šŸŒø Emilyā€™s tasks journal

regular reflection etc

Still nothing. This entire week at work I was either socializing orā€¦ idk? Being sick? I want to write. But I have some kind of sleepiness / disorganization / brain fog going on.

Consuming a lot of caffeine all the time.

I can work if I know what is the next thing to do, but stopping and thinking ā€” this feels hard.

Maybe itā€™s a combination of first being sick and now not getting enough sleep? Like idk worse sleep => worse memory => harder to reflect because I canā€™t remember what was happening two days ago.

doing tasks in order

Doing home tasks in order too now. Or at least several times I did.

other

No other for now.

3 Likes

Just noticed a thing that stops me from doing some tasks (at least when coding): if there are two equivalent ways to do the same thing, I feel anxious about accidentally choosing one that is not ā€œrightā€ or ā€œrecommendedā€

Example: Iā€™m migrating a node.js project to Turbobuild and I can either use pnpm or turbo as the task runner. So now Iā€™m waiting for an answer from the Turbobuild maintainer about which he prefers.

3 Likes

Doing tasks in order still feels good.

I have two notebooks. Wondering if I should use the second one for tasks that a) I can do any time (not necessary to do today) and b) that are not scary. I know i canā€™t force myself to do things that are scary. But I can at least do the things that are not scary but that I still donā€™t do.

4 Likes

regular reflection etc

Not happening for now.

doing tasks in order

Sadly today instead of doing tasks in order I spent nearly all working time (and more!) at one task, which was ā€œletā€™s run some experimentsā€ and then later ā€œletā€™s try to fix the experiments after realizing they are wrong but I already did a write-upā€.

Ie. not a well-defined task, but rather ā€œinvestigate Xā€.

Itā€™s easy to get sucked into those, and I did.

I think partly this is also fueled by anxiety. What would happen if I donā€™t do the experiments? THE SYSTEM WOULD REMAIN BROKEN. HAVE TO FIX THE SYSTEM.

This is yet another example of sneaky anxiety that isnā€™t normal ā€œIā€™m scared someone might be angry at meā€ and so itā€™s much harder to stop and try to be comfortable with it.

3 Likes

TIMESTAMPS ARE BROKEN. TIMESTAMPS MIGHT FOREVER REMAIN BROKEN. Very scary.

3 Likes

regular reflection etc

Not happening recently.

I suppose it could happen if I added it to the list of things to do during the day? But then I also suppose it would have to happen in the middle of the day, not by the end of it when Iā€™m tired.

doing tasks in order

Itā€™s working! Iā€™ve been doing tasks in order both at home and at work, and I like it.

3 Likes

regular reflection etc

Not happening recently.

doing tasks in order

Iā€™m doing tasks in order! At work Iā€™m doing tasks in order and thatā€™s nice. At home Iā€™m doing tasks less in order but still nice. This is great. Man this is good. (Itā€™s like 6.5/10 good, maybe 7/10 good.)

other

Iā€™m not reviewing the stack of work tasks in Things. So even after Iā€™m done with work, random ā€œTodayā€ tasks in Things still remain there. I donā€™t like it.

Same with long-running work tasks. Iā€™m not reviewing them re/ making progress on them, and not transferring any tasks from Things lists into the ā€œtodayā€ work list. I donā€™t like it either. I want to either make progress on tasks or give up on them.

Important work tasks and important home tasks also stay out of today lists mostly.

3 Likes

regular reflection etc

Not happening recently.

doing tasks in order

Works even better when Iā€™m in the office and the weather is good (like today) and there are people around (like today).

I also started a new notebook, ā€œSocial tasksā€. For reaching out / keeping in touch with people. Things like ā€œsend photos to [friend]ā€, etc. And doing things in order applies to it as well.

other

Mini-vacation (four days) starts tomorrow.

Iā€™m still drinking several coffees daily. And my mood is bad without the coffee. And I still think it would be good to switch from Strattera to Ritalin, maybe.

2 Likes

regular reflection etc

Not happening recently.

doing tasks in order

I had a day off today and I did lots of tasks, both Brick.do and home/life tasks, in order. Happy about it.

The planning phase (ā€œfind tasks in the morning to write downā€) is a bit tricky for home, b/c I donā€™t have an established notion of ā€œlonger-term projectsā€ right now. For Brick itā€™s easier because the backlog of tasks existed in advance.

:new: ā€œsocial tasksā€ notebook

I have a notebook but nothing else yet.

other

@graysonā€™s idea of ā€œbacklog with no pressureā€ lives on as a ā€˜Somedayā€™ list in Things and I am using this list more often now. However, a lot of things there are either hard to do (ā€œfind a therapistā€), or I donā€™t really want to do them (ā€¦do something that is useful for others but not myself).

Fine, weā€™ll sort it out later.

3 Likes

One thing Iā€™ve just noticed is that I still feel reluctant to move tasks into Someday because I know they will die there. So things like ā€œcontribute to a friendā€™s crowdfunding campaignā€ remain in the email inbox.

Which is what regular review of Someday supposed to fix! Probably.

For work tasks, anything that has ā€œstepsā€ becomes a new project in Things and then itā€™s fine if it lives there forever. But for life tasks, Iā€™m not doing this except for the ā€œlong running tasksā€ notebook that Iā€™ve been neglecting.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll avoid solving it for now. I carved out a ā€œSocial tasksā€ notebook and Iā€™ll try to get it going first.

3 Likes

regular reflection etc

Not happening for now. 5pm and Iā€™m home. Idk.

