Discord server?

I’ve started using Discord to hang out with an old friend, and it made me think it might be super cool to have a Beeminder community discord we could use to hang out. If I created one, would you be interested?

For those not familiar, here’s my newbie description: Discord is a service kind of like Slack that’s very popular with gamers as I understand. It lets you set up servers which you can think of as communities. You can chat one-on-one or with everyone in the server. It also has the ability to do group voice chat that automatically mutes everyone except when they are talking.

• Yes! I would love to hang out in a Beeminder Discord server.
  • Sounds cool, not sure I’d really hang out, though.
  • I am neutral.
  • For some reason I don’t want this to exist at all, probably because I hate fun. >:(
  • I like the idea, but you really shouldn’t use Discord.

0 voters

2 Likes

Discord has been slowly transitioning from a gaming-centric service to a much more universal one. Their website emphasizes how you can use it for anything from local clubs to global communities. Nearly every product/service I use has an official server now, and it seems to becoming more of a communication default than Slack.

My point being that a Beeminder discord server would be great! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for offering to set this up, Narthur!

Crazy idea: What if to be in the Discord you had to have a Beeminder graph for amount of time or number of messages sent in it? Either a do-more goal if you wanted to commit to staying involved, or a do-less goal if you were worried about getting sucked in and having it take up too much time.

2 Likes

Interesting idea.

Could it lead to more pointless or spammy messages than you’d really want to have there, for people facing a do-more beemergency? (Lookit me being the pessimistic one; do ignore me if you wish. :smile:)
:

3 Likes

You could build an integration for a do-more goal to track your number of likes. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Ok, lots of ways it could go horribly wrong but I still think it would be pretty amazing. What if it were do-less only (you’d pick your max amount of Discording when you signed up) and it just automatically kicked you out before you derailed?

2 Likes

Spoken like a true dev! Here’s my suggestion: YAGNI :wink:

2 Likes

What if we just had automated swag that showed the current rate for the person’s discord goal? Does discord have swag? Is that even the right term?

2 Likes

Discord does have a really robust API (docs) that people use to make bots do all sorts of things. I haven’t really looked into it myself but I think it’d be possible with a Beeminder integration.

3 Likes

@narthur It has flairs, which could operate as groups as special as giving special permissions, channel access, et cetera, or just to flair the person as special. Anything more swag-like is non-free. A bot could almost definitely add/remove flairs according to Beeminder APIs. Do I know how? No. But I’ve seen them do similarly complicated things, so I’m sure it’s possible.

1 Like