Beeminding a value in a spreadsheet

I am currently grading exams (using a spreadsheet), and beeminding the total number of exams graded so far. This number is given by the value of a cell in my spreadsheet, which is in my Dropbox. So far, I’ve been entering the data manually, but would love to automate it.

Has anyone ever automated the beeminding of a spreadsheet cell value?

In an ideal world, I would use an IFTTT recipe along the lines of: IF the spreadsheet is updated in Dropbox THEN send the value of cell A3 to Beeminder. But it doesn’t look like IFTTT can do that. I would also be happy with a solution which checks the value of the cell on a regular basis (e.g. once an hour).
I’m using several computers for this with a variety of OSs, so I’d like to avoid writing a shell script.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

2 Likes

What’s your spreadsheet program?
It might be possible to make a macro that sends a datapoint when the cell is updated.

1 Like

i’ve used a zapier zap to update beeminder when a new line was added to a spreadsheet on google drive. there’s also an option to trigger on new or updated rows.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, I don’t know why I didn’t think of using a macro!
I’m using LibreOffice, so I should manage to get it to work.

1 Like

Thanks, I hadn’t noticed that Zapier had the option to send the value of a cell. If I can’t get the macro to work, I’ll switch from Dropbox to Google Sheets for this.

1 Like

If you do get a macro to work, post it here so others can work out how to do it. :trophy:

1 Like