Repeating from the daily beemail…
Thanks so much for sharing your new year’s resolutions (straw poll in yesterday’s beemail, in case you missed it)!
Let me collect the answers below…
There were also two common questions:
Q1. Time is continuous so aren’t humans just being silly to pretend that a new year is some kind of momentous event or for it to matter what calendar day a new goal starts on?
A1. I used to think this! Psychology research on temporal landmarks changed my mind. Or probably it was first Slate Star Codex that changed my mind, as it commonly does: https://blog.beeminder.com/schelling/
But Eugenio Bruno and Cayenne Geis both made a good point that the psychological power of a temporal landmark can cut both ways. If you fall off the wagon then it’s especially demoralizing and harder to get back on. I made a similar point in a blog post about minding streaks: https://blog.beeminder.com/seinfeld
Q2. Aren’t the 20s technically 2021-2030 inclusive because there was no year zero and so the first decade was 1-10 A.D. and the second was 11-21 A.D., etc?
No, pretty much everyone who talks about a decode like the 50s means the years starting “195*”. The single-digit years from when Jesus was a kid can just be 9 years and whether you call that the first “decade” or not doesn’t matter. Or go with this Argument from Authority: https://xkcd.com/2249/
YOUR NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS
[See also the rest of this thread!]
- Meditation at least five days a week. (more than one person said this)
- Work less hours.
- Do one household chore a day at least three times a week.
- Something diet related and something brain related like daily journaling.
- No resolutions or goals – new systems (like a new system for dishes and laundry). More than one person said something like this.
- Making music! (with an elaborate strategy for beeminding it <3)
- Be more active.
- Gradually go from vegetarian to vegan.
- Learn to bake bread.
- Maintain weight after weight loss in 2019.
- Principles that drive goal/project creation: Learn new things, Be calm and kind, Fight for what’s right, Honor commitments, Be fast at easy things, Don’t be a distracted parent.
- Read a particular book and write 100 words/day of my novel.
- Lose a pound a week throughout 2020.
- Run a 10k in March and a 20k in August.
- Build my own data-tracking tool that integrates with Beeminder.
- Work on my writing career till it earns real money.