I think this is where I’m supposed to put this?
Problem: As it stands, I get the same sort of Android app notification three minutes from a deadline as I do seven hours before it. I have five goals running right now, and I don’t really get a sense of urgency from seeing them, and sometimes I just straight up miss deadlines because I staggered my goals so as not to be doing dishes + reading + answering email all at the same time and that means I get a constant flow of notifications coming in throughout the day.
Solution: It would be nice if Beeminder could let me know somehow that I’m in “super-eep!” at some user-defined time before a deadline. That way if I know a goal is going to take me 30 minutes every day I can set “super-eep!” notifications to 45 minutes before.
Implementation: I’m not going to worry about technical feasibility and just list possible ways this could be achieved:
- different app notification colour/shape in tray
- different LED notification colour
- different (much longer) vibration pattern
— hard mode: somehow bypass my system ringtone setting and make an alarming sound even if I’m on silent/vibrate
- start sending me emails later than app notifications, so I can IFTTT emails from email@example.com -> set ringtone volume and then all future notifications will draw my attention to my phone
- change my lock screen background to a red screen, so I know something’s up
Yeah, I could just set alarms, but I’d have to fiddle with them every time I change my goals/deadlines and you could say that about standard reminders anyway.