How to beeminding tasks (TODO Items)?

I’d be interested to know of all the ways you can beemind one-off tasks (todo items).

I’ve heard of GTBee (only for ios) and habitica (formerly life rpg). Are there any other options?

Personally, I use emacs org-mode to write down things to do, ocassionally I use google calenar. Both without beeminder integration. I’ll take a closer look at habitica.

What I’d really like, I think, is a way to track (or beemind as a do-less goal) total time overdue. If there was one task due tuesday and one due thursday, and now is saturday, the total time overdue would be 4 + 2 = 6.

3 Likes

I use Todoist, with an IFTTT integration to a Beeminder do more goal for total tasks done. Then I have a separate do more goal which counts days where I have no tasks overdue.

I don’t know of a good way to automatically Beemind total time overdue. I go a different route and just commit to rescheduling anything I don’t get to in the future. That’s partly a philosophy thing; it doesn’t make sense to me to have a plan to do something yesterday, rather the plan should be updated. It’s also practical, as in the past whenever I would fall behind on tasks I was very likely to abandon the system.

This means that sometimes I am behind on pick out a few easy things to do let other things slide for longer than I should, but on the other hand maybe when I am not as motivated it is correct to just get something done. I have recently added a time based goal to spend time on longer term projects that I haven’t been getting to to help with that.

1 Like

I do this with Trello and beemind.me! Also helps to turn on Trello’s card-aging feature which shows older cards as more grayed out. My problem is that doing anything to a card, even rearranging it, makes it count as new again so it’s a constant struggle to not get weaselly about that.

1 Like

It’s fallen by the wayside, but I used to beemind the size of my task backlog in a ‘do less’ goal.

My particular implementation used Tinderbox, but the principles might be inspirational.

1 Like

Complice, all the way.

@malcolm is the wizard behind this fantastic tool, and is known for both his radically active development of Complice as well as going out of his way to support his users. Like Beeminder, Complice is undeniably innovative, can be scaled up or down to where ever you’d like it to be, and (perhaps most importantly for this context) has built in integration with Beeminder.

Take a crack at it and see what you think.

2 Likes

I second this.

Complice’s Arbitrary Beeminder Task integration will send data points to any Beeminder graph you specify when you check off an item on your Complice to-do list. And Complice now has a nifty “recent not-dones” feature that shows you the tasks you didn’t check off yesterday or the day before—I bet there’s a way to use that to auto-track time overdue. Possibly the Complice auto-integration with Workflowy could be useful there, too—I’m sure @malcolm could help you figure out if it can.

2 Likes

Complice creator here! :wave:

Hmm, I think that beeminding overdue tasks with Complice would be hard. Like, I doubt it’d be possible given the current integrations, which mostly only address the tasks you put in for the day.

Would it be possible to build? Well, Complice doesn’t really have the notion of due dates for tasks. The only day you can put a task in for is today, and if you don’t do it, Complice doesn’t remotely assume that that task is still worth doing. This is very core to the philosophy of Complice.

I could add beeminding overdueness to the top priorities though (which do have a sort of due date). People have been asking about beeminding top priorities, so that’s worth thinking about this…

One way you could maybe do it yourself would be to use workflowy and use the opusfluxus (“work flow” in latin) javascript wrapper I made to connect, and then each day search for things tagged #2016-XX-YY and add up the deltas for items earlier than today. Complice plays well with that tag :slight_smile:

2 Likes