Feature Request: Show pledge in local currency

So where I’m from, I don’t pay $10 for my second level pledge. I pay about $15-16. My $30 derail costs me nearly $50! Perfect Beeminder should reliably tell me the real financial cost (in terms that are meaningful to me) of not doing what I said I would do yesterday. Minimal mental gymnastics required.

I’m not sure how many users this affects. It’s of no consequence if you intend to never derail -I used to live in this camp- but its of huge consequence if you want to discover your motivation point and use Beeminder the way it was designed.

I’m a little bit scared to keep going with goals with higher pledges, not necessarily because of the pledge level but because of how warped my automatic perception of the pledge is.

6 Likes

Oh I really need this too. I signed up when the Canadian dollar was on par with the American dollar, so $5 was $5 and so on. But the Canadian dollar has gone down the gutter since then because of oil prices, and so now $5 is closer to $8, and $10 is $16 etc. and I’m still shocked at the Beeminder fees every time I open my bill.

At face value, my brain still thinks $10 in Beeminder means $10 Canadian. My bank unfortunately does not agree.

4 Likes

Sounds like an easy #UVI to implement, as long as people agree on a disclaimer that the exact price your bank will end up charging will not be exactly the same.
Then again it will also be a bit strange to show in the chart “26.91€” with huge numbers instead of “$30”…

Perhaps a better option would be to allow people to round up to their local currency. E.g.
5€, 10€, 30€…

4 Likes

Interestingly, I have the opposite problem; USD doesn’t amount to very much in GBP, so it takes longer to build up to locally-relevant pledge amounts.

2 Likes

So I guess that as I’m living in an economy whose local currency is melting down at a fairly predictable pace, this relatively simple (?) UVI would give me easy access to an extra (and potentially huge) incentive.

3 Likes