Weight loss: Width of the road? What about using moving average?

This topic just popped up in my Beeminder digest and I thought I’d weigh in with some ideas.

I’ve never used this, and it requires a premium plan, but I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned custom aggregation methods yet.

You could use truemean or median to basically be beeminding an average (albeit not a moving/biased one), even though you’re entering the actual instantaneous value each time (in other words, you just enter the weight you see on your scale, without having to calculate averages).

I saw in another post you setup a Rube Goldberg-style hack for this, and so long as that works, it’s arguably better, because it beeminds a moving average instead of an average, which may make more sense because your goal is to eventually be around X weight, not that your average weight since you started tracking is Y weight.

Maybe this usecase will inspire the addition of a xdaymovingaverage aggregation method where users can put say 10dmovingaverage and the result will be automatically converted for you. I think it’d be nice if this option was available (for weight loss goals only) to non-premium users, as a way for newbees to use Beeminder for weight loss.

P.S. You should try a do-more goal of drinking more water every day. Say one or two 16.9 fl oz bottles a day. I’ve found that often when I think I’m starving, I’m just dehydrated! You can also try to have a rule where you drink a glass of water before every meal. IIRC, the science behind that intervention is fairly compelling (vs. the science behind needing 64oz of water a day is simply wrong).

Some other potential rules

1. Eat slower. In my case, I don’t have the time or patience for super-long meals, so what I do is eat a smaller portion, and then go do something else that is distracting, even though I feel like I could eat more. I work, read, walk, etc. Usually I find that after 20-30 minutes, I’m no longer hungry. Of course, if I’m still hungry, then I take that as a sign of genuine hunger and don’t feel bad about eating a little more.

2. Eat more protein (protein itself, not “meat”). The science is pretty clear on this: increasing protein leads to decreased calorie intake, as well as (slightly) better body composition independent of calorie decreases. One way to do this is to use protein bars or shakes (yes, even though they’re processed foods). Another way is to eat lean meat (chicken, skipjack tuna, shrimp).

3. Eat more veggies, as you’ve been doing, but with a particular emphasis on those that have a lot of volume. For example, 100 calories of broccoli is very filling for the calories, especially if you season it in a way that doesn’t use heavy cream-based sauces.

5 Likes