Help with IFTTT tracking for getting to school on time

Hi all, I need your input. The idea is that I want to get to school each day by a certain time, say 9 AM. I am thinking of setting up a specific email account that will receive an email by 9 AM from my school computer. When the email is received by the 9 AM deadline, could I use IFTTT to send a data entry point to Beeminder which will be the goal for each day (Do More).

In short, I want to create an applet in IFTTT where the “this” is sending an email with a specific subject line or to a specific address before 9 AM. The “that” will be logging a success in Beeminder. Each day I send the email on time, IFTTT triggers and logs a point to my “Do More” goal.

I have not used IFTTT before - is this possible? Easy or complex to implement? Any other simpler ways to do this?

I do plan to block this new email domain at home so I can enforce this goal.

1 Like

You can use iOS shortcuts to detect your location and replace ifttt. Everything would run on your phone

1 Like

I just set up an automation for my gym goal, will let you know if it works for me

1 Like

Hello all, I was able to do this using BM and an IFTTT applet on the free plan. It was pretty straightforward. First, I set up the BM goal “getting to work by 9 AM on 5 out of 7 days”. The deadline for the goal should be the time I wanted to be at work - 9 AM. The IFTTT trigger is to send IFTTT an email using the tag #atwork and the action would be to use the BM integration to add +1 to the BM goal. Finally, I setup a new throwaway email with a complex password that can be accessed only from my computer at work. I have used it the past couple of days and it has worked well. It has helped provide me the “escape velocity” to actually leave my home and get to work.

1 Like