IFTTT Channel is LIVE!!

Yeah, I think the pedometer goal is the only one that regularly has two eep days in a row. Most of my other eep items tend to be more of the “do this 3 times a week” sort, so I get at least a day of breathing room in between beemergencies.

1 Like

Lemme know if the duplicates continue, because I think it should be fixed now (and I’m not actively using this trigger myself).

Also, have you beeminded less eep days in the past? Or is this your first foray? I’m super keen to hear a followup in another two to three weeks to hear how it’s working!

B

2 Likes

I haven’t tried beeminding eep days before, but it seemed such a natural use of the IFTTT functionality that I thought I’d give it a try. I’m initially going with a fairly generous rate just to gather some data on how often am I skirting the edge of the road.

1 Like

I’m finally making use of at least one of my spreadsheet logging IFTTT recipes and paying enough attention to the log to zero in on the oddities that I have suspected for a while.The recipe fires every time data is added to a specific Beeminder goal and sometimes datapoints are added to my spreadsheet multiple times. Each datapoint should be added to the bottom of the spreadsheet, thus data should appear in date order.

A particular datapoint for the 16th June got added again yesterday. I checked back to see how many times this one has cropped up and I found it another two times. The first instance - presumably logged correctly on the 16th - is surrounding by data from April! Sure enough, these April data have also been repetitively logged.

2 Likes

@peppertoni I may have found the bug here, but can you tell me which goal you’re logging where the duplicates are showing up? It’ll help me verify my theory. (you can email to support if you don’t want to advertise in the public forum, of course!)

Thanks!!

1 Like

It’s this goal. Data come from this goal as well but they don’t seem to duplicate.

1 Like

Another duplicate data point has been logged within the last 24 hours. Same goal and this data point is from May.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing me to the offending goal! I’ve just fixed the code that was messing this up, so let me know if you see any more duplicates from here on out!

4 Likes

Not sure why but the goal doesn’t seem to be triggering any logs now.

EDIT: I’ve disabled and re-enabled the recipe and it is working again now.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any duplicates lately but I have been having the opposite problem where some added goal data doesn’t seem to trigger the recipe.

I’m often adding data to this goal: https://www.beeminder.com/peppertoni/goals/gameengine via email and I’m pretty sure the last five data points haven’t fired the recipe to log them on a spreadsheet. I’m certain that the last three haven’t.

1 Like

@Bee I’m still having problems with this failing to trigger. IFTTT reckons the recipe that logs this goal’s data was last run on September 26. Guess that means it’s missed all my October data!

I’m going to try turning it off and on again but I’d really like this to just work. I’m about to have a lot more data running through this goal and it will all be in vain if it doesn’t trigger IFTTT.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I don’t quite understand the parameters of the problem yet. I’m going to need more specifics. Which goal(s?) is involved and how exactly are the recipes set up (triggering on what, action to what), and what do you expect them to do that’s not happening?

The main issue is with this goal. When new data arrive (Datapoint added to a specific goal) it is supposed to log it in a spreadsheet via IFTTT, which is connected to google spreadsheet. When I deactivate and reactivate the recipe it works for a little while (triggers as expected and logs the data in the spreadsheet) and then it just stops. The goal receives data from a variety of sources (email, IFTTT, manual entry) but the failure to trigger doesn’t seem to be related to where the data come from.

I just tried manually entering data and manually “checking” the recipe on the IFTTT website and the recipe triggered successfully. All the data that were entered on the 8th, however, have not triggered the recipe and were not logged. IFTTT showed that the recipe was last run 6 days ago, not 2 days ago, when the most recent data arrived. I tried manually checking the recipe prior to entering the test data for today and this did not make the data from the 8th trigger the recipe.

The issue is affecting other goals as well. I have a collection of tag time goals that are supposed to be pushing their data through IFTTT to the above goal. These ones are Beeminder to Beeminder IFTTT recipes and they are failing to trigger when new data are added.

In summary, the IFTTT trigger ‘Datapoint added to a specific goal’ does not trigger when new datapoints are added. I don’t think it is working reliably on any goal that is feeding into it.

1 Like

I figured out a thing! Yay!

The way I was doing this if you have multiple triggers on the one goal, whichever one of them fired first would be the only one to see new datapoints – I was storing one timestamp for “last time ifttt triggers checked this” and then sending any changes since then.

So now I’ve updated it so that there’s one timestamp per trigger… but let me know if this “multiple triggers” thing doesn’t plausibly explain your problem, or if you’re still seeing it!

4 Likes

Awesome, that’s improved things… But we’re not quite there yet…

I’ve tested it by answering a tagtime ping with all my tags. This sends ping data to several goals which trigger Ifttt to pass that data (modified by the PROD macro :smile: ) to the central goal called gameengine. This part is working fine now. Now I want all the datapoints sent to gameengine to trigger the IFTTT recipe that logs them in a spreadsheet. This recipe has not triggered. I’ve also entered some manual data to that goal and the recipe still hasn’t triggered. I can’t think why that particular goal would be different to the others, aside from the fact that it is receiving more data, some has already been through the IFTTT system and it receives data from a variety of sources.

I’m going to try recreating the recipe in case that helps.

1 Like

Ah, looks like it might not be your fault. I’ve found these in the logs. I’ll try tweaking Google Drive.

FYI, I also found these a bit further down.

TESTING UPDATE: Things are mostly looking good and data are making it to the spreadsheet. I did the tagtime tag everything test which sends 16 datapoints through IFTTT. 16 made it to gameengine. Only 12 made it to the spreadsheet. I’ve waited 30 minutes in case it just missed them on a periodic check for new data. Nope. I dove into the logs again and see that the problem is that blasted Google Drive Action Error, which seems to be occurring because Google Drive is not remembering to grant IFTTT permissions. I’ve emailed IFTTT about this so we’ll see how we go.

@bee is there any way for the Beeminder end to check that the recipe successfully completed and mark it as not yet checked by IFTTT if it fails?

1 Like

I can not mark the update time if we run into an error, but I don’t know about anything that happens on IFTTT’s end once we respond with the new data, so I don’t see a way to help, unfortunately…

Yeah, thought that might have been the case. Anyhow, it seems to all be working now, which I am tentatively delighted about!

Thanks Bee!

2 Likes

Would it be possible to get a trigger that fires on derail?

2 Likes