New feature: Dashboard view

I agree that adding the exact time of the last data entry would make the dashboard interface too cluttered. However, it strikes me that a nice balance could be had by displaying the timestamp when you hover over the tick mark (or the lack of tick mark).

Personally, I’m not sure why one would need to see the time of the last entry, so I’m not sure if this solution is entirely satisfactory. Perhaps @erickthered can further explain his use case?

2 Likes

The time doesn’t matter, but the day does. Although I guess the check mark is enough. If I’m worried that I’ve skipped a day I can always use the quick add from the goals page to see.

Ah! Now I know why I was confused about this. I don’t always see the check marks. I’m sure there was one next to my weight goal when I looked earlier today, but when I went to enter data there weren’t any. Could it be a time zone thing?

1 Like

I am not seeing that. I see “Optional comment” in gray text in the text box. Having a grayed-out last data entry would be REALLY helpful for me, as I am beeminding number of meals eaten at home (vs. dining out), and I use the comment field to make a quick note about Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. It would be helpful to see that if the comment box says “Lunch”, that means I still need to enter Dinner for today.

Knowing the time of last entry doesn’t matter to me, but being able to see the last-entered comment would be really helpful.

Aaaaand I just realized you are probably talking about the numerical textbox, not the comment textbox… Would it be possible to pre-populate (grayed out) the last-entered comment text as well?

1 Like

It could be an issue with how Beeminder thinks about “today” - it’s based on your deadline for the goal. So if you had a 2pm deadline, and entered data at 1pm, at 3pm the tick mark would no longer appear. Does that sound like the case you’re seeing?

1 Like

That helps to clarify, thanks! We’ve usually shied away from having the comment prepopulated since ideally they’re unique, and it would make it too easy to accidentally duplicate datapoints. But I think the middle ground here makes sense of having the placeholder text show the comment of the previous datapoint.

3 Likes

Yes…I just meant the placeholder text, to serve as a light reminder. Having it pre-populated would actually be an inconvenience, since it’s never the same from entry to entry and would have to be deleted first.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a case of me being confused by the goal deadlines. I entered a data point on weight2016 this morning and saw the check mark. Then I switched to the forum and went back to the dashboard view and there’s no check. The deadline for the goal is the default midnight.

This is with Chrome on Windows 10.

2 Likes

I’d be forgiving of any problems encountered today, there were a few strange things that were caused by the software upgrade.
Keep an eye on it and let us know if it happens again.

Edit: Looks like @apb has confirmed it below.

1 Like

Ah ha I see! Thanks for clarifying, I can reproduce the bug now so should have a fix soon.

All five of these are fixed and will be deployed shortly:

• autodata fetch bug (thanks @tomjen)
  • tabindexes on buttons (thanks @insti - though Safari ignores this)
  • the placeholder text showing the most recent datapoint’s comment (thanks @erickthered )
  • timestamp of last datapoint shows on mousing over the checkmark or lack thereof (thanks @andrewlu)
  • disappearing checkmark (thanks @bee for actually fixing)
2 Likes

@apb, would it be possible to un-mix the regular and backburnered goals, and put the backburnered ones at the end of the list? (at least when sorted by Deadline – not sure what makes the most sense for the other sort options)

1 Like

Can this timestamp be made to show in the user’s localtime?

2 Likes

They’re still a bit wrong, I get, data, comment, NEXT data, PREVIOUS submit,

I suspect this is due to duplicate tabindex values.

1 Like

This is actually intentional. We want to nudge you to ether restart or archive such goals.

1 Like

While we’re there, why not display the value and comment too? I keep loading individual goal pages to see what I last entered and when.

Try omitting the verbose text of “last datapoint entered” and go with a three line version:

2016-03-02 11:59
“optional comment”

Particularly since most of my goals are API-fed autodata, I see only an irrelevant ‘fetch data’ button where the data entry field might otherwise be, so I don’t even see the last entered value.

2 Likes

@apb, the “Optional comment” -> “Last-entered comment” placeholder text only seems to be showing up for goals created recently. Is that intentional? (I assumed it hadn’t made it to production yet for some reason, but I was surprised to see it work on a new goal I just made today) Is it possible to get this working on goals that have been in progress for a while?

Failing that, I also like @philip’s suggestion about the mouseover adjustment.

Thanks!

1 Like

Actually I take that back…maybe it’s only showing the system-generated/fake data points as placeholder text? I added a manual data point to my new goal, and now it’s back to saying “Optional comment” instead of “initial datapoint of 0 on the 2nd”

1 Like

It was, this appears to be fixed now.

1 Like

We’re intentionally not showing the comment if it’s the “initial datapoint of 0…” datapoint. This is for newbees so that they know what that field is for.

2 Likes

@apb: When submitting a new value from the dashboard, the color and other numbers update upon refresh, but the placeholder text doesn’t update until a full page reload. Is it possible to get the placeholder text to also update via AJAX upon data point submission? Thanks!

3 Likes