I don't understand the email reminder

Just received my first reminder and I don’t understand it!

“Format: Day of month SPACE today’s number SPACE optional comment in quotes”

I understand day of month and comment in quotes but what does “today’s number” mean?

Do I get the prize for “Most Stupid Question Ever Asked” prize?

So glad I haven’t entered cc details yet - I plan to but really want to understand what I’m doing first

1 Like

Yep, I think I get it - I don’t have to answer, just update my goal!! Only answer if I’m making excuses.

Thought it was a stupid question

Still don’t understand “Today’s number” though

True! It’s the prompt to enter data when you’re getting close to the edge. But there’s more…

Once upon a time, the only way to update your goal was by email. So if you reply to that email with a message that looks like:

^ 1 "I did the thing. Yay me!"

then it’ll add a 1 to your goal for today, with that comment.

(The ^ for us is a special ‘day of month’ that always means ‘today’, and in this case the 1 is ‘today’s number’, i.e. the value of the datapoint.)

PS: if things ever go horribly wrong because of confusion rather than through genuine not-doing, then even if you’ve entered a cc we’ll put things right. Our ideal is for the motivation that Beeminder provided up until the derailment was worth more than the amount paid.

PPS: any time that you derail, we’ll send another email to check whether it’s really true. That’s the one for excuses and genuinely unavoidable reasons.

It’s super valuable to have you here asking questions with your newbee hat on. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks Philip, that’s really helpful.

I will be committing next week, I’m hoping this will be the answer to my procrastination issues.

On a side note, recently came across this quote, which you may well have heard of - it’s incredibly appropriate for most people on here :slight_smile:

pro-cras-ti-na-tion |prəˌkrastəˈnāSHən, prō-|noun
The action of ruining your own life for no apparent reason

From the website waitbutwhy.com

2 Likes

Lindaj,

You can also update your goal by replying to the reminder email. By
"today’s number" they mean the new datapoint for today.

Adam Wolf

2 Likes