šŸŒø Emilyā€™s insomnia journal

:green_circle: thu 4 ā†’ fri 5

I think I went to sleep at around midnight. Woke up two minutes before the alarm (8:28am). I forgot that this kind of thing can actually happen, huh. I didnā€™t wake up well-rested but there was no insomnia either.

Didnā€™t have to rush because I attended a meeting at home and only then went to the office. Didnā€™t hate the meeting.

Iā€™m still sleep-deprived. Couldnā€™t do anything today after 7pm. Just watching TV and taking a nap. Iā€™ll probably crash on the weekend.

Factors:

1. No smoking, no drinking, no caffeine.
  2. No social anything except for going to the office.
  3. Ate five times but all of them were small meals (a crepe, a salad bowl, a small bowl of rice, another crepe, a bit of pasta) evenly spaced.
  4. Set temperature of 23ĀŗC on the AC before going to bed, which felt a tiny bit too cold but sorta alright.
  5. I still feel sleep-deprived.
  6. I canā€™t do anything else about [sources of stress] and now I just have to wait for the end of month for my salary to come, so Iā€™m in the freeze-mode (or ignore-obligations-mode) now.

I think (5 6 4) are important.

3 Likes

:green_circle: fri 5 ā†’ sat 6

I didnā€™t crash on Saturday. I did get up quite late (like 10-11?) but didnā€™t crash. Nice. I donā€™t feel sleep-deprived today either.

I was very stressed out in the evening because I got an email about taxes that I potentially would have to pay, but I switched to Artemis and she was much less stressed so I managed to fall asleep.

The work situation on Friday was better as well.

Factors:

1. No social anything except for going to the office.
  2. But didnā€™t go to the office immediately in the morning!
  3. And had a 1.5h long pair programming / code review meeting at work, which I enjoyed because I could easily say ā€œok this bit I donā€™t understandā€ and sometimes people would say ā€œus neitherā€.
  4. Four meals (morning crepe, half a wok at work, schnitzel, omelette at night).
  5. Switching to Artemis at night.
  6. AC 23ĀŗC (I donā€™t think itā€™s actually 23ĀŗC but I canā€™t check).
  7. Iā€™ve been taking magnesium before bed for the past couple days.

I think (5 6 3 2) are important.

1 Like

I did not follow your thread from the beginning.

A dumb question, but do you have any serious workout :weight_lifting_woman: in your routine? Some weigh lifting, running >5km, callisthenics till you vomit, playing football? At least 2 times a week? This could help you regulate your anxiety and sleep.

3 Likes

Nope, no workouts.

I havenā€™t found anything that I would enjoy doing (and for things that I donā€™t enjoy doing, well, Iā€™m not doing them cuz adhd). I tried having weights at home but ended up just ignoring them. Activities with people are fun but those require people.

Maybe I could at least make a beeminder push-ups goal. Ok done, weā€™ll see if it sticks.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry this is not what I meant. If it helps you start something serious - then itā€™s good, but 100 push-ups plans arenā€™t nowhere close to real workout. I anticipated this move, so mentioned ā€œcallisthenic till you vomitā€ :smiley:

Hit the gym or do football or squash.

For gym, pick any 7 exercises, use gym machines to safely and aggressively increase the weight without asking ppl to help you. Do 3 series, 10 reps each. Increase weight by 5kgs every second visit on the gym. I recommend GymBook for iPhone to track progression. Youā€™ll love it. Beeminder is not good for tracking exercises. Beemind time spent in the gym or do beenary ā€œwas to gym/wasnā€™tā€. Check if your employer gives you multisport card, this should make gym more affordable.

Squash and football are good because they get you super tired within 1h and are good for building confidence. There are Facebook groups to find folks. Those two games are very good for your brain and good for finding pals to hang out with. In Warsaw I think should be doable to play football for free or like 10 zł/hour with bigger group.

Thatā€™s it in the nutshell, I can expand if something is unclear. This is not something I invented today, I was doing these at various stages of my life.

3 Likes

If it helps you start something serious - then itā€™s good, but 100 push-ups plans arenā€™t nowhere close to real workout.

Ok, will keep this in mind in case the push-ups have no impact on my sleep.

I already know that football or squash with random people are way outside my comfort zone and therefore not happening for now, but ā€œuse gym machines [ā€¦] without asking ppl to help youā€ sounds potentially doable. Possibly starting from June.

1 Like

:yellow_circle: sat 6 ā†’ sun 7

Went to bed at like 2:30am, was restless while in bed so this is marked as yellow. (Restlessness in bed = what I dislike about falling asleep. Red circles are reserved for nights when I actually failed to fall asleep.)

Factors:

1. Went to the school where I used to teach, showed kids how to maintain our website so that I wouldnā€™t have to do it. Hung out with the kids for a bit basically.
  2. No work on Saturday.
  3. No social anything otherwise.
  4. Got very tilted after playing Overwatch and losing a lot. Extra tilt comes from the fact that I half-suspect Iā€™m just innately bad at it. ā€œWhatā€™s wrong with meā€ etc. Got even more tilted when macOS updated and the trackpad settings changed slightly and I didnā€™t manage to fix them. (Today I already donā€™t care. Huh.)
  5. Unfortunately I forgot to keep track of what I ate, but I think it was less than usual. I was slightly hungry at night already.
  6. AC 23ĀŗC.
  7. Magnesium.
  8. Watched a lot of Taskmaster.
  9. Very few steps (3k, lowest in the week).
  10. Had unwashed hair for the whole day. It usually brings my mood down.

I think (4 5 possibly 8 10) caused restlessness. I think (1 6) helped.

