My newest experiment: Locking myself into a routine

I thought of a fairly obvious way of doing it: The goals themselves. When I created them, I titled them in ways that I’d be fine with others seeing, so why not just show them to you? Everyone’s routine would be very personal anyway so this is probably plenty of detail. So here’s a shot of my Reminders page, with some of the irrelevant, non-routine-related goals removed so they aren’t in the way.

The reminders are scheduled to start 45 minutes before I actually intend to start each thing, and the deadline is set 1h 15m after I’m supposed to have started each thing, just so there’s some flexibility there. (This isn’t risky for me in the way it might be for some. I’m not especially likely to let each thing drift so that I’m pushing up against the deadline and an hour and a quarter late on everything each day Even if I did, though, my schedule would be just fine, so this isn’t a problem for me and can come in handy on the days my body decides I’m allowed to a little sleep more.)

The goal names aren’t visible, but I think you can mostly get the gist. The 6:20 AM one (5:35 reminder) that starts with “mh-write…” is a dissertation block that has an associated Toggl goal. The mh-Beeminder…" ones are both work blocks that have associated Toggl goals, and my cardio and strength goals also have separate auto-dialled goals. I also take breaks during my work and dissertation times and try to squeeze in some short cardio during those breaks, so that it doesn’t have to be just a separate block on its own.

I swing between getting up extremely early (between 3:30 and 5:00) and being awake for a couple of hours in the night before sleeping until 7ish and my partner needs a lot of sleep and has a recurring early morning meeting, so I go to be very early, hence the 9:00 PM lights out.

2 Likes