iOS App Update

Was the removal of the timer from the latest version of the iOS app deliberate? If not could I have it back please!

I’m guessing the “removal of all routes from the app to beeminder.com” is something to do with Apple’s T&Cs and not Beeminder’s choice, but not being able to access any details of my goals other than the last few datapoints is already frustrating me.

1 Like

Sounds horrible (especially the latter part)… Does that mean you can no longer reach the goal page from the app?

2 Likes

I used the goal link a lot from the app, like when I needed to refresh a toggl goal or update a commitment. Not having that is a big loss.

2 Likes

Just adding that this has to be seen in the context of Will Apple kick Beeminder off the App Store? | Manifold.

2 Likes

Today’s weekly beemail had more context on this, but:

• The timer removal is just a bug I didn’t notice in a rush to resolve App Store policy issues and make sure the app stayed available. It will be back soon.*
  • Link to goal is a bit less clear, as Apple’s rules here are not clearly explained, or always consistently applied. We’re optimistic we’ll be able to bring it back.
  • This is a great time to add all your use cases for the goal link though - perhaps we can add some of these as first class app features.

*Not committing to a precise timeline here as this all went down at a very inconvenient with respect to other life commitments.

6 Likes

That was my guess as to what happened, I’ll look forward to it’s return rather than rejigging my workflows, thank you!

• viewing more data than the app shows (at least 25 or whatever a page on the web is but ability to get all as you can on the web would be a bonus)
  • editing past data. This really feels like something where an app ought to be easier than the website but the app’s rather painful. E.g. “1 Click data row to edit, 2 click date, 3 click date field that appears, 4 change data on calendar pop up, 5 click somewhere else to dismiss calendar, 6 click update button”. Would be nice if that could condense to “1 click data to edit, 2 change date on calendar pop up, 3 click save or cancel” and similar for editing data.
  • viewing the commitment dial (and changing it would be nice too)
  • viewing the “amounts due by day” from the statistics tab.
  • viewing the “take a break” section from the stop/pause tab (and changing it would be nice too)

And a feature request while I’m here

• ability to add a comment when you save a timer datapoint rather than always having to go back and edit the “automatically entered from iOS” comment.

No problem, your efforts to maintain the iOS app are very much appreciated! :bouquet:

9 Likes

There is now a beta TestFlight build which restores the timer.

You can join the beta program with this link: Join the Beeminder beta - TestFlight - Apple

3 Likes

I’m missing the link to the goal page too–i’d like to be able to check my fine print on some goals when adding data manually

4 Likes

Now I’ve got it back on the beta app :blush:

1 Like

It’s back in version 6.5, nice
Although, now that it’s gone and come back, using the iOS “share” icon to open the website feels weird

3 Likes

And if we’re doing requests, could we create a bmndr.com/meta goal to push a new version to testflight at least every 90 days (or whatever the expiry is)? It’s always slightly awkward to delete and reinstall (in either direction).

1 Like

could we create a meta – dashboard – beeminder goal to push a new version to testflight at least every 90 days

That’s not something I can commit to. We could get someone else from BeeHQ set up with the ability to push releases if they wanted to.

3 Likes