NB: I also moved my phone charger out of the bedroom a few days ago and I think itā€™s helping slightly. Not a commitment, more like a reminder that I probably donā€™t want to be using my phone in bed.

1 Like

:red_circle: sun 7 ā†’ mon 8

Went to bed atā€¦ midnight? I think. Was already feeling restless. Watched one episode of Taskmaster in bed. Spent the rest of the time genuinely lying in bed without my phone and trying to fall asleep.

Didnā€™t manage to fall asleep till 5am, gave up, wrote an email to work saying ā€œhey guys I have insomnia Iā€™ll shift my working hours todayā€. Finally fell half-asleep at 7am. I didnā€™t have proper sleep anyway, more like a series of several light sleeps in a row.

Factors:

1. Monday coming? The previous red-insomnia was for a sunday-to-monday night as well. Even though the previous Monday wasnā€™t actually a work day.
  2. Ate some candy during the day (usually I donā€™t).
  3. Didnā€™t eat enough during the day (two light meals + snacks).
  4. Was expecting unpleasant emails that couldnā€™t have come during the weekend.
  5. Was waking up around ~10am during the weekend. Maybe consistent waking up times are more important than I thought, and I should have an alarm on the weekends after all.
  6. AC 23ĀŗC.
  7. 7k steps.
  8. No social anything.
  9. 30 pushups? No idea how it might be relevant. (ā€¦but two days later my arms are still sore)

I think (5 1) are important, but Iā€™m kinda at a loss here.

2 Likes

:green_circle: mon 8 ā†’ tue 9

Was hosting couchsurfers. Slept on the sofa. Had a long night walk and went to sleep at 4am. Fell asleep somewhat easily (although spent some time watching YT). Woke up at 8am = sleep-deprived.

I think the primary reason for falling asleep easily was ā€œhaving people aroundā€. I feel different when I have people around. Less in my head.

Unrelatedly, beeminder pushups are canceled. I forgot I donā€™t like having a midnight deadline every day.

1 Like

just curious, but is there a reason why you canceled the goal instead of moving the deadline to another hour?

It applies to all deadlines, not just midnight ones.

But also I donā€™t think I want to be having this goal regardless.

Generally I like noncommittal tracking (would be nice to post one update per day) much more than committal stuff (post one update or else youā€™ll derail). If I canā€™t achieve something with noncommittal trackingā€¦ well, there are always other interventions to try.

It also doesnā€™t help that my arms are still sore three days after 30 half-assed push-ups, so my aversion to them is at the all-time high.

2 Likes

:radio_button: tue 9 ā†’ wed 10, :radio_button: wed 10 ā†’ thu 11

I didnā€™t keep track. I didnā€™t have red insomnia, but beyond that ā€“ I donā€™t remember.

I have an alarm for 8:30am every day now, even on the weekends, so I might end up with a consistent wake-up time like everybody recommends. Weā€™ll see if it holds up on the weekend.

Unfortunately today I didnā€™t manage to stop working after 5pm, but at least itā€™s not like it was in 2014 when I was half-working half-living pretty much all day.

2 Likes

:green_circle: thu 11 ā†’ fri 12

Fell asleep easily. Got up easily, even though Iā€™m not feeling well-rested.

2 Likes

:green_circle: fri 12 ā†’ sat 13

Fell asleep easily. Possibly because I was working a lot on Friday, or maybe thanks to the 8:30am alarm every day.

2 Likes

:yellow_circle: sat 13 ā†’ sun 14

Was sleepy at 11am already but waited till midnight and became sort of restless. Played Overwatch.

Finally went to bed again at around 2am and (I think?) fell asleep easily.

Woke up at 8:28, two minutes before the alarm.

2 Likes

:red_circle: sun 14 ā†’ mon 15

Come Sunday and I get a red again ą² _ą² 

Couldnā€™t fall asleep till 5 or 7am. It felt like being 3/4 asleep but still somehow not asleep, and the time was passing very slowly (let me have another session of deep and dreamless slumberā€¦ hey siri whatā€™s the timeā€¦ oh huh only 15 minutes have passed).

Possible causes:

1. Took a nap in the middle of the day.
  2. Irregular meals on the weekend.
  3. Ate kebab at like midnight (kebab isnā€™t wholesome food).
  4. Was smoking on Sunday to get some tasks done.
2 Likes

Iā€™m starting to think that nicotine really messes sleep up. Maybe you could use some rule that says: no smoking after Xh? Iā€™m starting one for myself since it looks like nicotine gums are a huge factor for me.

For reference, here are the durations of effect of Nicotine:

smoked

Total: 6 hours

chewed

Total: 7.5 hours

Taking into account slow metabolisms and/or a wind down period before sleep, Nicotine intake should be stopped around 15:00

1 Like

I keep track of when I smoke (and I donā€™t have any other sources of nicotine intake). Apt 29 (Sat), May 2 (Tue), May 3 (Wed), May 14 (Sun). While the red insomnia only happens on sundays so far, three times in a row.

I was smoking heavily a few months ago and I donā€™t remember having everyday insomnia. But I also wasnā€™t working back then, so maybe itā€™s different.

2 Likes

:yellow_circle: mon 15 ā†’ tue 16

Was still somewhat sleep-deprived, so meh. But didnā€™t have that much trouble falling asleep.

Also, renaming this to Emilyā€™s insomnia journal for experimental purposes. Maybe Iā€™ll change it back later, maybe not, weā€™ll see.

2 Likes

:green_circle: tue 16 ā†’ wed 17

I think it was okay. I went to sleep slightly late, but it was okay.

2 Likes