enbee's entries (a mobile-unfriendly beeminder journal)

time for my very late was-once-quaterly-now-more-thirdly-beeminder journal entry :)

CURRENT PLANS FOR STRUCTURING ENBEE’S ENTRIES

since i mostly ignored this thread for the past half year, i think it’s about time i aspire to make it less mobile-unfriedly (because writing these huuuge posts isn’t only mobile-unfriedly, it’s also writer-unfriendly, which means less, if any, posts will be written). in practice, i’ll try to ramble less and stick to just a few key sections. let’s see how that works out :sweat_smile:

GENERAL NEWS SINCE LAST POST

• i now have a premium subscription (bee plus)! hooray for time based and student discounts!
    • all my goals are auto-ratcheted now; the default is 7 days, a select few have fewer days
  • in mid-september, i made everything except my email goals have only 2 days of post-derail-respite (see also my dedicated post to post-derail-respite: thoughts on post-derail respite)
  • this isn’t really news, but just to make a not of it: my starting pledge, unless otherwise stated, is always $0, and my standard pledge cap is still $5.
  • i don’t have a duolingo subscription anymore, as of today. i am already annoyed, but maybe i’ll prevail, we’ll see!

ARCHIVED GOALS

• /1923 is archived because it’s finished; the semester is over, i have my grade, and the extra-curricular thing i agreed to do for a small fee can’t be completed unless i hear back from the prof, which at this point i doubt will still be happening. (but i already got the money, so no complaints there.)

• /22advents was successfully completed, without even derailing once :)

• /dlspo was created on a whim as a manual do less goal to limit my general skin pickings. i set the original rate at a maximum of 5/day, which in retrospect was way too low. after only one month i archived it, because i didn’t work for a number of reasons. (rate too low, mix of forgetfullness and sometimes intentionally not entering a data point when i should have). maybe i’ll try to work out if i can create a custom goal that displays always the same y-axis for a do-less-goal, and doesn’t steadily climb. (kind of like my gmuns goal looks.) if/when i recreate this, i will certainly set a much much higher starting rate and then over time slowly increase difficulty once i have a good picture of what my norm is.

• /ndu was successfully completed (insofar as that i sent off the application in time and have by now already started the course; not insofar as i’d meant to create a lot of fancy things for the application that i didn’t end up creating at all).

• /noapy was created on the same whim and day as /dlspo, this was a manual do more goal equivalent to /nofpy, to stop picking on the scar on my right arm that originated from a truly small thing (paper cut? idr). archived because the wound had basically healed, and towards the end i was more and more frequently forgetting (“forgetting”?) to enter data points / got increasingly annoyed at my derails on this. going forward, a much better strategy for these goals might be to instead track positive replacement behaviours. (still need to get a fidget ring …)

• /nofpy is the only one of my “no/less [type of] skin picking” goals that was pretty much successfully archived. i still very occasionally pick at the skin of my feet, but it’s not a habit anymore like it was then.

• /phonetransfer was a manual goal to finally transfer all of my apps (over 50 :flushed:) and images from my old phone to my new phone. looking back, i am surprised that i only derailed once on it! i do remember i hated the goal, but i also know i wouldn’t have gotten anything done without it, so in retrospect i very much love the goal :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

CHANGES TO OLD GOALS

• /dj, my autodata duolingo japanese goal, underwent quite a few changes in the last months. the current rate is 150xp per day. my mean delta is currently 211, but i’m happy with the “lower rate” for various reasons (duo is not Wonderful, who knows if i’ll be able to stick with the free version, i have a lot of other apps and resources i want to focus on as well, …).

