Anyone running their company (contracts/promises) with the use of beeminder?

What type of goals are those?

1 Like

Whatever is normal for a gmailzero goal with the integration (probably whittle down) and one thatā€™s definitely a whittle down goal.

2 Likes

VoilĆ :

(Though, Iā€™ll admit that I havenā€™t looked at that version at all in yearsā€¦ but I do still use a version of it for some of my own goals and thinks itā€™s the catā€™s pyjamas, if I do say so myself.)

4 Likes

Oh thank you! Iā€™ve been wondering about that and wanting to try it out!!!

1 Like

Youā€™re more than welcome. Iā€™m just kinda bummed that I havenā€™t made it better and uploaded more in the last few years.

But please let me know what you think of it if you try it! Iā€™ve been tempted to do more with it, but Iā€™m often too busy to play with these things, so iā€™d be curious what kinds of solutions other people might come up with too!

Actually, all day Iā€™ve been fighting off the urge to shirk my responsibilities and fiddle with it. If I succumb to that temptation in the near future, Iā€™ll let people know!

3 Likes

@mary Looks like itā€™s a PHP webpage? Does it require regular visits to update the goal rates with auto-dialer then?

1 Like

well this escalated quickly

1 Like

Sorry! This got derailed.
Letā€™s move any conversation about the autodialer to: Help yourself to some API files

1 Like

I mean the whole thread about running the company with the use of beeminder, sorry for not being specific :slight_smile:

1 Like

Experimenting since 1 week with UVI. Setting the slope pretty flat.

Wanted to ask what counts as UVI, so I found this

You can start with a very unambitious definition of ā€œimprovementā€. When we originally announced our commitment to do this we listed all of the following as things that count:

• New blog posts
  • Fixing typos
  • Tweaking the layout or the logo or whatever
  • Improvements to how the bot responds to emails
  • Tweaks to the algorithm for generating the yellow brick road
  • Tweets from our main twitter account (@bmndr)
  • Improvements to the log in procedure or payment processing
  • Any new feature or tweak to any feature
  • New tips-of-the-day in the email responses from the bot

Basically, anything that makes Beeminder better, even in the most tiny, trivial way. Over the last 1000 days, weā€™ve gradually gotten more ambitious. Fixing typos and adding tips of the day and whatnot donā€™t count anymore. Bugfixes and CSS tweaks still do. And we have a separate graph for blog posts, which you can see in the sidebar, so this article doesnā€™t count as a UVI.

The real criterion is simply anything weā€™re not ashamed to publicly announce as our UVI of the day. We have (just) enough pride that weā€™d rather cough up the $1000 than tweet anything that clearly violates the spirit of the commitment.

Outstanding recommendation, will keep experimenting with it. Any other recommendations :slight_smile: ?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been away for a while. Bumping this to the top of the forum. Any other known cases where beeminder is used within an organization/company?

3 Likes

I just learned that the lead engineer of CodeCombat is a hardcore Beeminder user since forever and beeminds his time writing code as part of his job.

3 Likes

I use it to check for database backups. I have a script that checks backups automatically with OpenAI. If the JSON doesnā€™t look good, I donā€™t get a point.
After a few days of staleness, it starts becoming a beemergency and I look at the backup. Saved my ass a couple of times.
This is a clever system that gives me peace of mind.
Itā€™s a guarantee that 1) I have a fresh backup and 2) if it goes wrong, Iā€™ll fix the backups

I also Beeminder closing our monthly accounting. Without it, I would never spend the 2 hours that are needed on it. I actually started doing this since 2 month and it changed my lifeā€¦ I noticed that having a tighter financial control motivated us more. Ok, we did XXXX of benefits this month, letā€™s try making more next month! So this one is a must-have too.

I think that if I need a goal right now, it would be to reach out to customers proactively instead of just taking their money. Building trust goes a long wayā€¦

I have one goal thatā€™s called ā€œ_reduce_costsā€. I look at our spendings and reduce them. This can be servers, subscriptions, etc.

Product quality is important, of course, and UVIs help for that. But everything else matters too. Itā€™s useful to take a birdā€™s eye view of the business and ask yourself: ā€œwhat should this human regularly do to improve this company?ā€. It might not be UVIs, but rather, hiring, improving a Google Ads campaign, etc.

Overall, I think the right goals need to be discovered with time. Donā€™t copy paste otherā€™s goals. Create goals that you truly need. (Writing for myself here :slightly_smiling_face:)

3 Likes

Saved my ass a couple of times

it changed my lifeā€¦

Exactly.

2 Likes

Familiar with the ā€˜Beeminder terminologyā€™, I researched a little more and it seems that contracts/promises are called ā€˜complianceā€™ in organizations. I found the 8 disciplines of problem solving an interesting model to approach ā€˜stingsā€™ or as they are called in organizations ā€˜non-conformitiesā€™. Who is familiar with compliance?

1 Like

closing monthly accounting is a genius beeminder.

I always procrastinate that until itā€™s needed.

2 Likes