Todoist Do Less goal for overdue tasks?

Is there a way to connect to Todoist and make a goal to have 0 overdue tasks each day?

1 Like

Great idea! Sadly, at the moment, you can only count “completed tasks” from a Todoist category (label, project, etc). Still, it’s a good suggestion - you might add it to the http://beeminder.consider.it/ list!

It wouldn’t be at all hard to code it up yourself, if you’re into that sort of thing. The Todoist API will give you a list of your active tasks, complete with due date (or you could I think filter by due date earlier than today). So then you’d just count them and post the result to your do-less goal.

2 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t know we had a feature request leaderboard!

I’m a bit scared of coding tbh. But I’d commission someone to do it for me. If it would only take an hour, I could pay someone $20.

1 Like

Well if it’s any use, I did add it to my collection of Python beeminder tools (no payment necessary, I was curious as to how easy it was!). They’re up on github at clivemeister/beeminder and you’d want the “getTodoistOverdue.py” function.

You’ll need python installed, and the Todoist python libraries (with pip install todoist_api_python or your equivalent). Then make sure your beeminder and Todoist authorisation tokens are added to the beeminder.ini file, and you can do something like

py getTodoistOverdue.py --goal myOverdueGoal

It’ll then add a datapoint to your beeminder ‘myOverdueGoal’ goal, with the count of your overdue goals on Todoist. You can see the goals themselves with the -v flag, or just test it out without updating the goal with the -t flag.

3 Likes

Okay thanks!! I will try to figure this out.

1 Like

is there a way to automatize the data point? maybe using some tool online to run the script on a cron?

1 Like

now that I think about it, I would like something that count both due and overdue goals. Sort of behaving like the inbox-zero goal, where you get the number of total mails/goals that you have that day, and then work at bringing that to 0. A Whittle Down type goal

2 Likes