• /flosses—i have it in my notes that i decreased the pledge cap for this from $10 (?) to $5. it is beyond me why i would have ever set the pledge cap for this goal to more than $5, but anyway. last time i wrote that i’d contemplated increasing the rate from 4/week to 5/week, but i haven’t done that and will probably wait to do that until my dentist tells me i should. (fingers crossed that won’t happen :p)

• /onefoot is auto-ratcheted to only one safe day, and has by now reached its “peak” rate at 10 000 steps/day. i’m not supremely happy with that, but i don’t know how i could sensibly incrase it, so i likely won’t. (if i increase the rate without being more lenient with the auto-ratched i will probably just end up being more lazy than i currently am.) [case and point, some old notes about this goal: “an out-of-town-trip with my flatmate one day resulted in 34 999 steps, which gave me 3 days of buffer that i didn’t manually ratchet down (no subscription yet at the time, so no auto-ratchet). the subsequent days turned out to be much lazier, i didn’t meet my at-the-time-goal of 9 900 steps on any of them. (the immediate days after the trip were actually ok with 7 000 and 9 000 steps, but a few days after that i really ate into my buffer with only 1 200 and 3 600 steps.)”]

NEW GOALS

• /books is a manual goal that makes sure i read at least a little bit ever couple of days. only free-time-reading books count for this. the starting rate for this was 1 page/week, which turned out to be much too conservative very quickly, i’m now at 1 page/day, which pairs nicely with the 1-day auto-ratchet i have set up for this. really really glad my desire to read has been rekindled (taking a whole course on book-making and looking at beautiful books on the internet will do that to you :purple_heart:), and really grateful that beeminder will help me keep up with it! :purple_heart:

• /dk, autodata duolingo goal for korean, equivalent to my /dj goal for duolingo-japanese with 150xp/day, also has all the same settings. (standard 7 days auto-ratchet, standard starting pledge $0, cap at $5.)

• /gmuns (gmail unreads) is my autodata gmail goal for having zero unread emails in my inbox. this was my first goal after i got premium, i think. i set the deadline from my regular 6-a.m.-deadline to 6 p.m., to make sure i’m awake when it approaches.

• /immersion is a manual goal for general language immersion, counting only japanese and korean in preparation for the trip next year. one full song, one full episode, one full movie count as +1. at least 10 minutes of an episode/movie count as +1. listening to music for hours on end counts as +1 (unless it would be japanese and korean music, then it would be +1 for each.) listening to music in the morning and then again in the evening, even if it’s the same language, would count as +2, although that doesn’t really happen. i feel like the data points for this were once public, but they seem to be private now. i doubt anyone would be interested, but i might make them public again.

• /jalup is a manual goal that tracks my jalup app practices. i get a +1 if i do at least 5 successful reviews / learn 5 new cards. in practice, i do more than that each day, but only once, so it’s been in a constant red-to-orange edge-skatey state recently.

• /japjap is my first try at an autodata google docs goal, counting my japanese app practices. my goal is to do 1 additional japanese app practice for an app that doesn’t have a dedicated goal (memrise; i only have a korean memrise goal / kanji study / kanji tree / renshuu). i have too many resources! i can’t afford to make all of them into their own goals. let’s see how this one goes! (i’m especially curious if the urlminder integration will make it feel more, or less, or equally as tedious as my other manually entered language goals.)

• /jkandwrite, named as a pun on “shut up and write”, was also, like /japjap, newly created this very day. (it’s probably a bad idea to create two new goals on the same day, but it’s wednesday, it’s a holiday, a middle-of-the-week-holiday, i was feeling fun and free and optimistic—we’ll see how it goes! XD) this one shall force me to handwrite at least one word/phrase/sentence of japanese and korean (each) every day. i am very hopeful for this goal, because i believe handwriting is good practice, and even more importantly, it’s something i’m incredibly akratic about and thus never end up doing (starting hurdle and all that).

• /kem is a manual goal that tracks my korean memrise practices. also recently incredibly edge-skatey, but since i have yet to derail on this once, that seems fine. [i can practically feel my future self :grimacing::grimacing:ing all over my current ““practice”” of regularly edge-skating on 7-9 goals each day … on the other hand, i believe i get more lazy with orange goals than i do with red ones, at least where language practice is concerned … we’ll see what i’ll have to say about all this the next time!]

