I just did my semester-ly refactoring of all my goals, which involves changing the “window” of the x-axis to have them all cover the same time span, in this case from August 1 to January 1. I like defaulting my goals to the same x-axis setting because it lets me see at a glance how the semester is going for me:
For example, I’m noticing that I haven’t touched horrid-novels yet, but I’ve been doing fine keeping in touch with Alyssa (the person I do horrid-novels with, long story) – so maybe I actually want to archive that goal, after talking with her about it.
I think about my life in terms of “semesters” even though I don’t have coursework because I find that the academic calendar shapes a lot of the rhythms of my life, and because four-ish months is a pretty nice period of time in which to accomplish medium-sized projects.
Some goals have their own date-scaling those, goals that have real-world begin and end dates which are relevant for understanding my progress… goals like my special fields goals. I’ve talked to my advisor and tentatively set December 20 as the date for my oral exam, which means I’ll have the first phase of the written three weeks before Dec 20. And I think I that will work out!
Tracking my completion percentages directly has kinda sucked, but was also definitely the right call. I added in some historical data (I screencap my status for each issue of my newsletter, so I could recreate those datapoints) and am clawing myself toward a successful work rate:
(The percentages sometimes go down because, when I hit a multi-part work in the spreadsheet, I break it down into separate rows for its composite parts in order to read as strictly chronologically as possible, which means my denominator keeps growing…)
That increase in my “hours spent on special fields at all” goal particularly shows that I am now feeling the pain, I think – I went from lots of green to eep days every day:
I think this is a lot closer to how much time I do need to be spending on studying, so the pain I’m feeling mostly feels like good growing pains. But I am STILL not completing each week’s assigned readings, so I will have to keep strategizing about other projects I can get off my plate, to free up more special fields time…
The biggest project eating away my time is my big move back to Toronto, which has involved a LOT of cleaning. I was gone for six months and my now-ex housemate did not exactly take excellent care of the apartment. It takes a bucket per wall to scrub away the grime on the baseboards. A friend came to do a long weekend cleaning push, but I still have a big mountain on the horizon, and it gets harder and harder to face every day. So of course I’ve begun an exploratory Beeminder goal to keep making progress on it!
Right now it’s ‘two Complice intentions with the word “clean” in them per day,’ and as this one progresses I’ll figure out what I actually think about it to calibrate the rate and the timeline. I’d like not to be moving back into my apartment for the next six months, but well, if that’s the rate that’s realistic, I can get used to anything that does constitute progress… slow and steady is better than nothing. Wish me luck, I suppose.