Beeminder Forum

marcmarti's Beeminder Journal

Hi everyone,

I have seen quite Beeminder Journal’s already and I think that those are quite a good idea to make one review their one goals as well as showing other people of this community some of their strategies. So, I am doing this, also!

Personal introduction: My name is Marc, a college student living in Barcelona, studying Diet and Nutrition (senior year, already!), working at Starbucks, having a bunch of friends, playing music from time to time and in love with one of my favourite cities, Budapest. I am quite good at working and planning sometimes but one of my problems in life is too much overthinking and not enjoying life as much as I should (gotta not take everything that much seriously!).

Brief introduction of my goals:

• /fruittrial: tracks the amount of fruit pieces I am eating every day, trying to have 2,5 a day. The one that is more difficult for me, but the one I also gotta do the most. Will last till the end of this month, and then we will see (that’s why it is a trial).
  • /mroutinetrial: tracks my small morning routine for the period of exams (trial period, also).
  • /youbetterstudy: tracks the amount of hours I study every day during the exam period. Average should be 3h a day. Has been quite good and gotta be, because after I failed in /study; I am betting a lot of money here. Luckily (and if all exams go well, it will end in about a week).
  • /blog: tracks the amount of blog posts I do in my personal blog. Also, will end in a few days.
  • /cvi: tracks the amount of tiny progress that I do in a personal project. It is the same concept for Beeminder’s UVIs, which I like.
  • /fpp: started yesterday, is tracking a personal project which I do not want to fail.

That’s pretty much all for now. I had heard about Beeminder (and even used) maybe a year ago or two, but now I feel that I am truly using it properly. I am willing to learn much more and have fun in the process.

Good luck to everyone and thanks for reading :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I finished /blog today with only one derailment. Could have done better but I am happy how I handled and maybe I will start another one with similar purposes later.

Also, you can now access to my /cvi steps that I am taking. Extra-accountability :wink:

1 Like

June Update to marcmarti’s Beeminder Journal

Hi everyone, exams are finally up and I think it is time for some update around my goals.

Goals in which I have succeded and now archived :slight_smile:

• /mroutinetrial: tracked my small morning routine for the period of exams (trial period, also). I will consider if I continue it.
  • /youbetterstudy: tracked the amount of hours I studied every day during the exam period. Average should be 3h a day. Even though I was not consistent, I achieved and pushed me to study some days I was quite lazy. I pledged 90$, so…
  • /blog: tracked the amount of blog posts I do in my personal blog. I started a new one (/blog2), for the months of summer.

Goals I am deleting

• /cvi: tracks the amount of tiny progress that I do in a personal project. It is the same concept for Beeminder’s UVIs, which I like. Deleting due to lack of understanding to how amount of work is required for +1 to be considered.
  • /fpp: is tracking a personal project which I do not want to fail. I didn’t understand pessmistic pressumption (is this how it is called?) - will restart maybe after consideration.

Goals still on track

• /fruittrial: tracks the amount of fruit pieces I am eating every day, trying to have 2,5 a day. It has charged me once and may do once more, depending on how my chart looks like after a non-legit derailment is fixed.

New goals

• /estrial: personal project that happens weekly or every two weeks (trial mode)
  • /ustrial: personal project that happens weekly (trial mode)
  • /shabtrial: i will be trying to dedicate a day week in which I don’t work at all, like Shabbat, and completely rest. That should happen weekly (trial mode).
  • /movetrial: i will be trying to go to the gym or do movement practice at least 30min a day for two days a week
  • /fruittrial2: will start after /fruittrial ends
  • /blog2: another tracking of weekly blogging for around 3 months
  • /beejournal: personal project that happens weekly or every two weeks (trial mode) will be tracking a monthly update here for a trial period of 3 months
  • /mroutinetrial2: another mourning routine, for a trial period of 3 months

What works really well for us is to publicly tweet our improvements. The criterion is then simply “is it in the spirit of the original goal and is it enough that we’re not embarrassed to count it?”.

This sounds like important feedback for us! Also we’ve been talking about pessimistic presumptive reports lately. (Or see the glossary entry.) When you say “didn’t understand” do you mean the concept didn’t make sense, or something about the implementation?

The short version is that if you don’t enter datapoints on a do-less goal, we enter them for you. Large (pessimistic) ones that will quickly derail you if you stick your head in the sand.

Sound like a good idea! Might consider, though if I do it again, I would do as I did, with a Google Doc instead of tweets, as I don’t have Twitter :wink:

It was something about the implementation for me, because I didn’t understand what pessimistic presumptive mean (and I didn’t read properly on the options available to do so).
I won’t do this goal again, as it no longer I am 100% interested in it; but gotta say that support was helpful in making me understand the concept and solve the problem.

1 Like

You’ll have seen our uvi blog post I’m sure.

A key part of making that work was accepting the most trivial of improvements in the early days. A look through the Beeminder change log will reveal the depths we would sink to in the early days in order to claim a point…

Start with a very unambitious definition of “improvement”, so that effort isn’t an issue. Our bright line was that it had to be something we’d tweet about, so as we got better at doing them, the bar raised gradually all by itself.

UVI #1 was establishing the UVI mechanism. Before we had a dedicated blogging goal, blog posts counted. Trivial bug fixes counted. Fixing bugs in features that we’d just UVI’d also counted. You name it, if we could bring ourselves to tweet about it as user-visible and an improvement, it counted.

And that low, low bar for the daily UVI was established while there were about 2 full-time equivalent people working on Beeminder. If there are fewer of you, with less time available, then scale back your expectations accordingly. In most of my personal endeavours, even a weekly UVI would result in miraculous progress…

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas, @philip :smiley: