white dots in datapoints?

Are the white dots in the 7th and 8th datapoints intentional? If so, what do they mean?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Those are also the only dates with multiple entries, as judged by the smaller green dots below the anomalous bolded dots.

@dreev is the guardian of graph generation

2 Likes

Hmmm but doesn’t the very first one have two data points? There’s a 0 in blue right under the first green.

2 Likes

Well spotted! That’ll be the ‘initial datapoint’, so special for other reasons.

Looking behind the scenes, this is a binary goal in terms of how it aggregates.

That means (to my surprise, I admit) that it checks for the presence or absence of a datapoint. If you enter something (or several things), even if it’s a zero, the day’s total aggregates as ‘1’.

Those two lighter bold dots are days on which the aggregated value, ‘1’, differs from the entered value, ‘0’.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Oof. I definitely want an aggregation of “1 if any non-zero datapoints”, like @insti’s recent request.

3 Likes

I must have missed/forgotten that request, so have added my own to the thread! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@philip inferred correctly that the aggregated datapoint is shown hollow like that if there’s no raw datapoint underneath it. It’s so intuitive when explained that way, right? (:

2 Likes

Adding (eight years later) some additional info, for others who may see white dots for the first time as I just did, plus a question for Danny (see below).

Case the first

This is a custom [1] goal where aggday=sum (that is, all the datapoints I enter are added together to form the final datapoint) and I’ve chosen to show only that final datapoint on the graph. Note that only the last two datapoints have white dots – that’s because I started the goal later than I wanted to start recording the data, so I retroactively filled the totals for the first four days in manually when I started the goal. That means there is precisely one datapoint for those four days, and it matches the datapoint that’s actually plotted: voila, no white dot.

Note also that this behavior doesn’t change if I decide to show all datapoints and not just the day’s sum:

Case the second

In this graph, I am also using aggday=sum, and you can see the individual datapoints that have been entered each day below the big, sum-of-all datapoint. Here, too, that big sum-of-all datapoint does not have a corresponding data entry – but now it doesn’t have a white dot. The only differences between these goals are that the first has been converted to custom, while the second has not; and the first is non-cumulative, while the second is cumulative. [2] Perhaps @dreev can weigh in on whether either or both of these differences is/are indeed the reason for white dot vs. no white dot?

[1] You can do that convert a goal to custom at the bottom of the Settings tab (possibly only for paid subscriptions; I have Bee Plus):

That gives you a bunch of settings (shown here for my first goal above):

[2] Technically, the datapoints with white dots in the first graph are green, and the second graph doesn’t have any green datapoints yet, so we might think, maybe only green datapoints get white dots. But that isn’t it – the second graph had some initial buffer that I’ve removed, and even when all the datapoints were green, they didn’t have white dots.

3 Likes