New Month's Resolutions

Thanks for creating this thread, @shanaqui! I am planning on doing the whole year.

This is my index post: New Month's Resolutions - #8 by felixm.

For January, my goal is meditation retrospective. I have noticed that the quality of my meditation sessions has started to fluctuate widely over the last couple of months. Sometimes I hit really deep states, and sometimes I am solving Problem Euler or AoC challenges in my head for the whole hour.

The purpose of this goal is to send a (at least) sixty seconds voice message to myself after each meditation session, reflecting on how focused I was and what my mind was mostly occupied with. My hope is that this will improve my awareness and intention.

It may seem counter intuitive to do it after the session, but there is already an intention setting at the beginning of the session. My idea is that knowing that I will have to justify myself to myself will subconsciously help me to try harder. We will see how it goes.

5 Likes

I will give this a try as well!

1. poisson/waterpik
  2. poisson/evening_routine
  3. [TBD]
  4. [TBD]
  5. [TBD]
  6. [TBD]
  7. [TBD]
  8. [TBD]
  9. [TBD]
  10. [TBD]
  11. [TBD]
  12. [TBD]
3 Likes

With an excess of zeal, I started my January plank goal already a couple of days ago, so I already have a bit of a feel for whether this is going to work. I’m starting from quite humble beginnings as I’ve lost a lot of fitness/strength of late (partly due to being unable to walk for a while after my operation, and then because I couldn’t get back into my routines). I’m trying to use the comments on each datapoint to write down how it went.

So far, I’ve established that I can hold the very easiest plank (on forearms + knees) for at least a minute, which was suggested as a good time to move up the difficulty. So now I’m doing forearms + toes, and I can’t hold that for a minute yet. Technically my goal only requires one plank, and doesn’t specify the length, but I dropped down onto my knees and went for a little bit longer like that.

Nice side effect: I was feeling a bit restless, which my body was interpreting as anxiety, but settling in to get my plank done burned off some of that and settled me down.

4 Likes

Here’s my index post. This will tie in really well with monthly reflections and seasonal priorities. Twelve months of experimenting and goal-setting! Here’s my index post:

1. more regular piano practice
  2. fewer pastries, because they’re too tasty!
  3. TBD
  4. TBD
  5. TBD
  6. TBD
  7. TBD
  8. TBD
  9. TBD
  10. TBD
  11. TBD
  12. TBD
3 Likes

Ok I’m in for this. I find full New Year resolutions too daunting somehow - I think it’s because I fear I will inevitably derail at some point, and I hate to feel I’ve failed at these things (I know, I know, “derailing it is nailing it!”). A month at a time sounds more like it. Bird by bird, as the great Anne L. (and Ted L., too) said.

1. chess practice
  2. artistic endeavours
  3. sun salutations, and also thinking about a particular problem
  4. TBD
  5. TBD
  6. TBD
  7. TBD
  8. TBD
  9. TBD
  10. TBD
  11. TBD
  12. TBD
4 Likes

Since I’ve decided on the first goal and updated the index post, I may as well explain.

My parents got me a waterpik (water flosser) for Christmas, so in the spirit of beeminding what you buy, I made a goal to use it 6 times per week.

5 Likes

I’m in. I didn’t originally intend to do Dry January, but it turns out that I haven’t had any alcohol this month, so I’ll make that my January resolution (and funnily enough, I can feel my resistance immediately rise now that I’ve formally committed!)

1. No alcohol
  2. TBD
  3. TBD
  4. TBD
  5. TBD
  6. TBD
  7. TBD
  8. TBD
  9. TBD
  10. TBD
  11. TBD
  12. TBD

I’ll set up the Beeminding later

5 Likes

January Goal

(I copied this out of my index post as I realised it probably made more sense to give myself more space to meander. I plan to post some comments after the goals reach the end of the month as well.

journal

A goal to write entries in my DayOne journal, set to need 50 new entries over the next five weeks. I have lots of things - mostly old memories - I keep meaning to write about but am suffering from the ‘blank notebook’ problem where I feel I have to write something perfect to start with rather than just getting going. Automated with a shortcut on iOS that posts how many entries are in that journal twice a day.

February Goal

eveningtidyup

For the last few years I’ve been doing a lot of my cleaning/tidying up tasks first thing in the morning in the time that was otherwise wasted. I’m now able to stay asleep until the time when I plan to work and getting up earlier to do chores by choice is no fun but neither is feeling like I ought to clean the kitchen or tidy my desk before getting to work. This goal is to try and change my habits so I leave things tidy in the evening. Set to 4/week over 5 weeks.

