Take the Beeminder founders' money

Saw that @scarabaea jumped all over bsptzero, which was right down to the wire (EEK). The infinibee was probably still spinning when the clock swung, but the datapoint was indeed entered under the wire (if you hover over the datapoint in “Recent Data” it tells the time of entry.)

Love that y’all are watching us like hawks!!

2 Likes

@bee, thanks for having this mechanism ensuring that our problems are addressed soon!

2 Likes

Claiming the 0$ on remrev for bragging rights! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I moved 4 posts to a new topic: Community Policing of ChipManaged’s Caffeine Goals

Remrev has derailed for $5

2 Likes

Confirmed! This one might be easy money until it’s enough money for us to care more… (Of course we’re also dangerously edge-skating on some super expensive ones.)

Eep b/sptzero! … close :slight_smile:

1 Like

Remrev has derailed again - $10

2 Likes

I think the blogging goal has derailed - unless I’m missing something.

Am I missing something? I don’t want to jump any guns here

You’re missing clicking refresh on the goal and checking the blog.

Ach so. I thought that, if the derailment occurs, that’s it. They brought it in just under time!

Confirmed! I think @insti is now net positive with Beeminder despite a Plan Bee premium plan.

As @insti pointed out, this claim came 2 minutes early. Which reminds me, let’s officially adopt something akin to Jeopardy’s rule for buzzing in early: If you jump the gun you’re locked out for an hour. That way we avoid spurious just-in-case claims every time we come down to the wire. Which is a lot with us. (:

1 Like

So how precisely would the derailment show? I’m asking because the clock ran out, and then queued, then I posted. Genuinely curious so I can avoid this in future (:

Hmm, good question. Could it be that your computer’s clock is 2 minutes fast? Does the time at http://time.gov match your system clock?

If your system clock is accurate then my next guess is that you saw the countdown run out but only after you clicked submit on your message here (at 5:58). That’s a known minor bug that the countdown doesn’t automatically update when new data comes in (unless you enter it in that browser). So that’s why a refresh is needed to confirm the derailment.

PS: Wait, if you’re really sure you hit submit on your post after seeing the countdown run out then either your system clock was off or something super weird is going on that we need to figure out. Thanks for the debugging help!

P sure. Time.gov matches my system, adjusting for time zones, but mins and secs are in sync. And I definitely waited until the clock ran out entirely (“Derailed” showed up in the top bar). I wanted to be sure.

You might have a bug! Ah shucks, I was hoping I’d caught you guys out :cop:

1 Like

sptzero!!!

1 Like

Oh, it finally occurred to me that the datapoint is submitted to Beeminder by our wordpress plugin and there might well be lag there. So I bet the timer ran out and then the datapoint appeared before the derailment was processed. Fortunately, per longstanding rules, that’s allowed as long as we hit publish in time, which I’m certain we did. Phew! And thanks for the debugging help! Not to mention the vigilance!

Confirmed for $30! Though I think @chelsea is supposed to wait an hour to give non-insiders a chance to claim these. (On the other hand, Chelsea’s taking the brunt of the damage, albeit not monetarily, when @bee derails this.) Another question, for @bee: is it intentional that you have this capped at $30? Is this like a Bee Nice To Yourself thing where you like the option of paying a reasonable fee occasionally to not zero support?

1 Like

I moved 3 posts to a new topic: The Beeminder Waterfall