- I went on vacation and felt completely relaxed and unplugged from life. Grateful for tranquil moments reading by the ocean.
- So much quality time with my sister on vacation. I’m thankful to have such a mature, thoughtful, passionate, fashionable, hilarious person as my guaranteed best friend.
- Parents have been blessing me with the best pictures of our cats recently. If only there were better ways to show the cats how much I love them long-distance!
- My neighbors who started Street Gym, without which I would not have had that “It’s 9 am and I’ve already exercised” feeling
- The farmers’ market workers who get up early on a Sunday so I can buy great vegetables
- The great latte I had this morning
- Sugar cane! I’m visiting a friend who has bought some so we’re chewing on strips of it.
- We have dried banana too. It’s not crispy-dried so it’s chewy and full of banana flavour, which works REALLY well. So nice.
- I volunteered for a project at work in team chat exactly 12 seconds before my manager sent me a private chat to ask me if I’d be willing to do it, so I get the same amount of work I would have had but with brownie points for volunteering.
- Woke up naturally.
- Remarkably light inbox this morning.
- Planning how to get round the TBR choice problem mentioned in the tumblr post I linked before (this one).
- City buses and bus drivers! During the course of doing an errand this morning, I basically got a beautiful tour of the city I’m visiting for £2, and the drivers were so helpful.
- Virtual conferences and Zoom for making it possible to attend a machine learning conference freely available to people around the world, even while I was on the bus.
- Thanks Nicky for sharing that tumblr post on TBRs! It got me thinking about ways I make that problem worse for myself, and strategies I currently use and could add in to make it less bad. I’m feeling like Beeminder goals are overall good, although I’m wondering if having goals for future reading on the dashboard every day creates additional “not chosen” moments. I’m pondering how I can use random selections from my TBR and how readathons/challenges play into this for me. Curious to hear others’ reactions but don’t want to turn the Gratitude journal into a psychology of reading thread.
I made a new thread! Reading pile akrasia
- Jeremy set up a desk with an external monitor for me to use my laptop on, and then moved it for me so that it’s next to a window that has a view of the garden.
- Cheese and biscuits for a morning snack.
- I found a hot water bottle that had been missing for months.
- I’ve planned today such that I can fit a bath in! Which should be very nice for my slightly achy back.
- Getting a fresh start with stuff. (In this case, with Storygraph. It’s not quite the same as tracking reading on Goodreads, since there’s less of a community as far as I can tell? But I have a reading community on Litsy, what I want is recommendations and access to reviews, mostly.)
- It’s warm during the day but quite cool at night.
- I have a car that’s always available for my use
- The air quality is good enough for me to go ride
- A favorite camping spot has remained just outside a forest fire
perimeter for the last few days
- My travel test result came back and I’m reassuringly COVID negative, as expected.
- Sleeper trains are neat and gave me an extra evening in Scotland!
- Returning to a favourite fandom and finding it filled with tons of new fanfics! I’m not quite sure the cause of this revival for a show that hasn’t aired in 10 years but it sure brought me a lot of joy today.
- Dates and cheese. Sultanas and butter. Both pairings go so well together.
- My kitchen window looks out into my garden and the park behind my house. From the right angle I can see nothing but trees.
- I was able to take most of the day off work to rest because I have a sore neck that is better when I’m lying down.
- My dad’s not the world’s most emotionally intelligent person, but today he texted me to check if I was okay after I rang him upset about something last night.
- I went for a walk quite early this morning (8:45am – early for me, anyway!) and it was still cool out, so it was very nice.
- It’d a bright sunny day without being too warm.
- Thanks for past donors & voters, I got to experience the beauty of
walking through a sunlit redwood forest
- I had my fastest time in 3 years riding up a local hill. My efforts at
getting my fitness back are paying off
- My daughter has the opportunity to take keyboard at school
- Walking in Redwood forests is one of my most pleasant memories from my trips to the USA.
- Jeremy made pizza for lunch.
- I just caught and released an insect with… pretty much no terror at all. Definitely “ugh, ugh, please don’t be a stinging sort of fella”, and definitely “nope, my lad, not in here”, but not “oh my god I am going to die just knowing it is briefly in the building with me”. So, yay for my recently-found ability to cope.
- Started reading a book I’ve meant to read for a while, and immediately got sucked in.
- Watching Lisa’s reactions as they read the Kate Daniels books.
My apologies, was away for a while.
- Award for August New User of the Month! And this particular thread was the reason to regularly visit this forum (Sort of a gratitude inception )
- Home cooked meals back to back. Eating healthy more often
- Libraries are opening now! Saw one today for a short while.
- the Kale I got from the farmer’s market is particularly good
- My friend took me to Costco & I have a few treats that weren’t as
expensive as they’d otherwise be
- I got to see a big redwood tree that was saved from logging
- Clover flowers. I love their scent.
- The fridge is full of food from a supermarket delivery.
- There are new episodes of Lucifer.
- The weather is cooling down again.
- Being able to laugh off unfounded criticism.
- Pleasantly tired after a nice walk.
- My daughter got to school safely
- My fridge has a lot of nutritious options
- My friend is up for co-working