Forum regulars are probably already quite familiar with our beeminding of User-Visible Improvements (UVIs) to Beeminder. We will average one per day forever, or we’ll pay one of you $1000. For real. We’ve done it before! (That’s $1000 paid for 4 years and counting of inexorable forward progress. So cheap!)
What’s been less well-known is that there are multiple other goals where you can cash in on the Beeminder founders’ near-legendary akrasia! (We take the idea of bootstrapping to new extremes – Beeminder was built thanks to beeminding progress via gradually more sophisticated versions of Beeminder.) Anyway, but much of the motivational power of Beeminder is the sword-of-damocles feeling, which can be noticeably absent when the money is going to one’s own bootstrapped startup. So, for the meta goals listed below, we’re paying you when we go off track. (I wouldn’t mind this applying to all our personal goals as well, if it doesn’t get to be TMI.)
Previously we’d been maintaining the list of goals on an old blog post, but that got unwieldy and hard to find. (Y’all missed a $270 derailment recently! Eventually @chelsea claimed it, which is maybe not kosher but, well, you had your chance!) Anyway, that’s what made me realize we need more eyes on the prize here.
Goals you should bee minding
- UVIs ($1000 at stake; $1000 paid)
- Blog posts ($810 at stake; $405 paid)
- Infrahancements ($270 at stake; $270 paid)
- Bee’s hours on Beeminder ($270 at stake; $405 paid)
- Danny’s hours on Beeminder ($810 at stake; $405 paid)
- Bee’s support queue ($30 at stake)
- Progress on open-sourcing Beeminder ($270 at stake)
- Danny’s Beemail goal ($270 at stake)
- Danny’s Hard Soon: Email and Meta-Email ($90 at stake)
- Bee’s MIT: Road editor sign in($0 at stake)
We’ll add to this list (and perhaps subtract from it, subject to the akrasia horizon of course) so stay tuned!
Completed or archived
- Autodata integrations ($270 at stake; $135 paid)
- Bee’s Half time on Reminders Revamp goal ($810 at stake; $405 paid)
- Beeminder third anniversary commitments ($810 paid)
- Bee’s Hard Soon: Weekends Off! ($10 at stake; $5 paid)
- Bee’s Hard Soon: Premium Revamp ($90 at stake, $45 paid)
- Bee’s Hard Soon: S3 and Linode Maintenance ($90 at stake, $45 paid)
- Bee’s Hard Soon: Todoist integration ($30 at stake, $15 paid)
- Chelsea explaining Beeminder ($30 at stake)
- Bee’s Hard Soon: Paypal ($90 at stake; $45)
- Only the timestamp of the original comment counts. Don’t make the claim by editing a previous comment.
- As soon as the countdown runs out it’s fair game to claim our money. (Refresh the page first to confirm.)
- Claiming it before the official deadline locks you out for an hour. Like the Jeopardy buzzer rule.
- If you do claim it right after the timer runs out it’s still possible for us to eke by where Beeminder processes the datapoint before processing the derailment. It’s kind of a confusing loophole that we’d like to close or minimize but in the meantime we’re so used to it that we’ll let it stand. We of course won’t tamper with anything behind the scenes, just using Beeminder the same way you all do.