Is Total Buffer a better metric than Urgency Load?

Use BUI :slight_smile:

3 Likes

very late to reply here again, but seconding this very much!

i would love this! but why not make urgency load also account for autoratchets? :)

very late thank you to @dreev for the answer and :handshake: to what @philip said!

to add some original thoughts that came to my head after reading through this thread again:

for me, what any metric like this (including the current urgency load) is missing, is a reference point. yes, with urgency load we can say we always strive to get 0 (disregarding autoratcheted goals for a moment), but an urgency load of e.g. 7 could mean a lot of very different things:

• you have 1 goal and itā€™s a beemergency today (immediate action required!)
  • you have 7 goals with 6 days of buffer each (definitely no immediate action required)
  • anything in between those two

so i guess i would prefer it to say 7/7 or 7/49, or something like that. and this is especially where taking autoratchets into account would be lovely!

how do people who regularly use urgency load as a useful metric for themselves deal with this? i guess after a while you get a feeling for what range of urgency load is doable for you?

personally, i love the goal dashboard view where it shows me the coloured frames. easily at one glance i see which goals are red, which are orange, which are blue, which are green; and i know of course which of the red and orange ones are purposefully that colour and thus maybe couldnā€™t be ā€œpromotedā€ to the next higher colour. then i can work my way through them from most to least urgent, until i donā€™t feel like it anymore. works like a charm so far! :)
(of course this is not really beemind-able, but also iā€™ve never felt a strong urge to meta-beemind anything yet; probably donā€™t have enough goals for that yet :p)

1 Like

Thatā€™s actually a good idea. Maybe it could make what the autorachet is set too count as 7. Though I could see some saying it makes urgency load less useful.

2 Likes

easy workaround: having the option to choose and switch between the two however one prefers. :) (ā€œeasyā€ from the user-perspective; probably extra difficult to program.)

1 Like

Really good questions and ideas here. Iā€™ve been trying an experimental feature to keep both Urgency Load and Total Buffer on my dashboard:

But alas, without actually beeminding it, Iā€™ve just become banner-blind to it! :person_with_white_cane:

So I still donā€™t know which, if either, Iā€™d expect to be more useful.

I guess this means I need to try beeminding it! Ok, here I go:

As for whether Urgency Load and/or Total Buffer should account for autoratchets ā€“ also not obvious! (Reminder to ourselves that making it a setting because we donā€™t know which choice is better is a classic red flag.)

1 Like

fascinating blog post! i guess i stand corrected about making it a setting.

so hereā€™s my impassioned argument for absolutely making urgency load and total buffer (if that becomes a thing) account for autoratchets:

• i definitely wouldnā€™t use them if they donā€™t account for autoratchets!
  • it is much more motivating if everyone is theoretically able to achieve the ā€œbestā€ number.
  • having the ā€œbestā€ number be the same for everyone makes it more useful as a tool for comparing yourself with other people. obviously the amount of goals plays a huge part in this, having 60% total buffer with two goals is much less ā€œimpressiveā€ than having 60% total buffer with 200 goalsā€”theyā€™re still easier to compare, though, if we know they both could reach ā€œ100%ā€. otherwise youā€™d always have to say ā€œi know 60% total buffer doesnā€™t sound like a lot, but iā€™m actually unable to get past 80% because of my autoratchets, so the numberā€™s really much higher, actuallyā€. (same would be true for urgency load, my brainā€™s just better at dealing with % right now.)
  • if urgency load/total buffer donā€™t account for autoratchets, and someone in the forum speaks proudly of their 98% buffer / 5 urgency load / whatever, i would feel annoyed and left out, because my own goal choices (which i like and have chosen in the spirit of beeminder, iā€™d like to think!) would prevent me from attaining that same achievement. (satisfying numbers make brain go brr)
  • speaking of achievements, there might be another ā€œfree goalā€ idea here: +1 free goal the first time you reach 0 urgency load / 100% buffer (having at least 2 active goals and having beeminded for at least a week, or something like that)ā€”if this were a way to get +1 free goal, youā€™d have to account for autoratchets, imo, because not doing so would be incredibly unfair to everyone who would otherwise qualify. (i realise that autoratcheting is currently still a premium feature, but iirc itā€™s on the near-ish roadmap to be rolled out for everyone; and even if it werenā€™t, people might like an additional free goal after their subscriptions run out, for example.)

i hope my rambling makes sense and isnā€™t too incoherent :)

1 Like

Since my original post, I got accustomed to tracking total buffer as percentage. This is really good, because it measures my efforts against my time.

With my do more goals, I canā€™t create limitless amount of them. I have to track if I can fit them into my routine.

2 Likes

You see urgency load and total buffer as %

3 Likes