places on time, to keep you involved in a conversation when you want to be, or focused on a page you really do want to read, or concentrated on a project you need to complete.

Like… it doesn’t persuade me to try harder either for my sake or others’ sake; doesn’t want anything from me. It just makes me seen. “Your brain is missing a basic ability that others’ brains have”. Stated like this, explicit kindness or forgiveness is just unnecessary. I don’t feel the need to be forgiven any more than (stealing an example from the book again) a nearsighted person needs to be forgiven for needing glasses.

No idea if I explained it clearly, but I’ve been writing this for half an hour already so I’ll stop for now.

1 Like

weekly update

GRATITUDE JOURNAL:
I keep finding more things to be grateful about. It’s pretty neat. I still think it might have long-term effect, so I’m not going to officially give up.

MEDS:
I’ve become calmer with Strattera, more self-accepting, less high-strung. I think. Also neat. I don’t know why I’ve been at 18mg for the last month when people usually start with 40mg and quickly get to 80mg, but unfortunately there are still no appointment slots so I can’t discuss this with my psychiatrist. Ok. Later.

NO STIMULANTS:
Decided to just not smoke or vape at all. It’s going to be fine. Also, drank some coffee today after a month without caffeine, and almost instantly felt anxious. I will keep this in mind.

BETTER SLEEP:
Met someone and now sleep will be worse for a while. It’s alright / worth it. It does go against the goal of self-care, but ok.

NOT BEING HUNGRY:
It already happened a few times that I explicitly bought food / made food / etc “so that I wouldn’t be hungry”. I usually don’t think about the future, so it’s a welcome change and I look forward to… explicitly managing my mood?.. more often. A few months ago I made a memo that “I have no idea what to do when I feel bad or how to stop myself from feeling bad”, but it looks like now I have at least one actionable idea, so that’s good.

minor things:

• The caffeine experiment is over. According to the mood journal, my mood didn’t change when I went from 400-600mg/day to zero. But at the same time I still know that it’s very easy for me to not notice basically anything about myself; regardless of whether I feel good or bad, I perceive it as “yeah, this is fine”. I don’t feel happier without caffeine, but I think I feel calmer, and I want to feel calmer even if it doesn’t translate into happiness.

• I definitely feel better when I have rich interactions with people, though. Working together / collaborating on something, playing board games, watching a movie and often pausing to discuss, walking, traveling, running somewhere, cuddling, anything. For now I won’t think about how to actually accomplish this, but I’ll just leave it as a note.

• I’d like to not fall into spirals when I watch YouTube for many hours several days in a row. Idk how not to do that.

1 Like

weekly update

GRATITUDE JOURNAL:
When you constantly fail to reach a goal, you need a different goal. I don’t want to do a gratitude journal every day, but once a week – I already more or less end up doing that when writing these updates. So I’ve just set a weekly reminder.

MEDS:
I’m constantly sleepy. I don’t know if Strattera is to blame. I’ll have another appointment soon and will see if I can get the dose increased / if I can get anti-anxiety meds.

ANXIETY:
I think I have a slightly better attitude towards anxiety now. “I have anxiety” has been helpful. “Anxiety is just a thing that happens to me” is new, and might also turn out to be helpful.

NO STIMULANTS:
Still not smoking, still not vaping; I already noticed that coffee causes anxiety, but it was much more effective to notice that coffee also acts as a laxative. So, mostly drinking decaf now.

BETTER SLEEP:
Sleep is still bad for the same reason as before. Also, I know that naps are bad for me, but I still take naps when I’m sleepy during the day. It’s cold in Warsaw now and I don’t have “go out” as a particularly convenient alternative to napping anymore. There’s not much to do outside, either. One thing I’m glad about is that I now believe that being sleepy at 11pm is normal, and that going to bed in the evening is entirely possible for me – while previously I thought that I would never be content with going to sleep earlier than 1am.

minor things:

• It’s nice that Anki makes me have at least one chore that I can do on my phone and that doesn’t feel destructive like YouTube / news.

• It’s getting easier for me to prioritize self-care in favor of work. “I’ll wash my hair now because I’m annoyed, even though it’s working hours”.

3 Likes

weekly update

Looking back – I think I’ve gotten better at self-care in the past months.

I remember how drinking/smoking/caffeine affects me, and it’s much easier to not go in circles thinking “I feel bad, should I smoke or not”.

Going to sleep early, and waking up, have become easier. Things like “I feel bad so I’ll go and eat something” have become easier as well. I no longer reliably run out of money. I’ve stopped blaming myself as often for ignoring scary tasks. I think I’ve started taking things less seriously in general.

Telling people no (eg. couchsurfers), or running away from people when I’m feeling bad, became easier too. I’ve accepted that my mood can change for no reason, and it’s nice.

4 Likes

weekly update

I skipped the previous weekly update because I skipped everything that week. Don’t remember why exactly anymore. This week I’m slowly getting my routines back.

I think getting a therapist would be good for me, because there are changes in [things I care about, etc] that happened kinda by themselves over the years, and it’s possible a therapist can help me get [other good changes] faster. For example – I would be less anxious if I didn’t feel like I can’t solve anything all the time. Anxiety might be less built-in than ADHD, for me.

Did a tiny portion of a CBT anxiety workbook.

Didn’t go to a christmas party at work, because I had a fever.

Got a haircut and coloring! (and paid way too much but I like it).

Got more magnesium.

Bought an Instax Mini to take physical photos of chats that give me anxiety (so that there’s a reward for replying). Another example of “spending money to help myself”.

3 Likes

weekly update

Idk what to say. I think I’ve gotten better at tracking when I could use some self-care, and then actually doing it.

The next step is probably treating my limitations / mood swings / etc more kindly — like I would want myself to treat other people, or like I would want other people to treat each other. For example, “it’s tough to enjoy life when you have no energy in winter and feel sleepy right after working”, instead of “going to sleep is the wrong thing to do and you/I shouldn’t do it or else life will be bad”.

2 Likes