"filled out your other goals" goal

Hi folks!

I notice quite a few people have a “entered data” goal. I started whipping up a script for doing this automatically, for me.

At first, I was saying that all autodata goals would be ignored, and all non-autodata goals would be required to have daily input (even if it’s zeros or whatever), but some of the autodata goals are ones that I actually have to poke some other datasource…

So for me, I think a good compromise is to just have a list of goals to ignore for data, and a list to watch, and then a goal to drop a datapoint into when you have all the data in for today/yesterday.

I usually share stuff like this, and if enough people ask, I could even put this up on a little website so folks who don’t want to run Python scripts in the terminal can still get this.

Thoughts? Better criteria for which goals need data? Let me know.

3 Likes

Ooh, this kind of metaminding is actually something I’ve wanted for a long time. I was thinking of it like Beeminder itself as one of our autodata integrations:

http://expost.padm.us/metamind

Would be really great to get people guineapigging this with a 3rd-party tool first!

1 Like

This is very similar to something I was brainstorming the other night.

I was thinking about how to build an automated goal which, each week, randomly selects a non-meta goal as the “challenge” goal for that week. Then you have to make some progress on that goal this week.

I think I could implement my idea using your idea, if you make it easy to programmatically edit the config file (that is, my bot would edit the config to consist of a single goal each week).

3 Likes