šŸŒø Emilyā€™s insomnia journal

:yellow_circle: fri 2 ā†’ sat 3

I donā€™t even enjoy playing Zelda that much. Itā€™s just addictive.

Went to sleep at 3-4am, woke up at 7:30am, thought ā€œehā€ and went back to sleep. Woke up three hours later. Then something like an hour and a half of getting up, shower, more Zelda. Left the house at 1:30pm. Head aches slightly. Havenā€™t had breakfast yet.

I wonā€™t be playing Zelda this weekend and the whole next week. If I feel better, maybe I just wonā€™t play at all. I canā€™t get a refund but whatever, I donā€™t have to suffer through it.

Iā€™d also like to track getting up time in addition to ā€œhow easy it was to fall asleepā€. I donā€™t like that it usually takes me 1.5h to get out of the house, regardless of when I wake up.

1 Like

:green_circle: sat 3 ā†’ sun 4

Didnā€™t play Zelda. No significant problems falling asleep. Was already very sleepy at midnight. I think for me being sleepy = getting distracted much more easily, worse memory, less willpower.

Will be in Krakow for the next three days.

1 Like

:yellow_circle: sun 4 ā†’ mon 5

I think falling asleep was ok, but the sleep was too light.

I spent the evening drinking & smoking & also had a few coffees during the day. Itā€™sā€¦ less and less fun, and I donā€™t want to keep going. But also I just donā€™t know what else to do during bar conversations. I donā€™t feel particularly good just talking to people without doing anything else in the process.

Or, perhaps, in general my mood/state just isnā€™t good-by-default? I donā€™t know.

I donā€™t think this line of thinking is productive, even, without concrete examples. But I donā€™t have time to give them right now.

Going back to the scope of this thread ā€” Iā€™m still waking up at 7:30am, but I havenā€™t yet managed to start going to sleep at the appropriate time.

1 Like

Some success on the non-drinking front:

• was at a conference afterparty
  • wasnā€™t enjoying it
  • instead of drinking, just went home (or to read a book in the park, I havenā€™t decided yet)

As a side-noteā€¦ it would be interesting to know what Iā€™m distracting myself from. Because right now I donā€™t know.

Update: remembered that ā€œDriven to Distractionā€ is a book that exists. Might be the time to read it.

1 Like

:yellow_circle: :red_circle: mon 5 ā†’ tue 6

Very light sleep. Was falling in and out; remember being awake at 2am and at 5am even though I went to sleep at like 11:30. No idea why. Possible factors:

1. coffee
  2. hotel environment
  3. not eating enough
  4. being upset in the evening
  5. reading about ADHD in the evening
  6. wrap w/ jalapeƱo in the evening

(1 2 3, maybe 6) would be my bets maybe.

1 Like

:radio_button: tue 6 ā†’ wed 7

I donā€™t remember.

:yellow_circle: wed 7 ā†’ thu 8

I didnā€™t drink or anything. Yet, I just crashed in the evening and woke up at 4:30am with a headache. No idea why.

Btw, Iā€™d like to also keep track of how much time it took me to leave the house. Usually itā€™s 1.5hr. Iā€™d like to reduce this time.

For now, I will only be recording this for days when I go to the office and when I wake up at a reasonable time. Unfortunately, it doesnā€™t seem like I can edit the thread title anymore ą² _ą² 

1 Like

Actually no, Iā€™m closing this thread instead. Insomnia ā€“ as in, ā€œcanā€™t fall asleep easily / at allā€ ā€“ is solved. I like keeping out-of-scope things out of scope.

Thanks to everyone who participated!

2 Likes

ā€¦Maybe I was a bit too hasty. I donā€™t want to do daily updates anymore, but I might still want to post here every once in a while.

It seems that waking up at 7:30am still isnā€™t going well. Iā€™m doing it, but Iā€™m also not getting 8 hours of sleep, and crashing in the evenings.

I might create a WOC thread for this, but not for now. Donā€™t want thread fatigue.

Going to sleep before midnight seems like a necessary condition for this. So far itā€™s not happening.

I wonder if going to sleep late is connected to napping in the evening.

1 Like

I switched to the 8am waking up time.

Iā€™d like to resurrect this thread and try to achieve consistent 8hr of sleep. Letā€™s say that going to bed before midnight is green, before 12:30 is yellow, and everything else is red.

:red_circle: Jul 8

I went to sleep around 2am. I feel not even sleepy now, but more like the previous day hasnā€™t ended. Just a very long day. I donā€™t like it.

No energy to do anything. Sitting in the corner of the shower right now.

Factors:

• Started doing an important task at midnight. Generally I donā€™t trust myself to do tasks, and this distrust is justified. So I didnā€™t feel comfortable stopping, even though I was aware of the midnight.

• Possible solutions: be more careful in organizing my life in such a way that this kind of stuff doesnā€™t come up. Know thy limitations.
  • It was Saturday. I generally donā€™t know what to do on Saturdays.

• Possible solutions: nothing. Just accept that I have no solutions right now, wait and see.
1 Like

Go out, touch grass, talk to the birds, listen to music, buy a sandwhich?

1 Like

Iā€™m already usually spending saturdays by loitering around the city, riding scooters for two hours, enjoying the sun, going to restaurants, etc. It feels very unsatisfying.

2 Likes

:yellow_circle: Jul 9

Went to bed at 12:25 or so.

Feeling tired in the morning but whatever.

1 Like

This sucks
Maybe doing something radically different could help?
Just throwing ideas around, Iā€™m actually facing similar issues when on an off-day

1 Like

:green_circle: Jul 10

Was hanging out with my sister, tired, went to bed before midnight, woke up sleepy but alright, got to the office earlier than usual, nice.

Iā€™m randomly tired/sleepy in the evenings and I donā€™t know why. Maybe I donā€™t eat enough. (I donā€™t.) Maybe something else.

1 Like

FWIW I watched two episodes of House today while walking outside, and I think itā€™s a more wholesome activity than loitering or being at home.

2 Likes

Still going to sleep around 2am. Many more episodes of House to go. Right now I donā€™t even feel like fixing this.

2 Likes

did you finish it x) ?

1 Like

Nope, currently finishing season 3.

Meanwhile, insomnia started again. Possibly because I stopped eating caffeine tabs. Computer says it might be a caffeine withdrawal effect.

2 Likes

I started vaping and smoking (again) very shortly after stopping caffeine tabs. Now my chest hurts. Iā€™ll resume the caffeine because insomnia is still better than chest pain.

1 Like

An update two months later: resumed caffeine, no smoking, no chest pain. Surprisingly, caffeine (even 400-600mg) doesnā€™t seem to cause insomnia. I am getting slightly sleep-deprived throughout the week (due to getting less than 8h of sleep?), but no particular issues with falling asleep unless I vape. Overall Iā€™m more or less ok with continuing caffeine tabs until I get ADHD meds.

2 Likes