Triangular beeminding for tracking alcohol consumption

True, it would be easier if Beeminder had a proper concept of a break. Not just for this, but also so that the road dial would still work. The tool I’m writing hacks around this by letting you set a horizon on the vacation creation date, so you can say, e.g., “My vacation is April 4 - April 10 but don’t enter it until that’s sooner than 14 days from now so that my road dial still works”.

I think the only tricky business is to decide what happens to the would-be road during the break. I am planning on offering 3 choices. First you flatten the road during the break and then: 1) steepen the road before the break to account for the missed work (you’ll reach the total you would have had after vacation on the day the vacation starts), 2) steepen the road after the break to account for the missed work (you’ll reach your ultimate goal total on the ultimate goal date, but you won’t do any extra work before. With repeated vacations like weekends-off, this can set up a chain-reaction making the end road section arbitrarily steep.), or 3) do nothing (you won’t reach your ultimate goal total on your ultimate goal date anymore, but perhaps you don’t care – your rate of progress on non-break days will still be the same).

2 Likes