Beeminder Forum

Simple way to see a date's sum?

I have a lot of goals that get many data points posted to them per day. A question I often have is, “What’s the sum of this goal’s data points for this specific date?” It doesn’t seem like there’s an easy way to get that answer.

• Adding them up myself is tedious.
  • Writing a script feels like overkill.
  • Downloading a CSV and opening it in a spreadsheet program is cumbersome and not mobile-friendly.

Am I missing something? And, if not, could something to make this easier be added to the Statistics tab?

2 Likes

Are you always looking for sum, or are you looking for the aggday result for a particular date?

I would really like a way to get the aggday result.

1 Like

Aggday to begin with, but multiple views of the same data is on my wishlist too.

A cool feature for client-side graphs would be to toggle into histogram view, which would show an aggregated (but not cumulative) view of the data.

1 Like

@adamwolf Hmm, hadn’t really thought about it. Usually I am looking for sum, I think. If it was based on aggday, would that mean I’d be required to convert the goal to a custom goal in order to get that info?

@philip Histogram view sounds intriguing. So I’d be able to see what proportion of days I entered a total value over 2, for instance? Or am I incorrectly imagining how that would work?

@narthur I bet you’re usually looking for sum because your goal’s aggdays are mostly set to sum. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@adamwolf They aren’t currently; but, yes, they definitely could be.

I imagine so. In my head, it’s a bar chart that shows the aggregated (default is the sum) data value each day.

Loads of people expect to see that sort of view instead of our cumulative graphs, but @grayson explains why cumulative graphs are better for goal-tracking.

I can see value in being able to toggle between different views of the data.

2 Likes