3 Likes

January /plank goal update:

I kept it up through the whole month, and decided to keep it through at least the next month as well. I’ve slightly reduced the rate so I can take a rest day each week, and also think through a bit more of a training plan to increase how long I can hold a plank for.

I don’t feel like I’ve made a lot of progress: I’m still only able to hold a forearms+toes plank with reasonably good form for about 45 seconds. That said, I gave a hands-and-toes “full” plank a go, and held that for 30 seconds.

February /morningpages goal:

I was tempted to do another fitness type goal this month to keep ramping it up. But the one I have in mind isn’t new to me, I know exactly the rate etc I want to use and how I want to do it, so instead I’ve decided to do a morning pages goal. The idea is that more or less first thing, you sit down and handwrite three pages, dumping out all your thoughts. It’s supposed to be a creative tool, but I was reading Roland Allen’s The Notebook: A History of Thinking on Paper, and it seemed worth trying in general for de-stressing. Also, it seems like a nice thing to help me create a morning routine and get myself off the ground a bit better.

So I’ve given it a rate of 3/day, decided I’ll try it on weekends as well, and we’ll see how it goes. I started with a couple of days of leeway since it’s not February yet, but… I’m starting already, to see if e.g. using my reMarkable feels right, or whether I want to buy a paper journal for it. I’ve already decided that the infinite scroll on my reMarkable is a no-go, but I’ll try tomorrow with creating a new page each time I reach the bottom, instead of scrolling.

2 Likes

January /meditation-retro update

I would call meditation-retro a minor success. I haven’t made any major breakthroughs, but I have been more consistent and intentional about my meditation practice achieving slightly deeper states than on average over the last six months. I will keep the goal for now.

February /freggies goal:

More fruits and vegetables in my life are probably not going to hurt. The main motivation is that the goal should force me to pack healthy snacks for work hopefully allowing me to eat them instead of the unhealthy snacks that we have there.

I have set the goal to three servings per day aiming to go for 80g per saving but I will allow myself to eyeball a fist size amount when I am not motivated to get the scale out or whatever.

I seem to not have an OG enough forum level to edit my index post which makes me very sad.

3 Likes

Interesting! I took for granted that we could keep editing, because I can. :thinking: But of course I have workerbee-level permissions (though I’m not an admin).

Do you know anything about forum permissions, @dreev? Is there anything we can do to turn editing on for people in the long-term? Since Discourse keeps an edit trail, it seems like a low-risk thing for people who we know are in good faith to be able to do, if it’s possible…

3 Likes

Ah, I could edit my own post a couple of days ago, but now I can’t. It looks like it’s a 30 day limit.

1 Like

January/February transition report

Here’s a link back to my index post: New Month's Resolutions - #13 by clivemeister

January checkmate

January’s goal was a definite success! I was focusing on improving my chess, and am very pleased to see I went up over 120 ELO points through the month. This was a combination of working on my openings, together with lots of tactical practice, and a good number of games. Several days I wouldn’t have done the work unless Beeminder had been holding me to account, so this is a big improvement over where I would have been otherwise.

I plan to continue this goal at a lower rate through February, and hope to see further progress!

Metaminding February

This coming month I’ll be following through on another one of my goals for 2024, which is to start taking my art more seriously. I’ve several different avenues here, so I’ve set up a top-level metaminding goal for “art”, and several sub-goals (drawing, painting, calligraphy) are feeding into that. (I was delighted to find that this many-to-one metaminding goal was super-simple to set up! Kudos to the devs for building a great general-purpose tool in there!)

4 Likes

January Goal: practice the piano more often

/keys

This was a piano practice goal, which got +1 for any practice session >15 minutes, although many sessions were longer. It’s a bit like going to the gym where the hard part is getting started. I’ve been taking lessons again for a few months now, but the fall was a chaotic time and I had to take a few weeks off. I wanted to re-focus, now that life is a bit more normal, and this goal accomplished that. I practiced 16/31 days in January, which is a great improvement – especially if you consider the slump I had in the fall. I’m going to keep this going as long as I’m taking lessons. This rate seems to be forgiving of the days when I don’t have the time or the right mindset to get a good practice session in, but keeps me practicing frequently enough to feel prepared for my lessons.

