Beeminder Wiki: A Humble Beginning

A while back I suggested a Beeminder wiki, but I’m afraid we got kind of bogged down in the details and failed to come to a consensus. So I’ve decided to move forward with a simple GitHub Pages site. It should be simple enough to migrate the content somewhere else later. But the longer we put it off, the longer we don’t have a place to document all the amazing things people build around Beeminder.

Also, it’s Hacktoberfest so contributions could earn you a nice t-shirt. :wink:

4 Likes

Great idea! What do you think of adding the Beeminder Integrations Megalist forum topic as a starting point?

3 Likes

Great idea! Would want to check with @matti before we copy it in. Maybe until he weighs in we can just link to it?

3 Likes

Right now, it’s just a readme.md file that’s echoed on your domain. Are you expecting it to stay on one file? With as many things Beeminder is capable of, I imagine that one page could get rather lengthy. Of course, with the use of in-page hyperlinks and drop-downs, it might be fine, but is there a strong argument for keeping it this way? I was expecting the readme file to have instructions on contributing or at least what to expect in the repository.

2 Likes

Yes, good points! Notes on how to contribute would be a great addition!

GitHub Pages allows the site to be split into multiple pages. Create a new .md file and then link to it this way:

[Link Text](my-file.md)
2 Likes

Huzzah! Now, what comes next?

Taken from the original thread written by @dsernst five years ago:

• Beeminder Use Cases . Deeper coverage around common use cases like fitness, productivity, diet, business goals.
    • Popular goals like mustdo, weight, language learning (duolingo, anki), TagTime, writing, bites of food.
    • Explanations about some of the best “featured” goals . Each use-case could get its own dedicated page, exploring different approaches about what to track.
  • A Beeminder Getting Started Guide .
  • Manual pages for individual features . How the feature works. Link to blog posts announcing it. Recording the feature’s history?
  • Shared place for Akratics Anonymous to compile strategies such as dealing with Beeminder Burnout
  • Common support questions and their go-to answers.

I wonder what you had in mind, @narthur? I’d be more than happy to start drafting sections for any parts of the above, or any other ideas you might have, but I don’t wanna be overbearing or anything.

2 Likes

All of the above! Please feel free to go wild. :smile:

3 Likes

Surely there’s a statute of limitations for @matti to say “no” to his list? Although I’m sure he’s unlikely to be upset if we did copy it (while giving credit, of course).

If you want PRs to this repo to count as Hacktoberfest contributions, you need to tag the repo with the hacktoberfest topic. (See Hacktoberfest 2023) This is a recent change to the way Hacktoberfest works (this year)—it’s now only for repos that opt-in.

3 Likes

Good point. I believe I’ve already done that?

1 Like

Indeed, I see it:

Screenshot from 2020-10-08 14-42-47

I don’t think it was there when I looked before, but maybe it was and I missed it, in which case never mind.

2 Likes

I just created a Beeminder goal to ensure I keep contributing to the wiki:

https://www.beeminder.com/narthur/bm-wiki

One commit at a time! :smiley:

3 Likes

@dreev Where would this project need to be before you were comfortable putting this on wiki.beeminder.com? (I guess that’s assuming such a point exists… Does it?)

1 Like

Definitely. In fact, we could add that CNAME or whatever right now if you prefer it there than under https://www.nathanarthur.com/ (cc @adamwolf who can do the subdomain magic whenever you say the word).

1 Like

@dreev @adamwolf Ok, I’ve added the CNAME! Let me know if there’s anything else I need to do.

1 Like

Done!

3 Likes

Wohoo! https://wiki.beeminder.com/ :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve started featuring contribution goals on the wiki home page. Anyone interested in creating a personal contribution goal so I can feature it? :smiley:

1 Like