Upcoming changes period unit bug

I had my upcoming changes as following

Until 2016-12-25 increase at rate 20
Until 2016-12-26 increase at rate 18
Until 2016-12-31 increase at rate 15

All were “per day”.

Then this morning I decided to change the commitments to 500 per month because it is a nice around number, that roughly 16.5 per day, so the due in should be just slightly shorter than before, but it was a lot longer than before.

Some how Beeminder failed to multiply the entry Until 2016-12-31 increase at rate 15 (by day) by factor of 30.41 (or whatever number beeminder uses) and left it at 15, so the system thinks it is 15 per months instead of 15 per day.

So I changed it back to 15 per day in commitment to see if I can get the due in back to my original time left. Because the system thinks the 15 is 15 per months, and since I have now changed it back to per day basis, it changes that 15 to 0.49 per day. So now I have

Until 2016-12-25 increase at rate 20
Until 2016-12-26 increase at rate 18
Until 2016-12-31 increase at rate 0.49
Until 2017-07-20 increase at rate 15

I hope beeminder can fix this bug soon and improve on this by display the time unit upcoming changes so that both the system and the user can know exact what rate we are going to have in the future.

1 Like

This is actually the top bug on our bug list right now. Should be fixed soon! The code that deals with the road matrix is pretty complex since it handles stuff like changing the rate units, checking if a change makes the road easier or harder, etc, so it’s tricky to untangle but we have a pretty good idea what’s going on and just need to determine the best way to fix it.

So in the meantime, what should users do to overcome this bug?

Should I wait until all the upcoming changes has expired because changing the commitment with a different period unit?

The workaround in the meantime is to change the rate units (day, week, month) first, and then after the graph updates, change the number.

You can also always email support if a goal’s road gets messed up!

1 Like