Appropriate catch up on daily planning goal

I have a goal to make a daily plan each workday (so excluding weekends). I have missed a couple of days, bringing me closer to derailing, and I wonder, is there an honest way of bringing my total plans up while still being painful enough to keep the goal meaningful, or should I just brace myself to derail from time to time? (I have set a low cap on the pledge limit.)
I could obviously plan a weekend day, and I did count one of those when we were busy house-hunting, but on thinking about it, that feels too tempting a loophole for me.

1 Like

What about just scheduling a couple flat days with the Take A Break feature? It takes a week but then you’ll have the safety buffer back with no loopholiness.

1 Like

Too easy.

1 Like

you can also take a break at a rate that is 0 < X < current rate - so it won’t be completely flat, but for those break days, you’ll gain more buffer than you normally would each day you make a plan.

alternately, you suck it up and derail once in awhile, but hopefully the $5 derailment cost was well worth the X days of planning you did because of it!

3 Likes

I used to have a goal very much like this. What I did was to write something in my fine print that spelled out the exact conditions under which I was allowed to count a data point on the weekend, which included the fact that I would otherwise derail (i.e. I couldn’t do it on the weekends just to build up a safety buffer), and what I had to do which would count “in the same spirit” as my weekday goal (I forget the precise details). This may or may not make sense for you. If it doesn’t make sense, i.e. you really want to do this goal only on weekdays, then suck it up and derail — if you could make your road have a flat spot every weekend but the same average slope, then presumably you would have already derailed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion.

This isn’t quite related to the catch-up question, but I’ll point out that my app, Complice, is designed for daily planning, and has beeminder integration built in! (Blog post announcing this here)

2 Likes