I havenā€™t been using the ā€œwork tasksā€ notebook recently so I canā€™t even put the reflection task there. Not sure why.

doing tasks in order

Still doing tasks in order and it still works.

social tasks notebook

It definitely made me do some things I wouldnā€™t have done otherwise.

At the same time, Iā€™m not putting enough tasks there. Iā€™d like to have a larger backlog. (I just went through the Someday tasks and found only one thing. Maybe thatā€™s the use of Someday! To generate backlogs for things later!)

other

One thing about work that I just realized: I think I canā€™t stop to think when Iā€™m under stress (have a task that Iā€™m procrastinating on). If I feel free, I can stop to think and I can prioritize / reflect / whatever.

2 Likes

regular reflection

Not happening

doing tasks in order

Slowed down but still ensures that tasks of medium ickiness get done eventually

social notebook

Idk Iā€™m almost not using it. But social things do happen otherwise so itā€™s ok

other

Switched to Ritalin. Sleepy a lot. Almost no energy for anything after work.

Generally it seems that I have very little time for non-work tasks, unless itā€™s a long weekend or smth.

2 Likes

The situation in the past three days has been pretty bad:

• Iā€™ve started taking ritalin 30mg (up from 20mg).
  • It caused some kind of hypefocus where I was working on a single work project until 11pm and was neglecting all other work tasks or home chores. (Or eating.)
  • This doesnā€™t feel so good.
    • Including having a headache. But also just in general.

:white_check_mark: I already made a note to not work on that project tomorrow. Weā€™ll see what happens.

In other news, the ā€œSomedayā€ hack maybe makes things a bit easier, but now I have the same problem for work tasks. For example, my entire wishlist for the work project I mentioned above.

:white_check_mark: I suppose I can make a ā€œwork somedayā€ project in Things and just dump all the wishlist items there. ā€“ done

2 Likes

One more thing:

I am struggling with any tasks that are like ā€œmaintaining invariantsā€.

For example, I maintain a Discord server. And I have an invariant that ā€œREAL NAMES OF ALL PEOPLE JOINING DISCORD MUST BE POSTED IN A SECRET CHANNELā€. So for the past two days I had a todo about that. It doesnā€™t have a deadline, itā€™s not even that important at all. But I want to keep maintaining invariants :sob:

Same for things like ā€œfix my chess game that used to work and now it stoppedā€ (the invariant being ā€œthe game must work at all timesā€), or ā€œrecord meetups in Logseqā€, or anything else that Iā€™ve decided to record, whatever.

2 Likes

^ tasks like ā€œreply to peopleā€ are also in the same category.

I donā€™t feel like I should just decide not to reply to family/friends/colleagues? And I donā€™t feel like I should do it ā€œeventually / possibly neverā€, either. But at the same time itā€™s never urgent and never important. So idk what to do.

(when itā€™s urgent/important I do reply promptly)

2 Likes

Update: I just sat down and did a bunch of chores rn and it wasnā€™t hard.

I guess the problem would solve itself if I hadā€¦ more free time? Or more free time with energy? Like, everything gets done just fine if I have a long weekend or if I donā€™t feel tired.

2 Likes

A long, long time ago (like, 25 years ago) I realized that I needed to keep my life less full than other people apparently need to keep their lives. It was the start of a long, long process (still ongoing) to honor me-the-way-I-am, instead of oh-look-over-there-at-all-these-other-people-this-is-how-Adult-Humans-do-it-so-get-cracking-self.

Along the way this led me to realize that I donā€™t have to do social things just because other people want me to do them. As in, I donā€™t have to call X back just because X called me. I donā€™t have to respond to Yā€™s email this week, or ever. I donā€™t have to reply to Zā€™s text message (and I turned off the ability for people to see when Iā€™ve read their messages). I donā€™t think itā€™s inaccurate to liken this to (for someone else) a person barging into your house expecting you to make them coffee and cake just because theyā€™re in the mood for it.

One of the biggest gifts we can give ourselves is to realize and honor the way we actually tick, emotionally-physically-existentially, and to release ourselves from having to do it the way other people seem to. Let the world know you on your terms, not theirs. The people around me have grown to realize that, though I am not frequently social, I am always kind, and a great listener when they need one.

3 Likes

For me itā€™s a often question of level. The individual response isnā€™t urgent or important, but maintaining the relationship might be.

Iā€™ve got a handful of relationship-related goals. Let me count the ways:

• mum ā€” for calling my mother more regularly, but probably still less often than you might expect
  • dear ā€” for keeping contact with my dearest friends, the ones who energise me when I remember to interact
  • outreach ā€” for turning the handle on work relationships old and new
  • helpful/arf ā€” for keeping the home fires burning

Most of these are in the style of a UVI goal, where any activity that is in keeping with the spirit of the intention counts for a point, but a flurry of activity probably only counts for one point that day.

:sparkles: one thousand sparklepoints! :sparkles:

These days I find myself acknowledging messages (e.g. :+1: :wave: :sparkles: :joy_cat:) more often than sending contentful replies. And thatā€™s fine.

2 Likes

realize and honor the way we actually tick, emotionally-physically-existentially

I think the way I tick isā€¦ I get mired in chore-style tasks very easily? Like, every time I touch my phone/laptop, I get stuck for 30 minutes. I suppose not everyone is like this.

I did start to react to pplā€™s messages with :+1: more often instead of actually watching the video / whatever. And I did start warning people recently that ā€œhey realistically Iā€™m not going to watch [this]ā€.

Iā€™d love to also be able to do this at work, I suppose. ā€œI wonā€™t participate in [this discussion]ā€. This requires some trust that everything will be fine without my input, I guess.