Why are we allowed to modify or delete old data?

I think I can imagine the sort of use case you might be encountering: counting time/output/etc of something related to professional development. Maybe time using a software or something similar? Even if this isn’t exactly your situation, that’s an interesting point.

If I were a recruiter looking for that sort of information from a person’s LinkedIn, I suspect I’d want something I could independently verify (a certification, a link to a github account, a portfolio of work completed, etc). Beeminder doesn’t particularly support independent verification, beyond an autodata graph tied to another independently verifiable service. To use your example of financial reports, the reports themselves are only compilations of data tied to an outside reality: actual transactions, which each could be independently verified. A financial report is only credible if you have reason to trust the person preparing the report. Even if their software prevented them from editing past values, they could still have faked values in the first place.

As always, the more information you can provide about the exact details of what you’re attempting to do, the more likely it is that folks here can brainstorm a solution and/or the feature can be implemented in a way that serves the largest number of users.

EDIT: I just reread your post and saw that you said “next to” your LinkedIn, not on your LinkedIn. Who is your intended audience, and what information are you intending to convey? What sort of credibility are you intending to build? There’s probably a way for Beeminder to help, and users here can help you brainstorm like we did for this person tracking workouts.

1 Like