Gratitude journaling together

1. Jeremy made a potato frittata.
  2. I slept well last night.
  3. A tree in my garden that I thought might be dying from lack of water has new leaves.
1 Like
  1. Lunch and shopping with a friend I haven’t seen for months.
  2. One of the ringtail possums who visits us has a new baby.
  3. Another night of good sleep!
  1. Today I learned about holographic tomography, which is a way of being able to see microscopic living cells, instead of needing to fix, dehydrate, embed and stain cells.
  2. Dad got us chocolate advent calendars, as usual, and brought them over today.
  3. My dad is also a softie and brought new toys for the rabbits.
  1. Had enough sleep
  2. Recalled to feel grateful again
  3. Snow not melting
1 Like
  1. Mangoes.
  2. I’m housesitting for two days in a nice house. It’s like a mini holiday.
  3. Stephen Fry’s “Troy” audio book, which I’ve now finished. I didn’t like it as much as Mythos and Heroes I think because a large part of it was of course just about who killed whom (:crossed_swords: :roll_eyes:) but it was good! Cassandra was done well. She would scream out her prophecies in horror whenever something particularly doom-filled was being discussed by the other Trojans and they would keep on with their conversation as if she hadn’t said a word. Sad but also amusing. I am hopeful that Stephen will do The Odyssey next.
  1. I posted my holiday wishlist on Dreamwidth as usual and have had some lovely responses already.
  2. When my brain starts acting up and telling me I’m not doing enough, I seem to be able (at the moment) to tell it to sod off and that I’m doing plenty.
  3. Enjoyed my reread of the first two Expanse books.
  1. A delicious home-cooked pasta meal.
  1. A long sleep in, interspersed with reading.
  2. While walking in the park, I met a beekeeper who relocates wild bee colonies for the city council. We had a nice chat and then he gave me some of his honey.
  3. Soy beans with soy sauce - astonishingly tasty.
  1. Wales have ended their losing streak.
  2. Justin Tipuric, Wales captain during the game against Georgia, had a potentially awful injury and it was not nearly as bad as it could have been.
  3. We have the makings of a special treat, a brownie mug cake. It gets deliciously chewy if you let it cool a little.
  1. It’s now easy for me to have a shower in less than three minutes.
  2. IGA (a group of independently-owned supermarkets) has started doing online shopping.
  3. The Mandalorian
  1. A long walk last night with Jeremy.
  2. It was cold enough this morning that the cat snuggled under the sheet with me.
  3. A native tree outside our back door has flowers so birds will soon be coming to eat the nectar.
  1. Fresh sheets on the bed.
  2. Fun idea for a Habitica challenge.
  3. Getting sleepy at the right time.
  1. Reading a book I used to love, more grown-up and able to appreciate the references. (Fire & Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones.)
  2. Looked at some of my wedding pictures again and yep, we were cute, and how was that four years ago already?
  3. Ginger cake! (Who loves ginger a whole lot? I love ginger a whole lot.)
1 Like
  1. Garlic. SO nice. (Ginger is pretty good too.)
  2. A kookaburra was sitting on a fence yesterday evening as I walked past.
  3. Jeremy is doing really well at growing plants for food for native animals.
  1. I adore the fact that there is so much in biology we don’t yet understand. Phooey to the idea that all science is either physics or stamp collecting; if this be stamp collecting, stamps are pretty darn exciting.
  2. We don’t understand how carrier proteins work! They change shape, but how? “Proteins can change shape when their hydrogen bonds are affected, but this may not fully explain this mechanism.”
  3. Now I understand the mechanism that causes glycosuria. Glucose is filtered by the kidneys, and then needs to be reabsorbed by carrier proteins. There’s a finite number of those, so it doesn’t matter how high the concentration gradient is, they can only work so fast. After a certain point, they’re fully saturated and glucose is just lost with the waste products that aren’t taken back up. I love understanding things!
1 Like
  1. Butcherbirds singing in the trees next to me while I hung the laundry.
  2. I have made myself an earring from a phone’s charger board that no longer works (like this one). It is novel and shiny!
  3. The Humbug Android game. It is challenging but not impossible, has the cutest insects and spiders, and is a lot of fun.
1 Like
  1. Marzipan.
  2. Feeding worms to a lizard in my garden.
  3. My cat demanding my attention. She loves cuddles.
2 Likes
  1. I saw a female scrub turkey laying eggs in Caesar’s mound behind our back stairs! I’ve never seen eggs actually being laid before.
  2. I had a cute dream: it was winter, fiercely cold, and I had to keep warm by snuggling up to some large, furry, white snow monsters. XD
  3. I donate to a wildlife charity and yesterday one of the executives was in my area so we met for a cup of tea and a snack at a local cafe and had a nice chat about how their protection efforts are going (there’s definitely hope!)
1 Like
  1. This article about Cain’s Jawbone, a literary puzzle. It makes me so curious!
  2. My treadmill was delivered. Help hold me to using it!
  3. Wales v England today. We’re most likely going to lose; England are in good form, and we’re not. But we sometimes pull it out of the hat for this game, and “as long as we beat the English” is practically our motto.

I can’t help but pipe up to say: this is fascinating! But I haven’t the faintest idea where they got the “32 million” number from. The number of different ways to put 100 pages in a certain order is actually 100! = 100 \cdot 99 \cdot 98 \cdots 1 (100 factorial), which is a number with 158 digits. Whereas 32 million has only a measly seven digits.