Since @openmedi is compiling this amazing list of every known Beeminder integration, I wanted to share the roundabout but functional process I use to get my calories consumed from MyFitnessPal to Beeminder.
The gist is to use a free Fitbit account as the glue, and use a combination of the Fitbit/MFP integration and the official Fitbit integration to bridge the gap. I’m an Android user and this works great on my Pixel 2, but I can’t speak for iPhone users unfortunately
To start with, you’ll need a MyFitnessPal account, a Beeminder account (obviously) and a Fitbit account. The easiest way to do this is to download the Fitbit app and create one.
Then, do the following:
- In the MFP app, tap “Me” in the bottom right corner.
- Tap the gear in the upper right to open the settings menu.
- Tap “My Apps and Devices.”
- Look for “Fitbit Tracker” in the list of all apps and tap it.
- Tap “Connect.”
That establishes the connection between Fitbit and MFP. Now, we’ll work on the connection from Fitbit to Beeminder.
- Log in to your Beeminder account and create a new Fitbit goal.
- Pledge to track “Total Calories Eaten.” I recommend this BMR calculator to get a sense of how many calories you need to consume to maintain or lose weight. Generally speaking, you need a daily defecit of 500 calories to lose a pound a week. That’s extremely fast loss, though, and difficult to maintain, so perhaps it’s better to shoot for half or a third or a quarter pound per week, so your target might be (1.2 x BMR) - X, where X is 250, 166, or 125, respectively.
- Finish setting up the goal as normal.
- That’s it!
et voila! No Fitbit device required