- 2023W52–2024W03: No breaks planned yet.
Changes and notes
As I come out of the holiday season, which meant nearly a month off beeminder, there’s a bunch of goal changes I’m making in reflection of how it went.
- Setting a stop to
brushdark. I’ve tried this before when I felt like I was cruising along and ended up needing to bring the goals back, and I don’t mind if that happens again, but I don’t think I missed any brushes this month. I’ll keep
flossing around, though, that’s still less automatic.
gym is on another month-long break, while…
- …I increase focus on
cardio, ramping it up to 4/wk but trying for 5/wk. If that’s sustainable I’ll increase the slope again in the future, if not, no stress.
spanish is on a month’s break while I look for new practice strategies - I’d been primarily using Busuu and it was good for a while but is becoming annoyingly Spain-spanish focused. When it comes back, I’ll get points for “tried out a new thing, even if I don’t feel like I strictly learned any spanish from that thing yet.” Possibly trying out some spanish-language fiction books I already like and already broadly understand?
- My side project goal,
endoscreen, is in a good steady state right now, so I’m archiving that goal since I still don’t really have anything to do for it at the moment. I’ve got a few days still on the hook, there wasn’t that much safety buffer, so I’ll focus up on documentation and handover docs for future-me a bit.
- I don’t feel like
gratitude has, honestly, been all that helpful recently? When I started tracking it closely it was very helpful for general mood, so I feel weird sending it away, but… I think it’s done what it needed to, and I don’t need such close tracking here anymore. Definitely another one that I expect to want to bring back somewhen in the future though!
- I’ve found myself really wanting more meditation time but not feeling like I have the activation energy for it, so, uh, hello bemminder, ramp that one right up. Gentle ramp for now to make sure I actually want that, not just want-to-want that.
yoga is back, for the umpteenth time. I have no really good plan for how it’s going to go better this time except hope, which is generally not a great strategy. Except I turned on notifications from Down Dog, a yoga app I really like, so this is kind of also Beemind-What-You-Buy-ing? Fingers crossed. For how much I really genuinely enjoy doing yoga, you’d think it’d be easier to keep up a regular home practice.
- 2024W03–2024W05: No breaks planned.
Changes and notes
No changes at all, the goals are all comfy! A rare place to be.
spanish derailed for $0, which I feel silly about, so the badge is yellow. I meant to go to the library and get a children’s book in spanish to work through, and forgot until after they closed, and instead of doing anything else I just mentally uncled out of it. It was at $0 though so I don’t feel that bad, although I do wish I could have literally uncled out of it[forum]—but alas. It was about time for me to ping @dreev somewhere and beg for it again anyways!
- 2024W07–2024W10: No breaks planned.
Changes and notes
- Oh gosh, stopping those hobby-goals was so helpful. I’ve finally been able to get back on top of OitNR[blog], a task at least two months in the making, modulo long breaks. I didn’t stop that many goals, but just enough to free up enough mental space to Do Things.
- Accordingly, no new goals or adjustments: I’m luxuriating in “feeling comfy”. I haven’t forgotten about
slow-chess, though; in re: the former, I’m working on jailbreaking my old kindle to use as a display for my priority list, though I fear it might be on too old a firmware for the particular mod I was planning on using. We’ll see.
- @poisson will be pleased (or at least startled into his own action) that I stumbled across my TAPs[forum] page in my notes, all of which I’d completely forgotten, but the review for which I’ve now put in my
weekly-review checklist (for which the rest of: see below). My Sapience Spell—triggered when I scratch my nose or crack my knuckles—came back immediately; my “pick up floss after putting down toothbrush” goal apparently successfully became so habitual I forgot it was once a thing I had to teach myself to do, which is heartening, and my “trim my beard when I feel the shower water and it’s not hot enough” TAP is obsolete because my bathroom is now the closest room to the water heater so it will never have a chance to trigger. Any suggestions for new triggers to attach to "tidy up scraggly beard hairs " are welcome!
Weekly Review Checklist
To head off the obvious question “what is ‘review TAPs’ alongside, exactly?”, my weekly review goal has me
- Gather inputs from browser tabs
- Gather inputs from journal
- Check on any waiting-fors (I use some dataviewjs[github] blocks in Obsidian to automate detecting Project files that have active tasks in their Waiting For category)
- Consider every someday/maybe and discard stales or promote to active projects
- Process inputs to bugs/actions/projects/do-immediately
- Empty “Project without actions” (another dataviewjs block)
- Scan actions for stales & completes
- Check in on [[TAPs]] (which links to the TAPs page that I stumbled across that prompted this update).
This checklist lives in the same file in Obsidian as the references dataviewjs blocks as well as a massive block that pulls together all the Next Actions from all my project files and categorizes them.
Ah. Yeah, I too forgot that I had once dreamed of making TAPs “a thing”. The sapience spell actually might still work—it was attached to a watch I haven’t worn in a while, so it’s possible that if I do, it’ll come back. I’ll give it a try. The others I attempted, I don’t even remember, I’ll have to start over.
As for the beard trimming… I’ll just say something in discord, since this is going to end up being an actual conversation.