• /mailog is another autodata gmail whittle down goal, to whittle down my backlog of emails which was necessary to create so that my /gmuns goal could be born … original backlog: 113 emails, which grew out of my standard 10 for a few months before my vacation in the beginning of july, and then obviously skyrocketed during the vacation. (most of the outstanding mails were luckily patreon or kickstarter notifications that didn’t really require any actions.) this one has a pledge cap of $90. only one email is left, which requires me to open a package i haven’t opened in months, and write an acquaintance i haven’t talked to in years, so we’ll see if $5 will be enough to motivate me to do that, or if it’ll take a higher incentive … (i very much doubt it’ll go up to $90, though!)

• /skritter is my autodata skritter goal for japanese. i only became aware of this app thanks to the beeminder integration, and i’m pretty happy with it. my rate is 10 minutes/day. this is another one of the recently very-edge-skatey-ones …

• /ttmik is a manual goal that tracks how many talk to me in korean video / audio lessons i watch / listen to / review. very edge-skatey, too. rate at 1.5/day was initially meant to mean “1 new thing (+1), 1 review (+0.5, going through a lesson for the second time and making notes of relevant timestamps)”, but recently it became more “+1 new thing; +2 new things; +1 new thing; +2 new things” … probably not the best way i could be beeminding all this …

• /whoatidyflat is a fun name to me, because it abbreviates to “wtf” and i’m a childish kid at heart ;P this is similar, but not fully equivalent, to my /rooc goal mentioned last time. this one was set up with 5 minutes/day, by now increased to 10, auto-ratcheted at 2 safe days. the loooooooong starting buffer was to take into account a “vacation” where i wasn’t staying at my own place.
    creating a goal with a starting buffer so long that after it’s run out you can’t simply delete the goal, because it’s older than 7 days already? great life hack!

WHAT TO BEEMIND NEXT (with no assigned priorities this time, because i didn’t use them for anything, anyway)

• /beeboos: keeping on top of my beeminder bookmarks; as mentioned previously
  • /beest: perfecting my todoist setup; as mentioned previously
  • /finger: fidget ring goal (buying/using) / general replacement-for-skin-picking goal; name is “punny”: fidget ring makes fing, and obviously my fingers are used for skin picking / would have to be used for any replacement activities :p
  • /freg: eating more/consistently fruits and veggies; as mentioned previously
  • /intea: intuitive eating goal/s, like for reading the book and then also tracking my intuitive eating habits; as mentioned previously
  • /intouch: keeping in touch with friends and acquaintances i don’t currently keep in touch with, but want to, and consequently feel worse and worse about not contacting them the longer i don’t contact them …
  • /lettering: using my lettering set; this was in my notes with a potential rate of 1/month; at the moment of writing this, not so sure if it’d be a good/feasible idea
  • /matt: master’s thesis; as mentioned previously
  • /newhew: a newer, improved version of my archived /whew goal; as mentioned previously
  • /poe_m: for continuing to learn poe’s raven by heart; as mentioned previously
  • /redabs: regular data backups; as mentioned previously (new name, though :)
  • /webtoons: catching up on and reducing my webtoon backlog; as mentioned previously
  • /wontime: getting to work on time; as mentioned previously (new name, though :)

MISC THOUGHTS

previously on “enbee’s entries”:

ha!
i guess today’s answer would be: “have a chill enough work and social life that it leaves enough time for beeminder goals and regular procrastination and also don’t have outrageous rates for any beeminder goals”.

also previously on "enbee’s entries:

this still doesn’t have an answer yet. (will it ever?) i still very much struggle with this one. (reading about my potential future webtoons goal on the last post and realising it must have been about a year or so since i was regularly up to date on all my saved webtoons makes me incredibly sad and overwhelmed and pessimistic about my time management. not because catching up with webtoons is the most important thing in my life, but because there’s seemingly a million things like that, that i really really want to do but just don’t do / don’t have the time for / don’t know how and where i could fit them into my days …)

what i’m also very much still trying to figure out: how to make myself create important / “higher priority” goals first/in time? how to measure a goal’s priority in the first place? how to know which goals i should really create, when, and how often?
how could i ever have it all: all the beeminder goals i want to work on, all the beeminder goals i know i need to work on, and enough time for my non-beeminder life?
anyway, to end all this on a lighter note … :

MARA EPILOGUE!

1 Like