Focusmate

Hmmm. Now that Focusmate have introduced 25 min sessions as well as the 50 minutes they previously had, that means that my Focusmate-tracking graph got complicated: if I do a 25 minute session, is that still a 1, or is it 0.5? Or nothing at all?

Argument for 1: the goal is not about the AMOUNT of focused time, but about using Focusmate to get tasks done. The best length of time for some tasks is 25 minutes, so even a 25 minute session = 1. The necessary focus was had.

Argument for 0.5: A 25-minute session is half the amount of focused time.

Argument for 0: When I set up the goal, only 50-minute sessions were possible. Counting 25-minute sessions toward that goal would be counter to my original intent.

It boils down to whether I made the goal intended for “a Focusmate session” to be the unit, no matter how long that session is, or whether I intended it to be a proxy for “50 minutes of focused time”. The unit is “Focusmate sessions”, not “50-minute sessions”, and I would not consider the goal complete if I did 50 minutes of focused work without Focusmate, so I’m leaning toward a 25-minute session still being a 1.

What do you think? Gut feelings?

Do the new 25-min sessions on Focusmate count as 0, 0.5 or 1 for my Beeminder goal where the units are “Focusmate sessions”?

0 voters

1 Like