shanaqui's Beeminder Journal

Derailments:

• N/a.

New goals:

• /zooniverse: because I joined a challenge for doing Zooniverse stuff, on Habitica, but keep forgetting to do it daily.

Changes to existing goals:

• There’s now a break in /bookblanket_catchup so I can finish making a thing for my mother.

TaskRatchet Successes & Failures:

• N/a.

Other comments:

• A fairly boring week in the Nikki-verse, as far as my goals go. I’ve been working on getting ahead on my goals; I now have a #daily tag which filters my dashboard down to goals where I could/should put data in every day, and by sorting that to see what’s getting neglected, I’ve been carefully adding to my safety buffer. Of course I lost some of that ground today by having a relaxed day, but it’s the Six Nations and Wales played Italy today to start, so it felt like a good opportunity for a day off. (If not really a day off, since I did work for five hours!)
1 Like

Derailments:

• /teeth, but only as a test, so it was cancelled.

New goals:

• /confusion_backlog: when I have spare time in my support inbox slots, I work on categorising things that confused people into a spreadsheet to help us see what the most common issues are. After a busy period and another project, I’m behind on these. There’s about 300 to do, so I’ve set it to 50/week to start with and immediately begun at a $5 penalty.

• /writethosereviews has been converted to a 6/week goal where I just +1 if I’m on track with writing my reviews. This lets me build up safety buffer/occasionally have a day off.
  • /recatalogue is done with and will now archive! I do have books left at my parents’ house which I’ll need to slowly check through and add or donate, but of all the books in my flat, 331 made the cut. The TBR started at 1,250, though that figure includes ebooks and the books at my parents’ house.

• N/a.

Other comments:

• I’ll admit I have done basically nothing today because Wales lost versus Ireland in the Six Nations, and while we can still win the tournament, we can’t win the Triple Crown or the Grand Slam. I just… I need a minute here. At least the English can’t win the Grand Slam either…
3 Likes

Derailments:

• /inhaler, because… I’m just really bad at remembering to take it.

New goals:

• /quickbooks, because I’m tired of the arcane guesswork that is working out what I should be saving to pay my taxes for myself. I’ve said this before and I say it again: if I ever quit my various contracts, it’ll be to take employment with a UK company that will sort out my taxes for me via PAYE.

• Had to get an extension on /iron because I ran out of tablets.

• N/a.

Other comments:

• Using Slack reminders is no longer helping with remembering to take my inhaler at the right times, but on the other hand, filling my water bottle has become an independent habit. I think I might just have to split off my inhaler goal into /morninginhaler and /eveninginhaler, stupid as that is. Unless anyone has any other ideas!
2 Likes

Silly obvious suggestions: Where do you keep your inhaler? Is it possible to place it somewhere so that it’d be the first thing you see when you wake up and the last thing you see before you go to bed?–Like leaving it on your pillow? Or place it beside something, like a toothbrush so it coincides with another task?

1 Like

I’ve tried by the toothbrush, but that didn’t help because brushing my teeth in the morning is also something I forget. :scream: Mind you, I’m better with that now (thanks beeminder) so maybe it’s worth another try. (Right now it was beside my keyboard, and my reminder was timed for after the start of work, so that in theory I’d get the reminder and it’d be right there ready to take. It worked for a while…)

2 Likes

You just inspired me to write this down: Life Pro Tip: Plan To Forget

1 Like

Derailments:

• /hourofcrafting, because I… just wasn’t feeling it, to be honest.
  • /housework, because I got behind and just kept sliding.

New goals:

• /bodyweight, for doing 6 bodyweight workouts a week. Doesn’t matter what, must include at least three sets of three different exercises.

• Tweaked the days of mercy for /hourofcrafting – if I derail because I’m not feeling like crafting, it’s not likely to resolve in a day or two, so I’ve given myself leeway of 6 days for this one.

• N/a.

Other comments:

• I got very overwhelmed this week, and I haven’t done the greatest job of pulling it back yet – I’ve been missing really routine things. There are probably more derailments to come, alas.
2 Likes

Derailments:

• N/a.

New goals:

• N/a.

• /bookblanket_catchup has been archived, as I reached the goal! Slowly this project draws nearer to completion.
  • I’m really not feeling /hourofcrafting right now. I think I’m going to derail again. I increased the charge to $5 – $1 feels too piddly and small when I need to message the premium user who wins it! – so there’ll be a bit of a sting, but I don’t think I mind. I’ve put in a month’s break, so I’ll either resentfully keep it up until the break kicks in, or run off the road with relief.
  • A couple of my goals got two-day breaks the night my wife went to hospital in an ambulance, because they required my normal schedule and that got messed up. My wife’s fine, but it was stressful.

• N/a.

Other comments:

• I’m tired. :frowning:
2 Likes

Derailments:

• /hourofcrafting derailed, more or less as predicted. It’s now flat for aaages to give me some time to get my mojo back.
  • /water derailed, but it wasn’t actually legit – just a syncing problem with Fitbit. Buuut it did show I was edge-skating far too much with that goal.
  • /nofudge derailed, but again, that was edge-skating and data going in late. Oops.

