Narthur's Microblog

Been thinking about journaling. So here are some cool writing apps that use sticks and carrots:

750 Words #webapp - “I’ve long been inspired by an idea I first learned about in The Artist’s Way called morning pages. Morning pages are three pages of writing done every day, typically encouraged to be in “long hand”, typically done in the morning, that can be about anything and everything that comes into your head. It’s about getting it all out of your head, and is not supposed to be edited or censored in any way. The idea is that if you can get in the habit of writing three pages a day, that it will help clear your mind and get the ideas flowing for the rest of the day. Unlike many of the other exercises in that book, I found that this one actually worked and was really really useful.” $5 / month.

Cold Turkey Writer - “The magic of typewriting, for your computer. Writer transforms your computer into a typewriter, which forces you to do nothing but write.” Freemium.

Fighter’s Block #webapp - “Fighter’s Block is a writing app that exploits conditioning to overcome writer’s block and sheer laziness. Rewards for writing and punishments for stopping are wrapped in a battle system inspired by turn-based RPGs.”

The Most Dangerous Writing App #webapp - “Don’t stop writing, or all progress will be lost.”

Plant-a-Page - “It’s simple: for every day you write, we plant a tree for you.” $9.99/month.

Worst Draft #software - “Worst Draft is a minimalist word processor that removes the two biggest roadblocks for writers: editing & distractions. Users will be unable to delete anything more than a few most recently typed words, and they will also be unable to access any other applications without first closing Worst Draft.”

Written? Kitten! #webapp - Rewards writing with pictures of kittens.

Way more writing apps I looked at here, most of which don’t actually use carrots and sticks.

And a couple videos about journaling: