Reminding myself of a mantra every few hours

I’m looking for a way to send myself a reminder.

I found out that I can make myself happier by reducing the time frame of my thinking; said in another way, “living in the present moment”.

I’d like to receive a buzz every few hours on my watch that tells me to do this. It’d be nice if there was a button that I could click once I did the “reframing”; so it doesn’t become a useless reminder washed away by alarm fatigue.

My end goal is to build the habit of often reframing my thoughts to the present moment, in order to be happier.

My watch is a Pixel watch, and my phone is Android; I’ve thought about using a Tasker notification.

@alys do you know if such a workflow would be practical with Tasker? Like a notification that is dismissed by clicking a button that says “ok, I’ve done this” (or “sorry I’m not doing this now!!”)

4 Likes

Do you use iOS or android? I am guessing android because of the pixel watch but was not sure.

2 Likes

Tasker could certainly put a notification on your Android phone that would work as you describe, and quite easily (or at least easily for someone who has some Tasker knowledge).

I don’t have any experience with using Tasker with a watch, but I know Tasker does support at least some types of Android watches, and I’d have a high expectation that what you want would work on your Pixel watch.

I’d be happy to give advice about creating the Tasker task, if you’d like (at least for getting it working on your phone).

3 Likes

Android :robot:

@alys thanks! If you can write me general guidelines how you would accomplish it using Tasker, that would help me a lot :pray:

(I’m still very novice and had a lot of troubles finding how to do NFC-Beeminder with it :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

Firstly, there’s a couple of ways to create a notification in Tasker. One way is Tasker’s original method which uses the “Notify” action from the “Alert” Action Category. The other way is a newer method using the AutoNotification plugin (a separate install, might have a small cost after a trial period), and you’d find in the “Plugin” Action Category if you install it. I prefer the first method - it’s simpler to configure and I’ve found the Auto* plugins to be a little unreliable at times.

I’ll talk about only the first method here, but if you have questions about the second, feel free to ask (I might need to give vague replies, depending on the question). Also of course ask if you need clarification for anything else here!
Note that Tasker might show you some extra steps if you use features that you haven’t used before (for example, there might be some extra dialogues related to setting up notifications or notification categories), so if any of that isn’t self-explanatory, describe what you’re seeing and I should be able to help.

We’ll be making a Task, which creates the notification, and a Profile, which controls when the Task is run (i.e., when the notification will appear).

First create the Task and call it something like “ReframeCreateNotification”.
NB: I’ve found it’s helpful to use longer names rather than shorter ones for Tasks and variables, because if you want to use Tasker’s search feature to find every place where you refer to a Task/variable, the search might return a lot of irrelevant results if you have to search for a short name like just “Reframe”.

For the first action in the Task, you’ll be creating a variable that contains the title of the notification. It’s not strictly necessary to have this in a variable, but you’ll be using the title in a few places and it must be identical in them, so a variable is helpful.

• So, go in to the “Variables” Action Category and choose “Variable Set”.
  • The variable’s Name can be anything but use only lower-case letters so that the variable exists only within this Task (one or more upper-case letters would make it a Global variable, which isn’t bad but it would add unnecessarily clutter to the list of Global variables). I’ll call the variable %reframe_title
  • Put any text you want in the variable’s “To” field - whatever you want to see in the title of the Notification (e.g., “Reframing”).

Next go to the “Alert” Action Category and choose “Notify Cancel” (I’ll explain why later). In the Title field, enter %reframe_title

Now go back to the “Alert” Action Category and choose “Notify” - this is the Action that creates the actual notification, so it has a few settings:

• In the Title field, enter %reframe_title again.
  • The Text field can be left blank or you can enter a message (e.g., “Live in the present moment”).
  • You can ignore the next few settings or experiment with them later.
  • In the “Category” field, enter something like “ReframeNotification” (I’ll describe what the Category does later).
  • You’ll see an “Actions” heading with a plus icon under it. Click the plus to start configuring the notification’s first button:
    • For the Label, enter anything (e.g., “ok, I’ve done this”).
    • For the Action:
      • tap on the search icon
      • select the “Alert” Action Category
      • select “Notify Cancel”
      • in the Title field, enter %reframe_title
  • Go back a couple of times until you see the “Actions” heading again. Click the plus again to start configuring the notification’s second button:
    • For the Label, enter anything (e.g., “sorry I’m not doing this now!”)
    • For the Action do the same steps that you did for the first button

Go back about three times and you should be in the Task’s main screen, looking at the three actions you’ve created.

Make sure that the actions are in the right order:

1. Variable Set
  2. Notify Cancel
  3. Notify

Run the Task using the right-pointing arrow at the bottom left of the screen.

The notification should appear.

You can use your phone’s normal notification settings to adjust what sound the notification makes, whether it pops up on screen, etc. When you configure it, you’ll see the same notification Category name that you entered earlier (“ReframeNotification” if you used the example text I used above). This is what the “Category” name is for - to identify the type of notification in Android notification settings. The Category name does not actually have to contain “Reframe” in it. You could use a generic name, if you want to share the same notification settings between a lot of different Tasker Tasks.

If you run the task again, the notification will be cancelled (because of the “Notify Cancel” action) and then recreated. The “Notify Cancel” action is not strictly necessary in most circumstances but I always include it just before creating a notification. The Cancel action won’t have any effect if the notification doesn’t already exist, so it can’t do any harm. If the notification does already exist, it’s occasionally necessary for it to be cancelled before a new copy of the notification will work correctly (e.g., if you change some of the notification’s settings in the Task, then the changes might not apply until the old notification is cancelled). Note that you MUST use the same Title in the Task’s “Notify Cancel” and “Notify” actions, and also in the “Notify Cancel” action that is in each button, so that’s why we put the title into a variable, instead of typing it out each time and possibly making a typo in one place.

When the notification exists, tapping either button should make it disappear. Run the Task again to make it reappear.

Once the Task is working as required, you can create a Profile to run the Task automatically:

• Go back one step to exit from the Task.
  • Go into Tasker’s “PROFILES” tab.
  • Create a new Profile and call it anything (e.g., the same name as the Task: “ReframeCreateNotification”).
  • You’ll then be able to select the type of thing that will trigger the Profile: select “Time”.
  • Under “FROM”, select the time of day that you first want to see the notification, for example 08:00 for 8am.
  • Tap on “EVERY” and enter (for example) 2 to see the notification every 2 hours. (You could also tap on Hours to change it to Minutes if you want it to run very often.)
  • Under “TO”, select the time of day that you want the notification to stop being created, for example 22:00 for 10pm.
  • Go back, and you should then be prompted to select the Task that the Profile will run: choose the “ReframeCreateNotification” Task.
  • Exit from Tasker to save your changes (or tap the tick mark that you’ll see in Tasker’s top bar).

The Profile should now run the Task to create the notification every 2 hours.

If you want it to be run at random times, that’s possible with a bit of extra code. You’d change the “EVERY” option in the Profile to run the Task more often (e.g., every 15 minutes). You’d then add some actions to the start of the Task to get a random number and to only create the notification if the random number has a specific value (e.g., to give a 1 in 8 chance for the notification to be created, which means you’d see the notification every couple of hours on average, but not exactly every 2 hours). Ask if you’re interested in more details about that!

I do not know how you’d convert this to run on a watch, but I don’t think it would be too hard. Most things in Tasker are pretty easy once you’ve gotten over the learning curve. Although the learning curve can actually be quite large for some things… :slight_smile: It’s powerful, which means it can be complex.

4 Likes

I wanted to do something similar, and found an Android app called “Randomly RemindMe”, which pops up reminders with particular text at random intervals throughout the day. These also appear on my Pixel watch if it’s in range. Maybe something like this might work for you?

6 Likes

@alys I see what you just done here… Thank you so much for your extended tutorial. Rather than just being a tutorial, this is an art piece that will live in eternity in the glory of Tasker. I will follow it religiously, not because I think it’s the best, but rather to honour your dedication in writing it. Thanks

@clivemeister thanks, I’m installing it right now to give it a try :eyes:

2 Likes

@clivemeister I’m sorry, but I didn’t find the app on the Play Store… Would you mind sharing a direct link to it?

1 Like

This is the one I use - others are I’m sure available!

3 Likes