Smoother smoothing, death to the rosy line

Congrats, people!

In all my years I’ve only once used the rosy line in earnest (since a week or two), but I do find it really useful there.

If and when I were to start minding this metric, I’d want to maintain it below a certain level. But a certain level of fluctuation would be expected and the rosy line seems to help in not making me worry about those jumps.

With regards to the smoothing, I think no longer trailing the data is a fine improvement. I sort of get where @trb97horsegal is coming from. Maybe it’s more important that the smoothed line is still able to tell a story than that it’s the best fit or the most pleasing curve… No longer trailing the data does mean the line gets a little more obscured by the actual datapoints, but that’s probably an acceptable trade-off.

But lines like this can’t be fixed soon enough. A definite improvement all around there!

As an aside, I’m seeing this:
Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 13-51-55 Smoother smoothing death to the rosy line - Bugabee - Beeminder Forum
I’ve been going through quite some old threads and I’ve noticed a lot of broken image links. I never really looked into it and chalked it up to bit rot. Here’s a thread I don’t see a single image in: Zapminder! Share Zapier-mediated autodata ideas.

The errors are different, however. An Amazon S3 AccesDenied error for the recent one and 404s for the older Beeminder-hosted ones.

2 Likes