New goals:

• N/a.

• /nailbiting has got harder! Now I need to have 6.5 nailbiting-free days per week, up from 5. Likewise for /cleanseandmoisturise.
  • /inhaler is also harder and has been since last week, when I forgot to mention it. My dose has gone up to four puffs a day, so my goal has likewise doubled. I’m still contemplating splitting it into morninginhaler/eveninginhaler.
  • /beemergencies got a big retroratchet and a rate reduction to 3/day. I’ll tighten it up even more when I’m back on an even keel after last week’s difficulties.
  • /fitbitsteps is being archived because it wasn’t really useful – I tend to do a little often, and then gain days and days of safety buffer with one day’s walking. It’s also kind of duplicating my /activeminutes goal anyway.

• New task: writing up an Apple Health integration FAQ.

Other comments:

• I’m still not really super on track, and probably need to be looking at my list of goals and seeing what isn’t really serving me anymore, because life is generally a bit busier than it was.
1 Like

Regarding body weight workouts, I can recommend this app:

It got videos that show you an actual person doing the exercises and the voice over gives helpful additional advice. For instance, in the step up exercise it points out that your entire foot should be on the chair before you step onto it and when they said it I realised that mine wasn’t and changing this does trigger different muscle groups than when your foot is on there only partially.
It also got nice warmup and cool down (read: stretching) exercises. The former help with not feeling like a complete potato during and after the workout and made me dread doing them a lot less!
In fact now I can do them before breakfast even! This is super great because now I don’t procrastinate doing them the entire day long. Without the warmup I just can’t. It sucks too hard and then I don’t do it.

I think it’s good that you want to do regular body weight exercises. I do mine every two days because muscles do also need some downtime. Two to three weeks into doing them I noticed how my lower back pain went away almost completely.
And when I stopped doing them for a few weeks (it started with a vacation) my back pain came back after a couple weeks. Once resumed it went away again. So I’m definitely gonna keep doing them.

1 Like

I’m currently using DareBee programs so I’m doing a little each day, but it’s different exercises targeting different muscle groups. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Derailments:

• /bookbed derailed because… honestly, I didn’t realise it was sneaking up on me, somehow.
  • /writethosereviews derailed because I looked at the clock 20 minutes before my deadline, went to get a drink, ended up petting the bunnies, and… didn’t get back to my computer in time. Sigh.

New goals:

• /nonewsisgoodnews: I got into a bit of a cycle of checking the news, getting stressed about it, and then promptly checking the news again and again. Of course I need to stay informed and all, but twice a day is quite enough. I started on a rate of 2/day; I think I might raise that to 2.5/day just to give a little more leeway, but anyway. That’s the idea.

• /activeminutes is going to archive too, because my Fitbit isn’t picking up my small bursts of activity very well, and I don’t think a lot of walking (my normal way of getting exercise) is on the cards right now.

• Success: edited the help doc for the Apple Health integration.
  • New task: create favourites challenge on Habitica.

Other comments:

• Well, it’s certainly been a week. That’s all I have to say for it right now!
2 Likes

Do you really?

I turned off every news source except a very good science news podcast and some tech news from a select number of YouTube channels months ago and I am living a better life since then.
In my experience, everything truly worth talking about, your friends and family will talk about anyway, so you’ll hear it there. And: the more things change the more they stay the same. That is especially true for politics.

All that general news are doing for me is further my disappointment in mankind.

1 Like

Yes. I live in the middle of nowhere; I don’t see friends or family that often other than my wife who could probably also use filtering down her news feeds; and my Twitter feed is filtered to remove anxiety-inducing/distracting/annoying things. Twice a day is more than I need for that, but it’s also a delicate balance between my anxiety about not knowing things and my anxiety about the things that are bothering me.

3 Likes

Derailments:

• /nature derailed because I couldn’t be bothered. My mental health was terrible, but this is one that I could’ve managed. Legit.
  • /teeth derailed, but it wasn’t legit. Got to my phone to add the data just a bit too late.
  • /bodyweight derailed, mental health. Could’ve managed it, so, legit.

New goals:

• /sciencewriting, for helping me stick to the FutureLearn course of that name. Mostly it’s stuff I already know about how to write from, you know, my English lit degree. But I’m hoping for new resources or ways of looking at things.
  • /histology, for helping me stick to the FutureLearn course on it! I’m excited by this one, and there’s a ton of material.
  • /priory, for the workerbee book club! @mary and I both have this book on our TBRs, and we managed to rope most of the others into it. :smiley:

• A lot of my goals got extra breaks put in for mental health reasons. One of the potential criteria the workerbees have discussed for breaks for mental health reasons to avoid a slippery slope of weaselling was “it was so bad, I called my doctor”. This was one of those; I called my doctor the next morning and went back on anxiety medication.
  • /activeminutes got archived without finishing its countdown because my Fitbit refused to believe I was exercising. It wanted me to keep my heartrate higher than it ever really goes… Not clear what that was about.

