Simple way to see a date's sum?

I have a lot of goals that get many data points posted to them per day. A question I often have is, “What’s the sum of this goal’s data points for this specific date?” It doesn’t seem like there’s an easy way to get that answer.

• Adding them up myself is tedious.
  • Writing a script feels like overkill.
  • Downloading a CSV and opening it in a spreadsheet program is cumbersome and not mobile-friendly.

Am I missing something? And, if not, could something to make this easier be added to the Statistics tab?

4 Likes

Are you always looking for sum, or are you looking for the aggday result for a particular date?

I would really like a way to get the aggday result.

3 Likes

Aggday to begin with, but multiple views of the same data is on my wishlist too.

A cool feature for client-side graphs would be to toggle into histogram view, which would show an aggregated (but not cumulative) view of the data.

1 Like

@adamwolf Hmm, hadn’t really thought about it. Usually I am looking for sum, I think. If it was based on aggday, would that mean I’d be required to convert the goal to a custom goal in order to get that info?

@philip Histogram view sounds intriguing. So I’d be able to see what proportion of days I entered a total value over 2, for instance? Or am I incorrectly imagining how that would work?

@narthur I bet you’re usually looking for sum because your goal’s aggdays are mostly set to sum. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@adamwolf They aren’t currently; but, yes, they definitely could be.

I imagine so. In my head, it’s a bar chart that shows the aggregated (default is the sum) data value each day.

Loads of people expect to see that sort of view instead of our cumulative graphs, but @grayson explains why cumulative graphs are better for goal-tracking.

I can see value in being able to toggle between different views of the data.

3 Likes

@narthur huh? What are they set to? Why are you looking for sum if you’re not using sum aggday?

I would really like a view that showed aggday and/or sum for each day.

I think all the non-custom goals have aggday set to sum (except maybe weight loss).

The API docs define the aggday for non-custom goals at http://api.beeminder.com/#attributes-2:

Maybe I’m confused about aggday. But, honestly, I don’t care if I need to change the goal to a custom goal and convert its aggday to sum or not, as long as I can access the sum for each day in the web interface.

(Sorry for this being a reply to you, @philip. I’m not sure how to remove the reply-to reference once it’s there…)

1 Like

here’s a quick hack, if I understand what you’re asking after briefly skimming, and if you can run python3 scripts and install python packages… you’ll need requests and matplotlib. create hack.py with this code and run it.

import requests
from datetime import date
from matplotlib import pyplot as plt

token = input("Enter your auth_token from https://www.beeminder.com/api/v1/auth_token.json: ")
token = token.strip()

user = requests.get("https://www.beeminder.com/api/v1/users/me.json?&datapoints=true&auth_token={}".format(token)).json()

print()
print("Which goal would you want to chart?")

for idx, goal in enumerate(user["goals"]):
    print(goal)
    print("{}: {}".format(idx, goal))

print()
print()
choice = input("Your choice: ")
try:
    choice = int(choice.strip())
    if choice < 0 or choice >= len(user["goals"]):
        raise Exception()
except:
    print("Choice must be an integer between 0 and {} inclusive".format(len(user["goals"]) - 1))

print()
print()

goal = requests.get("https://www.beeminder.com/api/v1/users/alice/goals/{}.json?&datapoints=true&auth_token={}".format(user["goals"][choice], token)).json()
offset = (3600 * 24) - (goal["losedate"] % (3600 * 24))
orig_datapoints = goal["datapoints"]

orig_datapoints = [{"value": d["value"], "date": date.fromtimestamp(d["timestamp"] - offset)} for d in orig_datapoints]
orig_datapoints = sorted(orig_datapoints, key = lambda x: x["date"])

datapoints = []
for orig_dp in orig_datapoints:
    if len(datapoints) > 0:
        last = datapoints[-1]
        if last == orig_dp:
            datapoints[-1]["value"] += orig_dp.value
    else:
        datapoints.append(orig_dp)

plt.bar([x["date"] for x in orig_datapoints], [x["value"] for x in orig_datapoints])
plt.show()
1 Like

There are not many situations where you’d want to look at the result of an aggday method you’re not using. In particular, if you want to look at “sum,” it’s unlikely that goal would use a different aggday method. For instance, the “inboxing,” “fatloser,” and “gainer” goals check a measurement multiple times throughout the day (weight or emails left) and use aggday to choose one - you’d never want to take the sum of all your weighings throughout the day.

@zedmango Yeah, that’s fine. But, regardless, I don’t think you can see the result of it. Unless I’m missing something.

@eugeniobruno Thank you! Yes, I do use Python to extract stats some times. But having to do this seems pretty onerous, and also excludes people who aren’t as handy with scripting as you and I are.

1 Like

You’re not missing anything. Why is there a slice of cake by your name?

Oh! Happy beeversary!

1 Like