February Goal: eat pastries less often

/pastries

I love croissants. I have since I was a kid. And now I live in England, where some hypothesized that we have neared a coffee shop saturation point (Is the UK reaching coffee shop saturation point? - 2017) because it’s so easy to stumble across one. And nearly every one has a delicious, flaky pastry selection. You can even get your meal deal with a pastry! I rue the day I made that discovery. I need to impose an external limit on my pastry consumption, becuase it’s reasonable to have them as a treat once or twice a week, but I’m trying to improve my body composition, and with that in mind I should be focusing on savoring my coffee instead of buttery treats.

I’m trying a do-less goal with a limit of a pastry every 5 days, which seems reasonable. This will let me enjoy the pastry guilt-free on the days I’m allowed, and limit myself when it’s over-indulgent. We’ll see how it goes!

3 Likes

How about now? I just went through and clicked “make wiki” on all of them, which sounds like it might do the trick?

4 Likes

I’ve got an edit link now (and on other people’s as well as my own). Thanks!

3 Likes

ah, yes, now i have the wiki edit badge without ever having had to edit an actual beeminder wiki post :D *villainous laugh while stroking pitch black cat*

january resolution thoughts

fregstreme worked very well (only one derailment, i think), and i’ll keep it through february as well! the trouble of doubly adding the data (to this one and my new years resolution /fregs goal) hasn’t been as annoying as i’d feared. i have just upped /fregs from 1 to 2 per day; /fregstreme will stay at 3—i think chances are good that i’ll change /fregs to the current /fregstreme rate in march, but that’s a decision for in a few weeks …

february resolution

keeping the name scheme of my /whoatidyflat goal going, i’ve created whoatidyroom—my room is a big big mess and in desperate need of a once-over-cleaning-spree, which i hope i’ll be able to consistently provide this month, bit by bit, at least 15 minutes a day … fingers crossed! (it’s set to 0 days at auto-ratchet, so i can never really accumulate buffer … unless i derail, but then it’s only 2 days …)

3 Likes

I’m a bit late to the party due to a Beeminder break, but I’d like to join! :slight_smile:

So here goes my index post:

1. n/a
  2. less-stuff
  3. drawing
  4. [TBD]
  5. [TBD]
  6. [TBD]
  7. [TBD]
  8. [TBD]
  9. [TBD]
  10. [TBD]
  11. [TBD]
  12. [TBD]

(I’ll also do the intro of the february goal here.)

February - less-stuff

There are a bunch of stuff in my wardrobe and storage that I don’t think I’ll ever (re)use. I’d like to choose one and place it in <a box that I know> to make sure they eventually go out the door.

4 Likes

January Conclusion

goal info

I’m loving this! I needed a push to get started with the project but it’s doing my mental health good to think through situations from my past rather than just have them pop up occasionally, feel traumatic and get dismissed again (these are more in the vein of “dumb things I have said” rather than actual trauma btw).
And it’s a good thing to fiddle around with on my phone that fills odd moments and then gives me stuff to think about while I’m doing boring things.

It was a rather unformed idea for a project but having written down a number of things now I have more idea about what the point of it is and am definitely carrying on with it. I’m already finding the journal interesting to peruse and am looking at entries now and thinking “I’d forgotten about that” when I literally wrote a page about it within the last month, so I like the idea of how this’ll feel in 25 years.

So apart from having put a short break in the goal so that it can have seven days buffer and reduce my urgency load I’m carrying straight on with it. I’ve kept it at the same rate for now as well but may change that.

The iOS shortcut I made to automate it didn’t work very well, it doesn’t seem to like accessing the DayOne entry count when the phone is locked, and sometimes it decides to count all entries in all my journals rather than just the one I asked for. But manual updating isn’t very onerous as the number of entries in the journal is clearly displayed in DayOne.

6 Likes

January Conclusion

The waterpik goal is working exactly as expected—because of the goal, I’m using the thing. I think the habit is not yet so ingrained that I wouldn’t risk losing it if I archived the goal, so I’ll keep the goal. Yeah, flossing goals aren’t so exciting, so I don’t have much to share with you all. :stuck_out_tongue:

February

I think I’m going to try out another evening habit goal, evening_routine. The idea here is pretty simple—I’m extremely slow in the morning, and I want to try (1) putting out clothes and (2) grinding my coffee / prepping the espresso machine the night before, when they will take roughly 1/10 the time they take my pre-coffee brain.

7 Likes