Apple Health Workout minutes

@apb, have you looked into support for tracking the “Workouts” item in Apple Health? It shows up in the Apple Health app with units of minutes and appears to be the runtime of any workout tracking I do with my Apple Watch.

“Exercise Minutes” is already supported, but that’s too generous – walking downstairs for a cup of water inevitably counts as a workout minute! What I really want is something that sums up time actually spent working out.

6 Likes

@apb I second this! I recently bought a garmin vivosmart fitness tracker and would like to track my gym visits with Beeminder; they show up in Apple health as “workout minutes” though, which I can’t seem to connect to beeminder.

2 Likes

I can look into adding this in the next update! Sorry I didn’t reply @dehowell, I’m not sure how I missed this in January.

3 Likes

Bump for this. If I add a “traditional strength training” workout with a start and end time in Apple Health, it does not get imported.

1 Like

Another bump for this!

Many gym/weight training apps add a “workout” after you’ve completed a session hence would be mighty useful to beemind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any update on potentially adding ‘workouts’ to Apple Health integration?

I can’t seem to find a way, short of manually pressing a button/manual entry, to automatically beemind completed workout sessions in gym apps on iOS.

Keen to know if/how others track this.

1 Like

I agree - being able to indicate a minimum workout time that would count would help with the apple health workout time

1 Like

Does anyone have an answer to this? I’d love to Beemind minutes of workouts as I currently add manually and a) frequently forget to add and b) not always honest about it… but my Apple Watch knows exactly how much workout I’ve done, would be great if it could tell Beeminder.

1 Like

Bump! I think Apple Health’s exercise time does not track what most Beeminder users aim for. Capturing total daily time spent on logged workouts would be a great feature.

Ok, I threw together a quick implementation of this which seems to work.

At the moment I’m focused on getting a bugfix release out, so going to finish that before merging Workout Minutes support, but hopefully should get it into a testflight beta release in the next few weeks.

3 Likes

Sounds great! I look forward to trying it out

Thanks for building that, @theospears! :tada:

To address this philosophical side question, though it need not slow down shipping anything:

Arguably this would be more elegantly represented in hours (using hhmm format),
but people seem to think of it/ask in terms of minutes, so defaulting to that.

This is a hornet’s nest and the status quo is quite bad and possibly, given the badness of the status quo, it’s better to be paternalistic about this and only support hours? I’m very uncertain though.

Maybe it helps to back up and consider the Platonic ideal first…

I believe Beeminder, always ought to know if the minded metric is an amount of time or not. If it is, then it should always require amounts to be specified like HH:MM. If you give a raw number, that’s an error.

Ambiguity about hours vs minutes is such a bugbear. Just the other day @bee was wondering why Beeminder hadn’t made her ride rollers lately. The answer was this:

She had accidentally entered her 20 minutes or whatever it was as “^ 20” instead of “^ 0:20” and logged like 20 hours!

(You might suggest that if she’d just created the goal to track minutes then that wouldn’t have been a problem. But, at least the way things work in the status quo, that’s just as bad the other way around when you accidentally enter “0:20”. I’m thinking we should be ruthlessly anti-magic and anti-postel about this stuff and disallow bare numbers when specifying amounts of time.)

Again, I’m not sure what any of this implies pragmatically now, for the “workout minutes” metric in Apple Health. I guess it’s good to have this in the backs of our minds when working on things like this at least?

1 Like

This is reasonable for tracking things that are of the order of magnitude of hours/minutes, but is more problematic if people want to track eg “30 seconds of eye contact per day” or things which are days long.

Arguably the underlying “time delta” representation should be the same here, but allow separate configuration of the units for entry/display. This is a significant increase in scope though.

2 Likes

The latest beta (TestFlight) build of the iOS app now includes Workout Minutes.

You can join the beta group if you wish using this link: Join the Beeminder beta - TestFlight - Apple - Normal caveats apply, this is very much a beta, and while we try to keep it working, we may release totally broken builds from time to time.

4 Likes