Gratitude journaling together

1. Playing around with trying to sing Good King Wenceslas, and making my voice sound different for both King Wenceslas and the page. As a soprano, it’s not going well (from the lowest I can get in my range for King Wenceslas, I can’t go up high enough to do the page)… but I’m having fun.
  2. My wife bought me an AM/PM weekly pillbox to solve my problems with not knowing what meds/supplements to take when. :joy:
  3. There’s going to be a Great British Sewing Bee Christmas special!
  1. One of my new favourite authors, K.J. Charles, has her book an Unseen Attraction in Oprah magazine’s best historical romance list (tweet). That has to be great publicity!
  2. Lots of rain yesterday. Caesar, our boy scrub turkey, was sheltering under the house. :slight_smile:
  3. I saw a scrub turkey chick in the garden today! They’re hatching already! They’re adorable at that age, and rare to see.
  4. I was in a shopping centre’s food court yesterday and there was a crow on the rafters above us, cawing. I like crows.
  5. After he flew out, there was a swallow, which I haven’t seen in Brisbane for years. Apparently, they all moved to shopping centres. :slight_smile:
  6. Marzipan. It’s one of my favourite sweets.
1 Like

Still pleased with myself about disseminating K.J. Charles love all over the world. I want to reread Band Sinister… And the whole series with An Unseen Attraction.

(Actually I’d kind of like to reread the Society of Gentlemen ones, which are possibly some of her best, but I only read them this year. I am so sad I cannot get them in paperback – they weren’t self-published, and the publisher won’t produce physical copies. Gah.)

They can pick up all the best deals there! :smiley:

1 Like
  1. Finished two modules of cell biology today! Actually tempted to do the last one so I can check off the whole cell biology section on my list… it’ll get me a lot of gold on Habitica!
  2. I’ve given in and replaced my 4mm hook, so I can finally get back to work on my 2019 ‘bookblanket’… and a commission I’ve owed @alys for… two years…? :see_no_evil:
  3. I’m really enjoying Meteorite: The Stones From Outer Space That Made Our World by Tim Gregory. My mother knows his mother (? I think that’s the connection), so she read it and then handed it on to me. Tim Gregory writes really well, in a way that expresses his fascination and joy about the subject. Geology and cosmochemistry are far from my thing, but he makes me excited to read.
1 Like

:smiley: You’ve had important things to do!

1. Disenchantment, a series on Netflix from two years ago that I’ve just been reminded of. :smiley: It’s fun! I love the main character, an alcoholic princess, and the adorable little demon, Luci.
  2. The tree I was worried about a while back is now AMAZINGLY lush.
  3. The scrub turkeys are STILL laying eggs in the mound, even though at least one has hatched. I didn’t realise until recently how long the breeding season is.
  1. New work laptop!
  2. A Christmas present for my wife arrived that has me giggling with how perfect it is.
  3. Tearing through the Invisible Library books by Genevieve Cogman.
1 Like
  1. Watching Caesar make what appears to be a solid attempt to bury a female scrub turkey in his mound as she tries to dig a hole for her eggs.
  2. Jeremy making an omlette for my breakfast.
  3. My job allowing me to start work late each morning.
  1. Watching old episodes of Great British Sewing Bee when I’m tired and need comfort.
  2. I already showered so I can just crawl into bed soon.
  3. My mother will be over tomorrow to dig up the little rose that’s not doing very well in our garden. She’s hoping to pot it and save it.
  1. Our cat.
  1. Therapy is over!
  2. …More therapy will follow!
  3. I got two topics done today which is ahead of my study plan, so I’m pleased with that.
1 Like
  1. I could hear rain on the roof last night as I slept.
  2. Breakfast with Jeremy at the local cafe.
  3. Lamb chops.
1 Like
  1. I am very grateful for the existence of the MAC! That is, the “membrane attack complex”. It’s formed via a cascade reaction called the “complement cascade”, during the immune response to a pathogen. Various proteins in that cascade catalyse each other and join together to form this attack complex… which literally punctures a hole in the membrane of a bacterium by forming a pore which lets ions and water through the membrane. The cell then bursts! And that’s our innate immune response, the one that most of us are just born with – we think a lot about our acquired immune responses, which can be harnessed via vaccines… but you’d really know about it if your complement cascade didn’t work, too!
  2. I love that I can text my mum about the stuff I’m learning and she’s happy to support me by talking things over or just letting me marvel about how wonderful I think biology is.
  3. Lali (from Portal Bookshop) delivered me a box of books for Christmas, since neither they nor I trust the Royal Mail right now. It was lovely to see them, I have missed going to their bookshop and chatting to them so much.
1 Like
  1. There’s been rain on and off all weekend, ranging from gentle to heavy. I find that relaxing.
  2. Hilda season 2 will be on Netflix soon. I loved season 1 for its imaginative fantasy theme and because there were no real bad guys; the monsters and people who seemed bad at first were found to be merely protecting themselves or were misunderstanding a situation. That gave the series a pleasant charm.
  1. Made myself go on the treadmill because I have a Beeminder goal for it, and I’m glad I did it.
  2. Work goes much more smoothly on the new laptop.
  3. Getting started on Genevieve Cogman’s The Secret Chapter. Too much fun.
  1. I was at the beach this morning for high tide. After a weekend of heavy rain and winds, the ocean was full and the waves were splashing up onto the shore. I got soaked and it was glorious.
1 Like
  1. Got lots of tidying done.
  2. Somehow managed all my dailies on Habitica and most of my Beeminder goals, despite a rough day.
  3. Hopefully tomorrow the electrician will come and sort eveeeerything out.
  1. Some sun today after a few days of rain. I still love the rain but sun was nice for a change.
  2. My garden smells like a rainforest.
  3. I saw a scrub turkey chick again, this one a few days old, foraging in the garden.
  1. A fun day at work in the office with three of my workmates.
  2. Jeremy spent the day tidying and reorganising one of our rooms and it is so much better now.
  1. Our electrician is super understanding about us not wanting him to come back again before Christmas.
  2. Replaying Pyre, now I’ve exhausted most of the possibilities of Hades. I loved Pyre.
  3. Various people have put up most heroically with my distressed whining about a stuff-up that means I will (probably) not be getting more therapy.
  1. IKEA’s gingerbread Höme thing made me laugh.
  2. Today is finally a normal workday again after electrician upheaval.
  3. Had a tiny bit of a lie-in since Lisa’s on the late shift.