Is there an equivalent to the Stats box for actual data points?

I’m in the early phases of testing a goal and finding how steep I want it to be.

I was looking at the ‘Stats’ box in the right hand column but it took me a moment to figure out that the numbers are for the Yellow Brick Road itself, and not for the values I’ve actually entered over the last few days.

Currently my trajectory is well above the road, and it would be useful to see the extrapolations of my average daily/weekly rate from real data (perhaps even next to these values for the Yellow Brick Road?)

Obviously it’s trivial to calculate it myself from the few points I’ve added so far, but if I start beeminding many more goals and tuning them from my real usage these would be useful numbers to just have on the screen without any further work.

Alternatively, I’d be delighted to be told that this data is already displayed somewhere and I’m just missing it like some sort of eager fool :smiley:

Thanks.

6 Likes

I have a very janky dashboard that shows your average data rates compared to the previous period as well as the goal’s target.

2 Likes

Very cool, thanks @drtall.

Looks simple enough, and like it’ll do the job nicely. I’ll have a play with it this evening - thanks very much!

1 Like

Cool! You reminded me I have some unsubmitted stuff sitting in my local repo, which include a Slack integration and a pre-vacation warning system. Let me know if you want me to clean them up and commit them.

1 Like

Nice. Probably not necessary for my current needs - just an automated average of my actual data will be enough. The vacation system sounds interesting. If I end up depending on your dash I’ll know where to come knocking for the new feature :wink:

2 Likes

Okay, @drtall, I’ve got around to running this script and I’m a little more confused than I thought I was.

On running beedash.py I just get a syntax error on the final line of the script (which looks fine to me, so my instincts tell me I’m doing something more fundamentally wrong).

Your comments at the top of beedash.py suggest to “open beedash.html” but I don’t see a beedash.html anywhere within the project. They also say to run beebegone.py first, but that appears to be an unrelated project of yours - I’m not seeing how that will help?

I did try this - I installed the google api via pip, then added auth for both the gmail api and beeminder to the new secrets.py, but beebegone.py also fails with a syntax error (missing parenthesis on print statement - weird).

I was expecting that running beedash.py from the command prompt would display the dashboard (command-prompt-tool-style), but it appears my assumption was misguided and I ought to be using your missing beedash.html file to execute the script?

Or am I going about this in wholly the wrong way?

Apologies for taking up your time but any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Edit: I just read the code in more detail (yes, I should have done this already!) and realised that the end goal of the script is to print the html file, so things are making a lot more sense. Will put some effort into figuring out why the script just isn’t working, though the error message isn’t super helpful and it’s been a long time since I’ve done any python debugging. Will update if I get it working but I don’t want to spend too long on this so might wait in case there are some common errors I might have made.

1 Like

Go and add your wishes to this thread:

2 Likes

Thanks @insti, I just found that thread and liked all the relevant posts in it and the thread itself.

Not sure if the etiquette is for me to post “+1 to this idea” over there or not, but the suggested implementation in that thread from @dreev would be exactly what I was hoping for.

1 Like

Getting @dreev to notice your requests is a helpful step toward getting them implemented, so bumping that thread might be a good idea.

2 Likes

@drtall I got it working!

Turns out I was using Python 3, and your script was for Python 2. Found out about a script called 2to3, which converted most of it, then I just had to deal with one more error where the json object expected a string but was getting bytes, a quick google later and the script works in python 3.

(Yes, I could have just downgraded, but where’s the fun in that :p)

Thanks for this, I think it’ll be very useful.

3 Likes

@mary has a script for that. I love the concept of automatic slope-finding so much that I think it ought to be the default for newbee goals…

3 Likes

Doh, sorry to have wasted your time that way. Is there a convention for how to indicate that a particular module is python 2?

Not to my knowledge, but then the entire distinction was lost on me until this morning! I didn’t mind, it was a learning experience :wink:

1 Like