Seasoned Pro's advice on water tracking

Hi all,

Before I blunder in and make a mess of my new goal I thought I’d quicky ask if any of you Beeminder experts have some advice.

Looking to start Beeminding water intake.

Firstly, since this is a Daily thing I don’t want to be able to get ahead of myself. If I drink ‘too much’ today I don’t want that to mean it will allow me to drink less tomorrow. I am only on the free plan so I don’t believe I have access to the auto-ratchet system.

Secondly, are there any useful Android water apps that integrate with Beeminder directly that people would recommend.

I do a bunch of fancy water tracking/alerting with a combo of home assistant + beeminder + lutron pico buttons. (and google home and others for reminders)

Ie I push a physical button, it logs the drink, and based on how much ive drank that day it starts sending me voice/and other reminders periodically to make sure i drink more water. It’s incredibly useful to make me actually drink enough water in a day.

Beeminder side - you want sum for the aggregation parameter.
I just set my goals to be public - water – jolly – beeminder shows witht he actual standard yellow brick road

water2 – jolly – beeminder its a per day log. you can see when ive got teh goal properly setup and enabled i drink a ton of water, if i dont have my alerts then i end up drinking way less :confused:

buuuut the easiest way to get started - just use the android beeminder app, enter in oz (or glasses) when you drink water.

ps - i think the fitbit integration could also be used.

Depending on what your daily goal is, it may be beneficial to let yourself build up a buffer so you can drink less on a future day.
I have medical advice to drink 2 litres of water a day. If I know that tomorrow’s plans mean I won’t be able to take toilet breaks often enough, then I will drink more today so that I can drink less tomorrow. That’s necessary from a practical perspective and it doesn’t have any meaningful health impact (from a long-term perspective, drinking 2.5 litres today and 1.5 litres tomorrow is not significantly different than 2 litres on each day).

If my daily goal was only small, for example, 500 ml per day, then I might consider not allowing myself to build up buffer.

If you’re certain that you want to enforce drinking the full amount every day without the auto-ratcheting feature, then you may want to consider having a binary goal where you enter 1 for “did drink at least the full amount” or 0 for “did not drink the full amount”. However that would mean that you couldn’t use the goal for tracking your exact consumption during the day.

1 Like

How did you build the physical button? What standard did you use, ZigBee?

This is a good point, I think I’ll relax that rule for myself a little.

1 Like