This is a half-formed thought, so this is less an explicit feature request and more of a general feeling that there is a missing feature in this pace.
I find failure on my goals ends up being correlated, because failure to make enough progress on them tends to have a common cause - often lack of physical or mental energy to do things.
For example, I have a lot of exercise goals that are somewhat predicated on going to the gym. I can make variable amounts of progress on them once I’m at the gym, but if something is stopping me going to the gym as often as I otherwise would, or meaning I don’t have enough energy while I’m there, they will all tend to become red all at once.
Which means that even though the pledge on each of them individually is quite small (they’re all either $5 or $10), the total amount is relatively large, and the amount of stress caused by them is disproportionately large.
What this means in practice is that I am disproportionately unwilling to let these goals derail compared to how much I’d actually like to be willing to let them derail. For example today I’m probably going to end up emailing support and saying “halp!” because I really don’t feel able to make progress on them today, but it’s a boundary case where I feel like I could probably make progress if it were just one or two of them.
One way of looking at this is that by increasingly using beeminder for fine grained quantified self stuff on my exercise tracking, I’ve made my life worse because of the commitment contracts aspect.
I was originally thinking that what I wanted was some sort of daily total pledge cap, but actually that’s not really what I want either. Perhaps what I want is some sort of derail cap instead - so if I make progress on N of the goals, the others remain red and don’t acquire any safety buffer but also don’t derail. So I still have to “pay back” the progress I didn’t make today, but I am not penalised for not having dealt with so many things.
I don’t know if that’s a good idea, and I’m open to more or less any other approach for dealing with this, but I’d quite like there to be something. This is probably the most stressful part of using beeminder for me, and I’d quite like it to become less stressful.