Reminder to enter data even if it's not emergency day?

I have a duolingo goal (https://www.beeminder.com/apolyton/goals/french) and currently have a few days of safety. But I’ve got a nice streak going on (80 days) and would like to get reminders if I haven’t done anything during the day, every day, irregardless of having 8-10 days of safety. Is there a setting for this?

2 Likes

Hi apolyton! Based on that goal’s email settings you should be getting daily reminders regardless of how much safety buffer you’ve built up. Can you check your spam box and let us know if that’s not working properly? Very worrying. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello, sorry if i wasn’t clear enough. I’m getting a mail in the morning, but if I don’t do anything during the day, i’d like to get another and another until I actually do something about the goal (as if it was an emergency day)

1 Like

Current implementation is that you’ll only get the one email on a non-emergency day. But if it suits you better for that email to arrive, say, late in the afternoon, you can change the time of the first check on that same settings page.

The Zeno-polling reminders on emergency days will carry on from there, at intervals that are half-way to deadline from the last check.

If this really bugs you, say so, and we’ll see how many other people would like to be able to configure zeno-style reminders on non-emergency days.(It really helps us to find these things out, because the things that we’ve got used to are sometimes important to fix for a lot of folks. For myself, I’ve turned off almost all email reminders completely.)

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll set it to mail me in the evening and see how it works for me for a few days.

2 Likes

For future reference to anyone on duolingo, there is related notification setting

1 Like

If you use Duolingo on an Android, it will typically notify you there too (or can, don’t remember if I set it up myself or not).

When that is said, I’m almost annoyed by their web client changes - you now get 10 and only 10 xp no matter how you fare (as long as you learn something, you will eventually get through the lesson). The Android client (at least mine) still awards extra xp for leftover hearts. This has made it necessary for me to make some changes to my beeminder goal.

2 Likes

Yes, this change is a new experiment of theirs, they claim it’s for the best, boosting engagement in the process (less people give up).

1 Like

Interesting! Other changes have reduced my engagement. e.g. on iPhone, they removed the visual competition animation; it used to be that they showed me catching up to (or passing!) some of my friends after every lesson. Now it’s buried in a relatively static leaderboard. I’m not very competitive by nature, but that animation definitely caused me to study more (and more regularly) than I do now.

2 Likes

To add to the annoyances on the new web client; if you answer wrongly you’re not in danger of losing, but you’re deducted a correct answer meaning you get two additional questions. With a few wrongs, this means the excercise now can take notably longer time.

As for the XP, they could still award 13 or whatnot if you get a run without any errors IMO.

1 Like

For easy XP you can always translate a small paragraph via Immersion (and also “cheat” by using their own provided automatic (Google) translation :)), or even re-do an older lesson that you know well.

But I think the new system works well in the sense that it forces you try finishing a difficult lesson for longer than if you had the three strikes system.

1 Like

I know, but I’m not after easy XP but a more accurate representation of the effort for the purpose of beeminding it.

3 Likes