Indecision journaling together

i still need to decide that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

no, just kidding, i just decided that the existence of this thread is a sign to gather input from people, if anyone has any thoughts to share about this firstest-of-world-problems.

decision to be made:

• i will travel to asia with my best friend next year, for 3 weeks. we’ll definitely go to japan for at least 2 weeks. maybe we will also go to south korea for a few days. that decision is basically up to me.
  • i know that both options would be amazing. i know that a japan-only-trip would be as amazing as a south-korea-and-japan-trip. there’s really no wrong decision here! (which makes it so difficult :p)

problems/thoughts:

• i’m interested in both countries, and in both languages.
  • i already know a littlest bit of japanese. (i can read all kana, at least, and do relatively well on duolingo sometimes :p) i don’t even know the korean alphabet yet.
  • if we decide to go to both countries, i’d want to at least learn the korean alphabet and start learning some basics, (words, phrases, grammar, etc.). that’s obviously quite a bit of time i’d need to invest that would be preventing me from improving my japanese further.
  • (the difference would probably be negligible, though. it’s not like if i focused only on japanese, i’d reach a significantly higher level of understanding than if i’d also take some time “away” from japanese learning to focus on korean as well.)

there’s other arguments to be made, of course, but i think for me the core question really boils down to this language dilemma. also i tried my best to keep this post much shorter than my usual ramblings, for various reasons. :p

1 Like