• N/a.

Other comments:

• I’ve been doing better since I called my doctor and asked to go back on my anxiety medication. Turns out, one doesn’t have to be that completely terrified all the time. For a bit there I honestly thought everyone else was as terrified as I was and just pretending they were functional, because the fears seemed logical. Now I see that many of them were not, or were worst case scenarios, and that anyway I’d rather be optimistic and be able to read books and be kind to people, even if the optimism turns out to be unfounded. Anxiety messes with your head, folks, news at 10.
    (Obviously it’s a rough time for many, and I’m not minimising that. I was just totally immobilised by fear and turns out I didn’t have to be.)
3 Likes

Derailments:

• /beemergencies derailed for the first time(? I think), due to my new tougher limits and my week of struggling. I think I’m getting back on track for full-time orange-is-the-new-red.
  • /dishwasher: I hold my hands up, I ignored this a lot and I deserve to derail.

New goals:

• /sciencematters, for the Coursera course of that name about COVID-19.
  • /covid19, for the FutureLearn course of that name about… well, you guessed it.
  • /reachout, to remind me to message, text or call friends I don’t routinely speak to. The rate is 5/week. I don’t want to be contrived about this, so I might lower the rate a bit. We’ll see how it goes.
  • /gbhc, to make sure I attend aaaall the rehearsals for the Great British Home Chorus. It’s a highlight of my day, and I don’t want to end up having a backlog of unwatched rehearsals if stuff gets too much. Enforced enjoyment!

• A bunch more breaks were added for mental health reasons, with thanks to the long-suffering @justanotherjon.

• Nothing to report yet…

Other comments:

• I’m back in the red on a bunch of things, sigh. But I feel better again today – lots of ups and downs – and am making some progress on clawing it back.
4 Likes

Derailments:

• /nofudge, because quite frankly I could not be bothered. I pre-pay my derailments, kind of, because I have a US card via TransferWise which I load at the beginning of the month. This means that derailments are already budgeted for, and this one fit within that budget, so I let it go. I’m not sure this is good for me, actually; I think I’ll stop budgeting for Beeminder, and force the rest of my budget to rearrange as necessary to cover derailments. It seems sensible to have some money set aside ready for derailments, but in practice it means they aren’t actually a sting – the money was already siloed away anyway.

New goals:

• /todoistzero – I have a lot of my work stuff all neatly filed in Todoist with deadlines and recurring tasks to keep me on track… and then in the last couple of weeks, everything fell apart and I couldn’t keep up. I’ve re-scheduled everything so it will join back in slowly, and this goal is for making sure I’m on track at least 5 days out of every week. Here’s hoping…

• /housework – I lowered the rate myself, which will take effect next week, because I just don’t have the energy right now.
  • I had another couple of small rate tweaks and breaks this week (thanks, Jon). This is still under the “my mental health is actively being managed by a doctor because it isn’t going well” rule. I’m viewing it as an adjustment period during which things are a bit more malleable than normal, until I’ve been on an even keel for one full week. The adjustments are getting smaller and smaller! It’s a start!

• Success: Made a Habitica challenge as promised!

Other comments:

• How would you beemind working on an application to do another degree? I’m not sure I’ll need to; things are coming together alarmingly fast, and mostly I just need to wait for my references and write my personal statement. But I was thinking about a good way to do it, and I couldn’t immediately come up with anything, because all the tasks that make up the application are different time investments, and not always foreseeable. (Helping my dad find my degree certificates remotely was not something I expected, for instance.)
  • I want to start keeping some kind of gratitude journal, but I don’t really want to write it down on paper – I’d want something on my PC, preferably, or at a pinch on my phone. Any recs for Windows or Android apps? Especially if they nudge you to enter data at the right time. I want to beemind this, but have something more structured than a .txt file in Notetab.
2 Likes

Five Minute Journal, definitely. I noticed big differences in my outlook on life when I was using it vs when I wasn’t. Here’s the Android app. I believe you can set up recurring notifications for the nudge part.

That is a very interesting observation, thank you for sharing that insight!

Derailments:

• /inhaler – Gah. I just keep forgetting the darn thing. I actually have other meds to take at the same time now, so I’m a little better about it, but… gah.

New goals:

• /futurelearnarchaeology – Another FutureLearn course to keep me busy! This one is only two weeks long, so I’m halfway there already.
  • /gratitude – Reminding me to share the things I’m grateful for/that keep me happy in the Beeminder forum. I’ve only set it to 6/week, to give me some room for slippage.

• /sciencewriting – Completed and archived!
  • /histology – Completed and archived!
  • /covid19 – Completed and archived!
  • /futurelearnarchaeology – Completed but awaiting archive.

• N/a.

Other comments:

• I think I’m sort of back on track now, which means next up is Project “Blue is the New Orange”, i.e. trying to get further ahead on my goals.
2 Likes